This week at lazybird. (2 Viewers)

They were cool. Their performance took a while to get really going. The vocals were very relaxed for most of the set, they were better at the end when the singer went all shouty. I like em. Good riffs, especially from the bass player. It was my first time really sitting down to watch them and figure out all the time signatures and stuff, it's pretty engrossing music.

anyone know what pdk are doing?

here's some more info on SAFE from SAFE:

Safe are:
Paul Hegarty; also in the band Working With Children. Has had sound installations in several group shows. Writes on noise and experimental music.
Brian O’Shaughnessy; also in PKD, Chokchai 3K Battery, has been involved in experimental music groups for ten years.
Both are invloved in running dotdotdotrecords.
Safe are active since April 2001.

Safe’s music combines treated field recordings, mixed live on an array of cd players and combined with electronics, no-input mixing desk, metals, vocals and keyboards. Pieces are entirely improvised, and span the range of sound from strange ambiences to overpowering noise. They have performed a live soundtrack (to The Man With a Movie Camera), a commisioned piece for a Beckett event, consisting of scratched cds and multilayered samples of Morton Feldman’s works for Beckett.

Safe’s first album, The Air is Full, was recorded at Intermedia 2002 (at the Triskel Arts centre) and is a collaboration with performance and sound artist Danny McCarthy. It builds from atmospherics (including amplified stones) to a throbbing noise finale, over its 32 minutes. Noises and electronics in shifting masses of sound create a soundworld reminiscent of Ground Zero, the louder parts of AMM, and bits of Merzbow.

so there
/n

Originally posted by meta
i think i'm djing at this, v/vm anyone?

where you there when Skkatter brought Jansky Noise from V/VM along to play some records?
Jesus Christ, but I never heard such crap.
It was fun for a couple of minutes, but the joke gets old very quickly.
But of course Lazybird has an open music policy, so play what you like... but things could get nasty;)

Originally posted by Burgerbarbaby
They were cool. Their performance took a while to get really going. The vocals were very relaxed for most of the set, they were better at the end when the singer went all shouty. I like em. Good riffs, especially from the bass player. It was my first time really sitting down to watch them and figure out all the time signatures and stuff, it's pretty engrossing music.
I agree, bass and drums are class but vocals are a bit poor... it's a shame coz it could be a great band otherwise :( yet they're good

Originally posted by Alex
I agree, bass and drums are class but vocals are a bit poor... it's a shame coz it could be a great band otherwise :( yet they're good

why don't you ask to sing for them? i'm sure you'll treat each gig and practise with the upmost professionalism and punctuality!

andrew

i played a v/vm track two weeks ago at lazybird, Posh Spliced 'I'm Out Of My Mind And Bacon Rind', it's probably one the easier tracks to listen to.

i think some can and moondog will suffice though, maybe even some top gun.

Originally posted by nEiLo
where you there when Skkatter brought Jansky Noise from V/VM along to play some records?
Jesus Christ, but I never heard such crap.
It was fun for a couple of minutes, but the joke gets old very quickly.
But of course Lazybird has an open music policy, so play what you like... but things could get nasty;)

i'm playing with v/vm in limerick on the 6th.

really hope my laptop don't get smashed.

i never saw so many people leave lazybird so fast as when jansky noise played. all these nice, respectable ppl there to see automata (sp?) and they all up and leggered when he came on.

Originally posted by herv
i'm playing with v/vm in limerick on the 6th.

really hope my laptop don't get smashed.

i never saw so many people leave lazybird so fast as when jansky noise played. all these nice, respectable ppl there to see automata (sp?) and they all up and leggered when he came on.

why what happened?
i think we were meant to be playing v/vm too...not sure if we are though or not - doubt it
- bring us one of your records so i can wreck it and shit, right?

andrew

Originally posted by RAD-ALARM
why what happened?
i think we were meant to be playing v/vm too...not sure if we are though or not - doubt it
- bring us one of your records so i can wreck it and shit, right?

andrew

absolutely, about the record.

actually, the last time i was down there this guy came up to me after the gig and i went "oh hi andy" and he went "eh?"

so it obviously wasn't you.

regarding the gig, i've heard some hairy stories about their live gigs, lots of shit getting wrecked.

you should play though. you and simon, non? mail albert quick!

Originally posted by RAD-ALARM
why what happened?
He just played some really really unpleasant music.

I don't "get" V/VM: to take a piece of music and sample it or remix it and make something better out of it I can understand, but to make something absolutely unlistenable out of it??? Whats the point?

Originally posted by herv
absolutely, about the record.

actually, the last time i was down there this guy came up to me after the gig and i went "oh hi andy" and he went "eh?"

so it obviously wasn't you.

regarding the gig, i've heard some hairy stories about their live gigs, lots of shit getting wrecked.

you should play though. you and simon, non? mail albert quick!

nah me and some other guys down here. my brand new band! HUMAN SKULLS. i've spoken to albert about it already - so much politicking goes on! when were you last down here? don't remember seeing you or not seeing you

andrew

I don't "get" V/VM: to take a piece of music and sample it or remix it and make something better out of it I can understand, but to make something absolutely unlistenable out of it??? Whats the point?

their seven days with crab david is good mp3

i think its about extremes. regarding the "Dimitri Shostakovich - The Missing Symphony" they have this to say:

i'm not too sure i get it either....

"The resultant piece is staggering. Remnants of all the symphonies can be heard in the piece, some remain true to the original symphonies, other elements appear timestretched and compressed and this can be heard at various points within the piece. As a whole the piece is relentless in pace, building and falling (never restful) and is best appreciated when replayed loudly - demanding the listeners attention throughout. Notes merge creating new timbres, voices seep through the orchestration. The resultant piece is the first classical piece of music which cannot be physically played by an orchestra or humans. Indeed it can only be replicated in this form by computer using the above methology. The resultant piece of music is bound to cause reaction from both the classical and digital music worlds and is sure to provoke responses.

Of course the age old response of "Why?" will be forthcoming. We are also expecting a backlash from the classical media base and also experimental world of music due to the simplicity of our method of construction for this piece. Our response would be that it is a new way of reworking old music and certainly does breathe life into the dead corpse which has been classical music. If it makes people question classical musics role in modern composition then this would be seen as a progression certainly for modern day classical composition and composers. The piece as we claim is digital and not classical (digital classical) and in its current form could not be replicated by traditional instrumentation. For instance how can a violin be timestretched without using a computer ?

The fun will continue later this year, V/Vm is currently inviting people to remix and re-interpret this work for eventual release. So watch this space. Initial feedback to this release will be posted on the website soon. If you have downloaded the free MP3's above and/or have purchased the release and you have anything you wish to say about the piece of music or classical music in general then don't hesitate in emailing us your opinons."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back