Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

Nice to see Camile Paglia back in Salon. She's as mad a s a brush - and still better than any of the dross on Salon these days.

Trigger warning for people who think Emma Sulkoweitz mattress calvary was the best thing ever!

Camille Paglia: How Bill Clinton is like Bill Cosby - Salon.com

Salon has gone to shit lately.

I'm not sure why - But I think we are seeing the first generation of writers who's only experience is clickbait and who are completely beholden to a particular orthodoxy.

It make for some horrible boring journalism.

I can't stand Salon. Its increasingly absurd super-iberal interpretation of every little thing gives fuel to all the libtard haters

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It used to be absolutely fantastic:

Mr Blue
Ask the Pilot
Tom Tomorrow
Ruben Bolling
Farhad Manjoo
Glen Greenwald
Garrison Keillor
Camile Paglia
How the World Works
Scott Rosenberg
Gary Kamia

It's really difficult for me to comprehend how far it's fallen. It's only worth the occasional hate read now.

25% of the articles are "John Stewart said something last night"
25% are "thinkpieces" by some 22 year old who can't actually think
50% is campaign trail nonsense and vacuous gossip

I'd love to see a graph of the average length per article over the past few years. It has dropped like a stone.

Can anyone imagine Greenwald exposing the Snowden revelations here rather than in the Guardian - that world is just inconceivable now.

Christ there's a lot to take issue with in that Camille Paglia interview, even though I agree with some of her points. ow my head

These two people, Clinton and Cosby, are emotionally infantile–they’re engaged in a war with female power. It has something to do with their early sense of being smothered by female power–and this pathetic, abusive and criminal behavior is the result of their sense of inadequacy.

She has deep insights into their psyches. Can we say for sure that we know what motivated Cosby to engage in his criminal acts and Clinton in his lecherous ones?
Can we include Kennedy - a dog of a man - while we're at it, or does it ruin the symmetry with the initials?

Nest paragraph

Now, in order to understand that, people would have to read my first book, “Sexual Personae”–which of course is far too complex for the ordinary feminist or academic mind!

Hahaha! Of course!

She does this a lot.

50% of what she says makes you exasperated, but the other 50% makes you want to cheer.

The follow up interview has a lot to say about Dawkins which I agree with and about Hitchins in particular which made me want to giver her a big wet kiss.

She also has a weird fascination with Drudge and Limbaugh,

But she has a good ear for hypocracy from the left, is impatient with the current fashion to regard conservatives as either stupid or immoral and the current fashion of victimology. So I figure she's worth paying attention to.

I don't agree with her on everything - be we seem to hate the same things - so I like her.

And let's face it when was the last time you ever read something unexpected on Salon.

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

"The press has typically described these developments as a resurgence of political correctness. That’s partly right, although there are important differences between what’s happening now and what happened in the 1980s and ’90s. That movement sought to restrict speech (specifically hate speech aimed at marginalized groups), but it also challenged the literary, philosophical, and historical canon, seeking to widen it by including more-diverse perspectives. The current movement is largely about emotional well-being. More than the last, it presumes an extraordinary fragility of the collegiate psyche, and therefore elevates the goal of protecting students from psychological harm"

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

"The press has typically described these developments as a resurgence of political correctness. That’s partly right, although there are important differences between what’s happening now and what happened in the 1980s and ’90s. That movement sought to restrict speech (specifically hate speech aimed at marginalized groups), but it also challenged the literary, philosophical, and historical canon, seeking to widen it by including more-diverse perspectives. The current movement is largely about emotional well-being. More than the last, it presumes an extraordinary fragility of the collegiate psyche, and therefore elevates the goal of protecting students from psychological harm"

Okay I read all of that.

I still don't see the harm in throwing in a trigger warning for those who want them.

People should have a large trigger warning painted on their bedroom ceiling so every morning they can be warned; "Caution: you will experience life on planet earth today. Some things you will encounter may upset you."

The current movement is largely about emotional well-being. More than the last, it presumes an extraordinary fragility of the collegiate psyche, and therefore elevates the goal of protecting students from psychological harm

Doesn't this run through a lot of activism of this sort though?
Please stop putting photos of sexy people on magazine covers as it makes people feel bad about themselves, the activists will say.
As if the problem lay solely with the magazine and had nothing whatsoever to do with our ability to robustly engage with our environment.
Seems all of a piece. No one can handle anything.
It's all outrage, blame and offense. No one seems to have any use for stoicism and self-control and taking responsibility.

Also, in my day, you did a fair day's work for a fair day's pay!!

Doesn't this run through a lot of activism of this sort though?
Please stop putting photos of sexy people on magazine covers as it makes people feel bad about themselves, the activists will say.
As if the problem lay solely with the magazine and had nothing whatsoever to do with our ability to robustly engage with our environment.
Seems all of a piece.
It's all outrage, blame and offense. No one seems to have any use for stoicism and self-control and taking responsibility.
I agree to an extent, but "taking responsibility" is what those on top use against anyone who wasn't born into their fucking privileged life. It's among the most right-wing attitudes out there.

Also how can we deal with our environment if we insist on telling those who question it to shut the hell up, life is hard, your triggers are childish and you need to be silenced.

Also, in my day, you did a fair day's work for a fair day's pay!!
If that day ever existed it's LOOOOOONG gone :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back