Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen (2 Viewers)

has anyone ever heard that tom waits song with the sample of the down-and-out singing. 'Jesus blood' or something.

sounds beautiful. then Waits comes in with his big out-of-place cartoon voice and overpowers the humble voice of the hobo, pushing it aside. I think it ruins it. i'll never forgive him for that one!

Jimcorr said:
Those songs could be so much better with real instruments. I'd love to see him with just a guitar, female backing singer, cello player, maybe a trumpeter dude. That's be class.
I'd love to see Tom Waits play with a Kazoo, a twenty quid Casio Keyboard and a metronome

He'd still be better than Leonard Cohen and all.

yeah i know, gavin bryars -> sinking of the titanic and all that.
Waits voice just ruins it. its like he's trying to steal everything that's conveyed through the hobos voice.

the version without is good though.

Zita said:
Fancy, that's by a composer called Gavin Briars. I agree with you too. There are versions without Tom Waits, but.

Zita said:
Leonard Cohen Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye versus Tom Waits So It Goes... Two of my favourite songs since forever. Cohen and Waits smile at each other, knowing that it's not the winning or losing that counts, and ice-skate away holding hands.
sometimes I love a happy ending.

no contest

Tom - genius bonkers music
Len - great poetry, unfortunately not a musical bone in his body

...tho len's songs sound great when other people do them, he needed the limelight i guess.:rolleyes:

egg_ said:
What?
You, sir, are crazy in the coconut
...and i make false teeth:D

Leonard cohen is fine with minimal arrangement, just him and a guitar/piano, just "the song" but hes made some wojus awful arrangements, the gospel choir in hallejujiah (sic oops!) for example, execrable!

Now that's not fair, i invoke my right to voice inflammatory opinions based on minimal information.:eek:

Am currently listening to him off interweb, the old stuff is nice but the newer stuff is just dodgy music. I can see why if you were hooked by the early stuff that you'd still find it interesting but for someone who was never a fan it just has no appeal.

I think the comparison got my goat, tom waits music has some similarities on the surface - simple chords, maudlin/plaintiff delivery etc... - but it goes in different directions, tom starts with something simple and beautiful and takes it somewhere weird, from what i've seen of cohen he just adds levels of blandness with leaden uninteresting arrangements.
IMHO, tom's is more interesting music.

course it's all subjective blah blah:p

The early stuff got me years ago - but his later stuff is terrible(i think)"I`m Your Man" etc...
Tom Waits, i find to be very different - maybe they share themes but musically - you said it - different directions.
I have`nt listened to enough Waits to comment anyways.

cohen because beefheart hates waits. what a sentence! for serious buh, i would prefer to see cohen. he's so suave, my hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back