Tom Waits for Dublin (2 Viewers)

So was nobody else at this who can tell us what it was like? Overheard some guy on the jerry lee last night who was raving that he played Tom Traubert's Blues...

Edit: good man JC!

I got a ticket last week, no bother, and so did the two other people I told to try.

Whasts the deal with no cameras, is that just bullshit, or were they enforcing it?

It was great when I could hear it clearly, was at the back of block A and the rain running down the outside of the tent was about half as loud as the music.

Whasts the deal with no cameras, is that just bullshit, or were they enforcing it?

I saw two people being told to put them away.

Security shined torches at anyone who got their camera or camera phone out - got more laxer as the gig went on though.

now im gettin excited !! hehe, gonna be brilliant! im bringing my dad whos been into him as longg as ive known him, he's ringing me all excited making sure i still have the tickets.

that. was. fucking. awesome.

after the first five minutes, i didn't care that i was on a plastic seat in a tent, i was on a plastic seat in a tent WITH TOM WAITS. he was really, astonishingly good and the band were top. and he played loads of stuff from frank's wild years and generally lots of great versions of songs i like.

agreed that the sound was slightly muddy at the start but it was pretty much spot-on later. i was also a bit worried about being able to see from my seat but it was actually absolutely fine.

i was actually quite enjoying the rain-on-tent, tom playing the piano combo from where i was sitting - it wasn't so loud it drowned him out, it just felt kind of ... cosy. i wasn't so thankful for the rain when cycling home, mind. damn you, waits, and your several rain-themed songs!

I got a ticket last week, no bother, and so did the two other people I told to try.

Mate of mine went last night & said it was full of cnuts watching the gig through their cameras. No hassle with ID at the gate but the bar closed bang on eight bells.

Oh and if you go for a slash you can't get back to your seat until Tom finishes the tune.

Halfway through the set he played 3 songs on the piano which were lovely.

Top night.

oh no, 4 songs on piano...

Waltzing matilda

on a nickel

christmas card from a hooker in minneapolis

was about to start "the house where nobody lives" then opted for "innocent when you dream"

I was not disappointed... but the seat were crammed so tight it was a joke and there are seats far left and right of the stage in the front rows you couldn't see the stage from. i'd be rightly pissed off if i paid 135 for that.

I was in block a, row aa and I was definitely strugglin with the sound. And while that seat was about halfway down (taking the tent as a whole), basically row 27, It felt like I was miles away. The tent is way bigger than I thought it would be, fairly shit to be honest (not to mention those back-breaking chairs). For the encore I jumped up and ran to the front, right in front of the front row, Tom was two or three metres away and it was a totally different experience. The encore was Jesus Gonna Be Here, Eyeball Kid and Time and I could see those big, shabby boots, the two pieces of glitter stuck to his face, one his forehead and the other on his chin like he'd cut himself shaving, the rest of the glitter on the platform jumpin up when he stamped... All his twitches and facial expressions. Sound up there was perfect. Lucky people who had tickets up the front, 2hrs and 45mins or more of that view and sound wouldve been unreal. Not particularly special from where I spent most of the night though. He is an amazing performer though. Highlight for me (besides the encore) was Falling Down. He opened with Lucinda, Rain Dogs, Falling Down. Not too sure after that but he also did Tom Traubert, Innocent when you dream, Lie to Me, God's away on business, bottom of the world, green grass, metropolitan glide, Christmas Card from..., Make it Rain (brilliant), Cemetry Polka, Get Behind the Mule, Cold Cold Ground, Singapore and Down in the Hole. If anyone is worried about the whole ticket, named person, id thing for whatever reason then dont be. There were two people checkin and only pickin out one out of every 10 or 20 people Id say. My friend got asked for id, my name was on his ticket and Id gone on and the security guard seemed happy enough the names matched, they didn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back