Transcendental Meditation (1 Viewer)

cunt

I know it sounds a bit wanky and pretentious, but has anyone tried it or have any stories? David Lynch swears by it I've heard it's great for relaxation. Could do with an alternative to spliffs at this stage!

A friend says when she does this she leaves her body and reaches an astral plane, Jeff Buckley does be waiting there for her, they're in love apparently.

I think she might be crazy though.

i knew this dude once, and he was about 80 odd when i was talking to him. he was telling me that for his 65th birthday he decided to climb croagh patrick to prove to himself that he was still fighting fit andf what not. so when he got to the top he decided to have a meditate to enjoy the moment and seal the deal, so he's meditating for a a while and he started to have an out of body experience, in which he was watching himself meditate on top of the mountain. a few minutes into this he realised that he was actually watching himself have a minor heart attack and having a near death out of body experience. so he dived back into himself and grabbed his pills.

Thats total bollix, its the most wonderful, amazing thought provoking and head wreaking thing imaginable.

Are you accusing me of being the perpetrator of a terminilogical inexactitude?

it's just the totally bollocks philosophy bukes i've picked up over the years, where you'd want a phd just to be able to decipher the fucking title of it, and after days and hours you realise that they are, indeed, talking absolute shite, that rubbs off badly with me.

You'd swear the pricks are just trying to keep us unenlightened.

of course its not easy, its developed for over 2000 yrs. its taken for granted that you know the basic terminology and major philosophical ideas, imagine how tedious it'd be if we had to start from the ground up each time.
it took me days to understand just the introduction to kants critique of pure reason, doesnt mean it was'nt worth every second. though kant is a cunt.

maybe so but it still seems to me like a very exclusionist pursuit so i say down with philosophy and raze all schools thereof to the ground at once.

Lads, this is a thread about outward opening Transcendental Meditation, not inward looking philosophy. Please stay on topic.

Actually, I considered going for a TM thing. Seems so easy. One lesson or something and they tell you your word and a lifetime of bliss is just a few mins of daily meditation away. Thing is though, Mike Love is a famous practitioner. And Mike Love is, and let's not mince our words here, an absolute cunt.

Its expensive
Some people have shit experiences
Made famous by the beatles

Go to the Dublin buddhist centre and do regular meditation for much cheaper

it took me days to understand just the introduction to kants critique of pure reason, doesnt mean it was'nt worth every second. though kant is a cunt.

I can't stand I. Kant

I've meditated, and done Yoga, no Transcendental experiences though. Experiencing a feeling that I was floating was about as close as I got.

Its expensive
Some people have shit experiences
Made famous by the beatles

Go to the Dublin buddhist centre and do regular meditation for much cheaper

my experience -
- it's expensive if you go down the route of learning it through the official Transcendental Meditation folks. it was something like $1000+, maybe more, when I investigated in the states out of curiosity a few years back.
- there seemed to me to be scammy aspects to that organisation
- there are ex TM'ers who offer to teach the technique for next to nothing though. their attitude seems to be that official TM is a rip-off, but that the technique does work, and is not a big mystery, so they choose to teach the technique for like $30 (you get a PDF and an mp3)
- type "natural stress relief" in google and it's the first result
- I showed what I got from those folk to a good friend who had gone down the "official TM" route and he agreed that it was basically the same as what he'd learned going the official route. he has been doing it for years and continues to do it, and attributes it as saving his life, but he is still a pretty weird and neurotic (albeit nice) dude despite his regular practise of it.
- the technique did "work" for me reducing stress and clearing my head, in the same way that saying a decade of the rosary every night probably has a meditative effect on some people, or praying to allah 5 times a day has for muslims or whatever. it's just another form of clearing your thoughts for a while. i did find it effective, but not a mystical experience, and I didn't use it as a starting point on a religious journey, didn't follow up buddhism or anything
- I don't do it any more because I am a lazy undisciplined pile of shite, i probably should get back to it
- David Lynch's book 'catching the big fish' or whatever it's called is good.

is david lynch not mental though? how can you be sure you won't end up in a psychological landscape where a sinister dwarf can be talking to you at a party and answering the phone in your gaff AT THE SAME TIME.

I learned TM many years ago when it didn't cost quite so much. It's a good and healthy thing to do but The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson is worth getting, it'll probably cost you no more than 10 or 12 euro and teaches you the very same type of meditation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back