Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen (1 Viewer)

Lenny has a similar condition to Stevie Wonder .. change of interpretation of cool, narrowing of audience etc.

I mean if I play the new Lenny record to my Ma, who likes his older stuff, she thinks it's great and doesn't really get pissed off by the production. (I think it's great but cringe most of the way through )

Therefore- when you get older, different things are cool, or you're not as snobby as us young 'uns.

And Stevie beats them both hands down. highfive.

Rimbaud said:
I have`nt listened to enough Waits to comment anyways.
that kinda thing gets me into trouble, made me listen to more leonard buh!bing

I think you'd like waits, swordfishtrombones is beefhearty, a hard listen but worth it, "murder in the red barn" and "heart-attack and vine" type stuff is more dirty blues, visceral!

He did make shite of bryars piece but that was at the composers invite so...

I've often thought about how some artists seem to have a bit more longevity, and some seem to lose they're way as they get older. Lose the muse or whatever. Tom waits is still making music on a par with some of his best work in his earlier creative peak, whilst Cohen, Wonder, Bowie, Reed etc; churn out some awful bollox that, if you didn't know was them you wouldn't even pay attention too. But that's not to say that I think he's better than Stevie or whoever in the long run...

hag said:
for serious buh, i would prefer to see cohen. he's so suave, my hero.
at the gig i was at, i remember seeing at least one middle-aged woman coming up to the stage and throwing roses at him...

Wheels said:
Tom waits is still making music on a par with some of his best work in his earlier creative peak, whilst Cohen, Wonder, Bowie, Reed etc
I think Cohen's turning out new songs as good as anything he's ever done, it's just that he's a terrible, terrible arranger.
According to my Bowie-obsessed brothers, DB's most recent album is the equal of anything he's ever done. Don't know if I believe them, and I'm not arsed putting in the effort to find out

Praps it's something to do with the oldsters not knowing how to use the new technologies and having their good qualities drowned rather than enhanced by them?

i thought ten new songs was fairly cool. not on a par with his earlier stuff of course but decent enough at the same time. tom waits on the other hand is definitely still putting out stuff on a par with his best work. i don't know which one i'd go to though if they were on at the same time. i like zita's story.

egg_ said:
According to my Bowie-obsessed brothers, DB's most recent album is the equal of anything he's ever done. Don't know if I believe them, and I'm not arsed putting in the effort to find out
has bowie done anything worthwile since scary monsters? don't think i could be arsed finding out either. pity, since the stuff he was doing up til then was amazing.

ddmurph said:
has bowie done anything worthwile since scary monsters? don't think i could be arsed finding out either. pity, since the stuff he was doing up til then was amazing.
I think he has
the Let's Dance, Tonight and NLMDA plus Tin Machine all had their moments (i.e. 3 or 4 really worthwhile tracks)

as had BTWN, 1Outside + Earthling
...hours and Reality were almost real returns to form -

In my onion Bowie is capable of brilliance - still
but not capable of making a truly brilliant album anymore

nlgbbbblth said:
I think he has
the Let's Dance, Tonight and NLMDA plus Tin Machine all had their moments (i.e. 3 or 4 really worthwhile tracks)

as had BTWN, 1Outside + Earthling
...hours and Reality were almost real returns to form -

In my onion Bowie is capable of brilliance - still
but not capable of making a truly brilliant album anymore
Didn't like the last effort but plenty of great stuff down through the years alright.

Mr leonard cohen for me. Even "i'm your man" with its cheesey as fuck production is still pretty spectacular and even Jennifer Warnes cover album "Famous blue raincoat" is good.

I think Reality by Bowie is actually pretty good also.

I like things good.

nlgbbbblth said:
...hours and Reality were almost real returns to form
cool. might check em out so. i heard heathen alright a while back and thought it had some decent enough stuff on it. i'd just kind of lost interest in him really though so it didn't really grab me that much.

ddmurph said:
cool. might check em out so. i heard heathen alright a while back and thought it had some decent enough stuff on it. i'd just kind of lost interest in him really though so it didn't really grab me that much.
jaysus
I forgot about Heathen in that list; yeah that's pretty good too in a 6/10 way

if you put the best songs from Bowie last 20 years on 2 CDs that would be a decent comp

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back