Trigger Warning (4 Viewers)

Also how can we deal with our environment if we insist on telling those who question it to shut the hell up, life is hard, your triggers are childish and you need to be silenced.

As articulated in pretty much every article on this thread the issue is that people are overdoing this. It's impossible to know what effect certain every day words, thoughts, ideas will have on someone. Nothing can change that. My beef is with the downright silly shit cited in these articles, Violence in Shakespearean plays or other classic literature, and the like. If this upsets you you need psychological counselling.

Also how can we deal with our environment if we insist on telling those who question it to shut the hell up, life is hard, your triggers are childish and you need to be silenced.

Well, exactly. If someone has said something that you just can't handle. What does that say about you?
Or you saw something that made you feel bad about yourself?
Is it solely the thing, or is it partly how you engage with it?

There's a bit of a difference between a targeted comment designed to belittle someone and stuff that's just... there.

There's a bit of a difference between a targeted comment designed to belittle someone and stuff that's just... there.

Steady on there, Pete.

But yes.

That American biddy was having a go. It's probably not something a Brit would have done to his face, or certainly not while sober.

As articulated in pretty much every article on this thread the issue is that people are overdoing this.
Sure, there's definitely a middleground that can be reached.

It's impossible to know what effect certain every day words, thoughts, ideas will have on someone. Nothing can change that. My beef is with the downright silly shit cited in these articles, Violence in Shakespearean plays or other classic literature, and the like. If this upsets you you need psychological counselling.

It's more about how they are taught. There's reams of literature that's fallen out of the canon because it was no longer relevant or its ideas were seen as alien or offensive to the current day, this isn't a new idea.

And sure, it's impossible to teach Greek classics without talking about society that on the surface was A-OK with rape, but it is possible to think about this in the classes rather than just going "nah, sure that's the Greeks for you! Look at the beautiful magery though!"

Well, exactly. If someone has said something that you just can't handle. What does that say about you?
Or you saw something that made you feel bad about yourself?
Is it solely the thing, or is it partly how you engage with it?
WHAT? This is suddenly far too abstract for me.

I think I was trying to say that we should be able to deal with society more robustly than get hurt or offended by what's out there.

Maybe went on a bit.
Well, I mean, here we have the straight, while male saying to everyone else that it's their own fault that they can't deal with the society that was set up in favour of the straight, white male.

I know you don't actually think that, at least I fucking hope not, but COME ON.

Well, I mean, here we have the straight, while male saying to everyone else that it's their own fault that they can't deal with the society that was set up in favour of the straight, white male.

I know you don't actually think that, at least I fucking hope not, but COME ON.
I'm a foreign immigrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back