Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

Was just reading about it in the guardian today, it's a bit insane.

That is to say, like the article today says, I don't see any harm in Classical Mythology courses (or even books) coming with a blanket warning "will 100% contain scenes of rape, incest and murder", but the idea that it should not be taught is mental.

At the same time, reading the original piece,

Columbia University students say identities matter in core curriculum classes

I think the students have a point. Passing over rape without comment and focusing on the 'beautiful imagery' is a mad idea. You can bet that they don't pass over the idea of slavery without clarifying that it was a different society and a different time. Besides which, they don't 'suggest' it shouldn't be taught, they suggest it should be taught differently.

Do adults need to be forewarned though? The fact they're studying it in college would suggest they are already familiar with the bizarre sex and violence of these myths.

Nasty things happened throughout history. Do school history books need a warning?

I dunno man, I just don't know

I'd imagine a lot of these people are only 17/18 year old kids for starters so I dunno about proper adults.

Anyway, there's a big question in that piece about canon-forming and the privileging of white men's work above others and there's definitely a link between this and assuming what should and shouldn't be shocking to people.

I remember mentioning the famine once in a class in the UK and being dismissively told "sure, that's not even classed as a famine anymore right? Just an irish historical myth". I was FUMING. My level of indignation over a historical detail makes me wonder how I'd feel if it was something current that could still actually still affect me.

Ultimately I don't see the harm if people are calling for it. It's not censoring the work.

Was it you that posted the quote" So that's what they teach you over there?"

Yes, angrifying.

Ok, while the way we teach these can always be improved, for example looking into the real causes and effects of wars, colonisation, societal issues etc, I feel that this is mollycoddling people who in their late teens should be mature enough to absorb unpleasant concepts. If they aren't, then perhaps the education system, or their parents have failed them all along.

Ok, while the way we teach these can always be improved, for example looking into the real causes and effects of wars, colonisation, societal issues etc, I feel that this is mollycoddling people who in their late teens should be mature enough to absorb unpleasant concepts. If they aren't, then perhaps the education system, or their parents have failed them all along.

Yeah i'm kind of in two minds about the whole thing as well

however,

I'm just glancing through this article here right now but it seems to address all the issues fairly well in favour of trigger warnings

My Students Need Trigger Warnings—and Professors Do, Too | The New Republic

I don’t mean to say that we should become licensed therapists or trauma experts on top of our ordinary specializations, or worse, to pretend to have expertise we haven’t earned. But so long as we’re happy to evangelize about the truly disruptive and real life-changing possibilities of our subject matter, we also need to be prepared to teach that difficult and sometimes disorienting material responsibly and attentively, not just to cast out barbs of hardcore human expression while we watch our students puzzle and weep.

I think it's a good point. If they claim to be teaching difficult ideas no teacher worth their salt should think that these ideas are self-evident; it'd be an insult to themselves and a put-down on their own years of learning if everyone could just take it for granted because they are an 'adult'.

But sure not to worry, the arts is already so devalued, underfunded and falling apart that soon there'll be no-one around left to traumatise students with greek myth because there'll be no jobs left teaching it. YAY

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back