Trigger Warning (2 Viewers)

This describes a system that tolerates rape with near-impunity.
Which reads to me like a culture where rape is facilitated.

It 'tolerates' it because that's the law- innocent until proven guilty and guilt to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. It's not about facilitation of rape (or any other crime for that matter), it's the cornerstone of every legal system I can think of.

are you still referring to the FBI data from 1991 to 2010? that shows a decline of about 2% while violent crime overall declined by about 40% in the same period. i'm not sure why you've tied your entire argument to that trend. from the way you've phrased things it sounds like you think 'rape culture' is supposed to be a recent development.

I'm referring to figures that show a drop, in absolute numbers from 106, 593 to 84, 767 or, per head of population from 42.3 to 27.5 per 100, 000.
I'm tying my argument to that because I don't see any other tangible measure to use as an indicator of the existence of a rape culture or not.
As before, if there ever was a rape culture it is clearly in decline even as proponents of the idea become ever more vocal.

Is there any evidence to show that the "decline in the number of rapes" is not tied to a decline in reports being made, or accepted? That is the question you need to ask yourself. The number of rapes you refer to are those reported.

Well yes actually, Bureau of Justice Statistics Female Victims of Sexual Violence, 1994-2010

"From 1995 to 2005 sexual violence... declined 64% from 5.0 per 1000 to 1.8 and remained unchanged through 2010... based on data from the NCVS", the NCVS being a body that estimates number and types of crimes not reported to police.

I'm referring to figures that show a drop, in absolute numbers from 106, 593 to 84, 767 or, per head of population from 42.3 to 27.5 per 100, 000.
I'm tying my argument to that because I don't see any other tangible measure to use as an indicator of the existence of a rape culture or not.
As before, if there ever was a rape culture it is clearly in decline even as proponents of the idea become ever more vocal.
overall violent crime in the US dropped from 44 to 15 per 1,000 in the same period, or a decrease of 66% as compared to a 35% decrease in rapes, which in fact demonstrates a slower decrease in rape rate as a subsection of violent crime.
how are you separating the causative factors to make that a measure of cultural attitudes to rape specifically?

I don't see any other tangible measure to use as an indicator of the existence of a rape culture or not.
how 'bout this:

100 per cent of Paris women surveyed 'victims of sexual harassment on public transport' - Telegraph

or these figures from the BJS press release you linked above:

"In 1995, 29 percent of rape or sexual assault victimizations against females were reported to the police. This percentage increased to 56 percent in 2003 before declining to 35 percent in 2010."

"The percentage of reported rape or sexual assault victimizations that resulted in an arrest either at the scene or during a follow-up investigation decreased from 47 percent in 1994-98 to 31 percent in 2005-10. Overall, out of the 283,200 annual average rape or sexual assault victimizations in 2005-10, both reported and not reported to the police, approximately 12 percent resulted in an arrest."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back