Thumped mass suicide. (1 Viewer)

so whats it like over `there?`

It's kind of......pastey. Like sunday evenings seven days a week. Jesus and the Lord god almighty dont get on either. He's all "Get a job, Hippy" and Jezza's like "Fuck you Lord God Almighty, you never listen to meeeeee.." If i could die again of boredom i would. THe Afterlife can fuck off.

he's just promoting the fact that yesterday was world suicide prevention day

http://www.med.uio.no/iasp/english/wspd/2006/wspd_menu2006.html

Every so often a national newspaper will publish an article on suicide. The article usually quotes statistics and there is a certain amount of hand-wringing in relation to 'the stigma of suicide' / 'facing up to suicide' / 'not sweeping suicide under the carpet'. The overriding message is that the root causes of suicide should be addressed and people should confront rather than deny.

Which brings me to the media's reporting of suicide. If a person dies accidentally, of natural causes, as a result of an assault or is murdered their death will be reported as such. However if they commit suicide the reports are inevitably fudged with banal and intelligence-insulting euphemisms such as 'not looking for anyone else in connection', 'fell in front of train', 'entered the river' etc. Frequently a coroner's report will state a verdict of accidental death when it was anything but.

The reason for such reporting is usually given as 'to protect the family' etc. But how can a family face up to a suicide if nobody will dare speak the dreaded 's word'.

On one hand we have the media bemoaning increasing suicide numbers and complaining about people have their heads in the sand about it while simultaneously refusing to tackle the practical issue head on and print the actual facts when it comes to reporting one. This double standard filters downwards to ordinary citizens who will speak in hushed tones about the deceased and rarely mention the why and how of his/her death.

My personal experience in this regard stems from when my uncle committed suicide in 1983. At no stage throughout the years did anybody in my family admit that he took his own life and it was only much later that I accidentally discovered the truth.

Knowing that it was suicide doesn't seem to make it any easier for the family. One close knit family that live near my family home lost three young men in less than a year. The first comitted suicide because his girl left him... subsequently 2 of his cousins (both around the same age as him) killed themselves becuase they missed him.

It was so unbelievably tragic.

I once had both the opportunity and the impulse... I am so glad that I didn't.

Can still laugh at sillyness such as a suggested Thumped mass suicide... too many egos on here for there to be a danger... and you know that too well :)

On one hand we have the media bemoaning increasing suicide numbers and complaining about people have their heads in the sand about it while simultaneously refusing to tackle the practical issue head on and print the actual facts when it comes to reporting one.

this is true for many issues.

I was listening to someone from Papyrus the other week talking about similar issues. One thing she said that stuck with me was that she was uncomfortable with the term "commit" because of its conntations with criminality - suicide no longer is a crime in many countries. It may only be a smal;l shift in reducing stigma......

The reason for such reporting is usually given as 'to protect the family' etc. But how can a family face up to a suicide if nobody will dare speak the dreaded 's word'.

But the family have no choice but to face up to it.
I always assumed it was to protect the family from gossipy neighbours
and rumours and stares in the supermarket and whispers of "oh thats the one's whos brother/sister/father.....".....and all of that shit.

Every so often a national newspaper will publish an article on suicide. The article usually quotes statistics and there is a certain amount of hand-wringing in relation to 'the stigma of suicide' / 'facing up to suicide' / 'not sweeping suicide under the carpet'. The overriding message is that the root causes of suicide should be addressed and people should confront rather than deny.

Which brings me to the media's reporting of suicide. If a person dies accidentally, of natural causes, as a result of an assault or is murdered their death will be reported as such. However if they commit suicide the reports are inevitably fudged with banal and intelligence-insulting euphemisms such as 'not looking for anyone else in connection', 'fell in front of train', 'entered the river' etc. Frequently a coroner's report will state a verdict of accidental death when it was anything but.

On one hand we have the media bemoaning increasing suicide numbers and complaining about people have their heads in the sand about it while simultaneously refusing to tackle the practical issue head on and print the actual facts when it comes to reporting one. This double standard filters downwards to ordinary citizens who will speak in hushed tones about the deceased and rarely mention the why and how of his/her death.

My personal experience in this regard stems from when my uncle committed suicide in 1983. At no stage throughout the years did anybody in my family admit that he took his own life and it was only much later that I accidentally discovered the truth.

Proper.

actually that's not wholly true. i do know where you're coming from, but the media has to be extremely careful when it comes to reporting on suicide. stuff to do with it being alleged, waiting on autopsies, and possibly defaming the person's family mean that quite often the stories get the sidebar treatment.

you say it below - frequently the coroner's report will state accidental death. because the media have to watch their backs so they don't get sued left right and centre, if that's what the coroner says, then that's what has to appear in print. unless of course, you have a 'source' who told you x y and z - but even then you'd have to tread very carefully. a paper cant say someone killed themself if the coroner's report suggests otherwise - even if it is wrong.

sorry about your uncle, btw.

-but i do think that there needs to be more openness. the subject is always very clandestine as you mentioned; which defeats the purpose of trying to tackle it as a serious societal issue.

Its a religious matter. You dont get into heaven if you kill yourself, because its a sin, so if nobody down here says anything, maybe HE will let it slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back