Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

don't you judge them!
Is there any science fiction, even allegorical, about the internet basically making the mankind crazy?

And it's gotta suck if you're struggling with gender identity and you have people that think they're guinea pigs and dopes that want to chop off their legs screaming "Me too!"
Each to their own and all, but this I can't imagine they need the extra baggage.

12063753_761724000640072_7394169291784499810_n.jpg

Haven't read back over all of this thread because I think it might trigger me but I did read that article that yesterday that Cormoclash just linked to. Then I stumbled across this, which seems to me an actual fair and balanced view (in a teaching context anyway) .....

The Trigger Warning Myth

By the way, the "myth" part here is not that they are not necessary or that we can't hurt people by the things we say. The myth is that this is some new phenomenon. It's part of being a decent human being to be sensitive to other people's experiences and always has been. Also, that the furore over the issue is completely blown out of proportion and being used as a weapon in various ideological battles .....

Haven't read back over all of this thread because I think it might trigger me but I did read that article that yesterday that Cormoclash just linked to. Then I stumbled across this, which seems to me an actual fair and balanced view (in a teaching context anyway) .....

The Trigger Warning Myth

By the way, the "myth" part here is not that they are not necessary or that we can't hurt people by the things we say. The myth is that this is some new phenomenon. It's part of being a decent human being to be sensitive to other people's experiences and always has been. Also, that the furore over the issue is completely blown out of proportion and being used as a weapon in various ideological battles .....

Yeah, I'd disagree with the whole idea of calling them 'trigger warnings' – it's a bullshit term that someone came up with and has become popularised to the extent that it is now being used as an ideological weapon, like you say.

The Trigger Warning Myth

That's a great piece, by the same person who wrote the piece i posted wayyyyy back on page 5 - Trigger Warning

That trigger warnings are rare, and may be of occasional benefit to professors like me who employ them, is too inconvenient a reality for those who are busy waging war on political correctness.

ahem @Cormcolash

Trigger warning: Old dead white male authors:
It's like something out of Orwell, a two minute hate against tolerance in the name of tolerance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back