Thunder and Lightning rules! (1 Viewer)

I just went over the M1 flyover at Whitehall church.
There was a lake below where the road used to be with 1 car sitting in the middle, water up to the windows & the lights flashing.

Apocalypse NOW!!!

We need to bring back the Ringsend Car. It was pretty much developed so that people could stay relatively dry while crossing the flooded marshlands that were otherwise known as 'roads'.

In them days, you had a choice between getting a soaking wading through muck, or getting a bruised-up arse. And still probably getting splashed with muck.

some aulfella said:
The precise date of the introduction of hackney-coaches into Dublin we know not; but the first arrangement for regulating and controlling them was made in 1703, when their number was limited to 150, and each horse employed in drawing them was required to be "in size 14 hands and a half, according to the standard." The hackney-coaches we borrowed from our English neighbours, as their name imports; but our one-horse vehicles have always been peculiar to ourselves, and were in use long before anything of a similar kind was introduced into England. The earliest and rudest of these were the "Ringsend cars," so called from their plying principally to that place and Irishtown, then the resort of the beau monde for the benefit of sea-bathing. This car consisted of a seat suspended on a strap of leather, between shafts, and without springs. The noise made by the creaking of the strap, which supported the whole weight of the company particularly distinguished this mode of conveyance. Its merits may be judged of by the mode in which it is alluded to by Theophilus Cibber, in his familiar epistle to Mr. Warburton in 1753:- "There straddles he over the buttocks of the horse, with his pedestals on the shafts, like the driver of a Ringsend car, furiously driving through thick and thin, bedaubed, besplashed, bespattered, and besmeared."
The Ringsend car was succeeded by the "noddy," so called from its oscillating motion backwards and forwards. It was a low vehicle, capable of holding two persons, and drawn by one horse. It was covered with a calash, open before, but the aperture was usually filled by the "noddy-boy," who was generally a large-sized man, and occupied a seat that protruded back, so that he sat in the lap of his company.

Is that picture recent or from the last tim ethat particular road flooded?

If it's recent, then the NRA should be shot, as should the council, as should the Government.

I presume it's from this time -- there was a very similar image on the news.

We're busy trying to find out if my sis in law's insurance company has an emergency number.

If anyone has dealt with JLT before and knows how to contact them outside business hours, that'd be really handy.

Anyone know what places in the city centre were flooded?

I just don't understand how a capital city could have such poor drainage and flood so quickly. Mr Jane also pointed out that to watch or read the news about it, you could be forgiven for thinking that the water only went into the road.

This place is fucked if anything major ever happens. I mean, not that this isn't major for the people who've lost everything, but you know what I mean.

The flooding website mentions loss adjustors -- has anyone ever used one? are they scum or are they worthwhile?

Also, the fucking flooding dot ie website is fuckered. I mean, the entire list of 'advice' just places all of the responsibility on the person who was flooded because we have SHITTY DRAINAGE. The part about making sure your house doesn't get robbed -- that's where I pretty much hit the roof.

Around Donnycarney Church was unbelievable, the road was like a river at the junction. I had to brave the elements to go see my mate in a play,the fruits of my labour have been rewarded with a sore throat and cold today. I sat in soaking wet shoes and jeans for 4 hours!!!I am a saint..

kind of sad I missed this thread as it was happening

I almost drowned in my park last night

backroads from blanch to finglas are fine buy the m50 between them is fucked, makes sense i guess. . .

DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Christ, johnnystress -- where were those top 2 pics taken?

Is your house okay? I know yiz live out in la burbia, and I heard there were some pretty fucked up floods around Leixlip and Lucan and stuff.

They were taken by someone in Blanchardstown! My gaff is fine thankfully, apart from a leak in the roof and broken gutters.

Leixlip had some badly flooded areas I heard but i stayed in the house all day...fretting.

A new house down the road has had its foundations turned into a swimming pool- poor bastards

We got off very lightly.

Are those flkr photos in Littlepace/Damastown area?

That same roundabout flooded the last time too. I remember a range rover immersed up to it's roof and the army using boats to ferry people out of their houses.

They were taken by someone in Blanchardstown! My gaff is fine thankfully, apart from a leak in the roof and broken gutters.

Leixlip had some badly flooded areas I heard but i stayed in the house all day...fretting.

A new house down the road has had its foundations turned into a swimming pool- poor bastards

We got off very lightly.

Are those flkr photos in Littlepace/Damastown area?

That same roundabout flooded the last time too. I remember a range rover immersed up to it's roof and the army using boats to ferry people out of their houses.

Not sure where the photos were taken. Glad your house was okay, though! Sucks about the house down the road. It's bad enough to be building a new house right now.

There was a piece on the news where they did -- finally -- acknowledge that people's houses were damaged/destroyed, instead of pretending it's just been a traffic problem. Some lady kayaking down the road, and a terrible indictment of the services people in Finglas. They turned up for like ten minutes and then pissed off, so the people in whatever estate it was unblocked the drains themselves.

Our taxes at work, folks.

Seriously, I know there are some natural phenomena that can't be helped, but I just can't believe that any city with proper drainage would flood this badly this frequently, and the downplaying of the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back