Tour de France 2007 thread (1 Viewer)

there's a lad on boards who's a monster. he once cycled from his home in skerries to do the wicklow 200, and on the way home decided 'sure it's a nice day so i'll take in a lap of howth too'. weirdly, he hasn't gotten into audax.

Samuel Cabrera (1960 - 21 March 2022)
Cabrera was one of the first Colombians to ride the Tour in 1983 as part of the Colombian national team.
One of them Edgar Corredor finished ahead of winner Fignon on all the mountain stages but only got 16th on GC.
Cabrera rode 6 Tours from 1983-89 and finished 11th in 1986, his best result in Europe.
Racing for Reynolds and Cafe de Colombia he also rode 4 Vueltas and a Giro.
Samuel died after being struck by lightning working on his farm.

what do we all thing of the furore surrounding dropper seatposts then?

they outlawed the 'tuck' position, citing it as dangerous, so looks like this is a way around that rule.

Not sure they could outlaw this even if they wanted to. Someones seatpost could drop by itself cos reasons. It'd be harsh to penalise someone for, effectively, a mechanical.

Anyway I'd say its more likely the drugs than the dropper that won MSR for Mohoric. Gas, the slovenians are the new Kazahkstanis.

I was once a demon for winter miles. Now I can barely get my arse out of bed.

I wasn't putting in the sort of miles you did but the primary reason I took up the yoga was because of a stinking winter cold I couldn't shake for weeks so one January I changed routine "just till it warms up," I haven't been on a bike since.

I was once a demon for winter miles. Now I can barely get my arse out of bed.
I've noticed the moment I think, I'm fucked.

The only way to put miles in is when I can engineer life to be on the bike before the brain starts up. So you need to get your coffee in, food in, gear on, and clipped in before your brain knows what's happened. Everything needs to be total routine: bed at 11, up at 8, bike at 8.30, ride. Work at 2. Bed at 11...

Even if the routine is: meet the club at 8.30 Sat/Sun that's good enough. If I so much as stop moving I'm in trouble. Starting back into the routine takes monumental effort.

wasn't paying any attention to this until Eddie took the lead -

Eddie Dunbar has won Settimana Coppi e Bartali 5 day stage race.
He finished 2nd on stages 1 and 3 taking the lead after stage 2 and took out his first pro win today.
Coppi e Bartali stage 1
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Coppi e Bartali stage 3

Epic moment in the history of cycling at Ghent-Wevelgem in last 20 minutes!!!
Absolutely ecstatic for the guy.
And he slayed the Jumbo-Visma behemoth into the bargain.
A great day.

Epic moment in the history of cycling at Ghent-Wevelgem in last 20 minutes!!!
Absolutely ecstatic for the guy.
And he slayed the Jumbo-Visma behemoth into the bargain.
A great day.
Just reading about this Girmay guy, I didn't see him coming up the ranks at all. Amazing finish, it would be wonderful if he could rack up some results. It looks like Intermarche aren't sending him to the Tour unfortunately.

Just reading about this Girmay guy, I didn't see him coming up the ranks at all. Amazing finish, it would be wonderful if he could rack up some results. It looks like Intermarche aren't sending him to the Tour unfortunately.

same here -I didn't know Girmay until he got talked up as a favourite for the U23 Worlds last year. he got silver in the RR. from then on we knew he was the best black rider in the peloton so far.
very keen to see how he got on this year, so a stage win in Mallorca,12th in San Remo and 5th in E3 on Friday, built the momentum.

in 2015 I predicted a black rider would win a big race by the end of the decade but it took a bit longer.
things seemed to be going backwards the in 20-21, some grand tours only had one black rider on the start list.
will be interesting to see what reaction this gets outside cycing circles.
when the breakthrough finally happened I never foresaw it would be in a Flemish race!

Eurosport article on Biniam Girmay's prospects from over a year ago:
Who is Biniam Girmay? The supremely talented youngster who has beaten Remco Evenepoel

EDIT: PS -
just realised ERITREA has it's own script which looks really cool.

EDIT: PS -
just realised ERITREA has it's own script which looks really cool.
Oh yeah? As in not Aramaic? I know the Ethiopians use Aramaic, and I thought the Eritrean's did too because it looked similar to me. There's a huge Ethiopian and Eritrean community in DC area for some reason, there's shops with Aramaic shopfronts. Usually there's English translations alongside, but not always.

Oh yeah? As in not Aramaic? I know the Ethiopians use Aramaic, and I thought the Eritrean's did too because it looked similar to me. There's a huge Ethiopian and Eritrean community in DC area for some reason, there's shops with Aramaic shopfronts. Usually there's English translations alongside, but not always.
yes - you are right.
I wasn't familiar with it and thought it looked cool. I didn't know if it was the same script used in Ethiopia.

yeah, I heard DC has a big Ethiopian community. do you get to hear Ethiopian music over there?
I remember listening to an Ethiopian record by a musician who lived in DC in the 80's.

yes - you are right.
I wasn't familiar with it and thought it looked cool. I didn't know if it was the same script used in Ethiopia.

yeah, I heard DC has a big Ethiopian community. do you get to hear Ethiopian music over there?
I remember listening to an Ethiopian record by a musician who lived in DC in the 80's.

I did, yeah. A bit. My neighbours were Ethiopian, and they were insanely hospitable.
But, it was quite conservative trad stuff? I think? They were very religious, so the music tended to be associated with religious times of the year.
Another fun fact is Ethiopians have their own calendar, their own year. They also have their own version of Christianity (which to my eyes looks very close to Judaism). So I reckon their version of Christianity somehow derives from just after the Christian cults split off from the Temple cult (ie Judaism).

I should have gone off adventuring by myself more.

yes - you are right.

oh no, wait, yeah, I wrote Aramaic. I meant to say Amharic. I was reading old religious stuff and I got them mixed up.
At the top of the wiki link it explicitly says "NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH". Haha. Close enough wha?

After the Stalinist goverment ('The Derg') was overthrown in 1991 by the....
ETHIOPIAN PEOPLE'S REVOLUTIONARY DEMOCRATIC FRONT faction, the Israeli goverment sent a load of planes to get any Ethiopian Jews who wanted to settle in Israel and thousands left over the course of a week.
more recently DNA tests showed the Israeli Jews, who believe they are descended from one of the tribes of Israel, did indeed have some Judean ancestry.

also the Ark of The Covenant is supposed to be in Ethiopia. a few priests look after it and it's a gig for life and they are the only people allowed to see it!

Ethiopian urban music from the 60's and 70's prior to the Stalinist takeover got popular in the 90's and has been mentioned on thumped a few times over the years. these comps introduced the music of that era to the world:

only just heard this now -
Scottish cycling journalist Richard Moore died on monday aged 49. He had been covering Wevelgem the previous day. He had a suspected heart attack.
Moore was a Scottish national champion and competed at the Commonwealth Games. He wrote a string of books most notably his highly praised bio of Robert Millar. His book Slaying The Badger about the LeMond v Hinault 1986 Tour rivalry is also excellent. Richard also founded and presented The Cycling Podcast.

Hans Junkermann (1934 - 11 April 2022)
Junkermann was probably Germany's first Tour star in the early 60's, finishing 4th on GC (1960), 5th (1961), 9th (1963 and 64). Junkermann also finished 6th in the 1961 Giro and 7th in the 1965 Vuelta.
His best wins were the 1957 Zurich GP, the Tour de Suisse in 1959 and 1962 and the 1963 Henniger Turm (GP Frankfurt).

In 1962 Junkermann was a key figure in the suspicious abandonment of 14 riders on one stage at the Tour known as the Wiel's affair which had echoes of the PDM scandal in 1991.
As leader of the Wiel's team (who lost four riders that day) Junkermann was in 7th place on GC when he got severely ill and had to quit as did 14 other riders who stayed in the same hotel. Tour Doctor Pierre Dumas suspected doping but all the riders blamed 'bad fish'. The hotel insisted fish weren't on the menu that night and supplied the menu to prove it.
see doping section of 1962 Tour wiki:

EDIT: fixed procyclingstats.com link

Last edited:
only just heard this now -
Scottish cycling journalist Richard Moore died on monday aged 49. He had been covering Wevelgem the previous day. He had a suspected heart attack.
Moore was a Scottish national champion and competed at the Commonwealth Games. He wrote a string of books most notably his highly praised bio of Robert Millar. His book Slaying The Badger about the LeMond v Hinault 1986 Tour rivalry is also excellent. Richard also founded and presented The Cycling Podcast.
I had some interactions with Moore on twitter several years ago. He was very decent. He sent me a signed copy of one of his books. Can't recall off-hand which one, but I thought it was a very nice gesture of him. More recently he went a bit pro-Sky and a little too defensive of obvious dopers. I lost a little bit of respect for him, but there was never any question he was one of the good ones. A superb writer too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back