Tofu lovers: (1 Viewer)

damien

Since 2000
The New Sunrise in stoneybatter do a tofu version of almost all of their thai, viatnamese and chinese dishes. had a big lovely thai red curry from there t'other night, packed with tofu - 7 quid including rice. yum.

"We thought he was mad, but he had a lot of money and wanted us to find out what was going on," Fitzpatrick recalls.
Trustworthy article there, HMD.

No one badmouths tofu! :mad:

damien said:
The New Sunrise in stoneybatter do a tofu version of almost all of their thai, viatnamese and chinese dishes. had a big lovely thai red curry from there t'other night, packed with tofu - 7 quid including rice. yum.

Do they do faux-fu for the tofu intolerant?

they do everything with mixed veg as well as tofu. reckon i could live off them, lidl 99c fancy pasta and the occasional healthy band slop.

Wormo said:
Thanks for the heads up!
I'm gonna marry tofu. It's amazing.

Smoked tofu that you can munch as a snack is well tasty, but to be honest I've never found Tofu in a main to be that amazing. I mean it's nice, but if it isn't cooked right or long enough it can be pretty blando. Maybe it's 'cos I'm not a veggie.

I tried cooking Tofu for the first time the other night. After about half an hour in the oven at full heat it was still like jelly

You have to press tofu, the water packed in plastic type anyway. Between the backs of two plates, and weigh down with tins or whatever heavy articles you have in your kitchen.
Then it's all ready to soak up whatever flavour and liquids you cook it in, baked is good - with a tomatoey, chili sauce.
Chewy good, jelly bad.

frona said:
Trustworthy article there, HMD.

No one badmouths tofu! :mad:

actually the article says tofu and tempeh and properly fermented soy sauce is alright. the problem is using the raw bean and the parts of the bean in processed food and soy milk.

i wonder though, why they started using soy beans for animal feed, vegetable oil, textured protein mush etc. instead of using some other kind of bean thats more digestable?

or like whats the story, could u make tofu/milk from kidney beans or pinto beans or whatever?

scrambled to-fu rocks
tofu_scramble-713380.JPG

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
16 oz extra firm tofu, drained and pressed 1. heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. saute the garlic and onions until softened.
3. add the peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
4. add the cumin, thyme, paprika, turmeric and salt. mix well. add 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom to get all the spices.
5. crumble the tofu and add to the mixture in the skillet. mix well and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. serve immediately.

I got a good tip from the girl in the Chinese supermarket (now sadly closed). If you boil up tofu in a pot on a high heat for a few minutes before frying it, it gives it a nice, sorta stringy texture. I can't abide the stuff when it retains its jelly/cooked mushroom texture! Another way to texture it is to freeze and thaw it beofre cooking. I haven't tried the freeze method yet but you can make a sort of "tofu nuggets" this way.

Lucky I had a big lunch today. It's all about food on thumped at the moment!
prod_nature_tofu.jpg
MARYJANE said:
actually the article says tofu and tempeh and properly fermented soy sauce is alright. the problem is using the raw bean and the parts of the bean in processed food and soy milk.

i wonder though, why they started using soy beans for animal feed, vegetable oil, textured protein mush etc. instead of using some other kind of bean thats more digestable?

or like whats the story, could u make tofu/milk from kidney beans or pinto beans or whatever?
Yeah, I didn't read it through. I thought it was going to be another of those hysterical "soya beans will kill your sperm and turn you into a girl!" articles.

frona said:
Yeah, I didn't read it through. I thought it was going to be another of those hysterical "soya beans will kill your sperm and turn you into a girl!" articles.

well it kind of said that too..

but also that no one ate raw unfermented soya until recently when they started adding it to processed foods and people started drinking soy milk and all. and that in aisian cooking they would make soy milk but only to make tofu with, not to drink or use the oil.

so there isn't really any history of industrial processed soya it to say what effect it might have. i dunno, i mean this is just me reading that article, i never paid too much attention to soya before, but it all sounds plausible.. i guess its just another reason to not eat processed food

cost.

also, there has been an unlikely alliance recently between Mc Donalds and Greenpeace in stopping the sourcing of soy from rainforest areas. McDonalds have even started using their muscle to get others in the industry to join in.

companies like KFC have refused to join in - they continue to be complicit in land-grapping, clear-cutting and social injustice in the amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back