Tolkein's Children of Hurin (1 Viewer)

pretty remarkable posthumous achievement - published 30 years after he croaked and all!

i might have a crack at it once i've read the books i have had set aside for the last year and have been putting off.......

I read the Silmarillion. Read bits and pieces of the Lost Tales.

God help me I will give this a shot at some point in the next six months

The Silmarillion is one of my favourite books. The story of Hurin's kids is one of the most depressing tales ever.

Personally, I feel you really have to read the whole Silmarillion to make better sense of the story.

Like Pete, I gave up on The Silmarillion pretty early on... Is this new book going to be in a similiar style to that or in a more readable\less dense format?

oh, i'll be reading it. Just finishing up the Ring series now, then on to the Hobbit and the Silmarillion, and I'll finish with this one.

amazing. i've seen the movies literally dozens of times each, but have never read the books. i can't believe i never got into these before.

Like Pete, I gave up on The Silmarillion pretty early on... Is this new book going to be in a similiar style to that or in a more readable\less dense format?

the opening 20 pages or so of the silmarillion are probably the most difficult. The whole creation myth stuff is heavy going. It gets (a bit) easier.
I think the Children of Hurin is somewhere inbetween the historical/morte d'arthur style narrative of the Silmarillion and the proper book style of Lord of the Rings

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back