Thinking of killing this kid on my street. (4 Viewers)

Shine said:
his punishment doesn't really fit the crime.

i'm curious about what people think...

what punishment would fit the crime?

what does everyone think should be the point of imprisonment in this case? punishment? rehabilitation? protection of society? deterrence?

if this is not a sufficient punishment, does he deserve different//tough treatment from the public when he is released?

would a longer sentence have made the victim's family feel better?

broken arm said:
plenty of people get killed with no-one going to prison all the time.

it's just yizzers are tabloid scumgees without the legal eagle eyes

exactly, 4 years is not an unusual sentence given the circumstances.

owen.jpg

when you factor in the semen allegation though it puts a sick twist on the case.

has this been officially confirmed? The rte news article only touches on it.

so how long is a 4 year sentence these days? 2 years with good behaviour?

allegation..........thats all it is, I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions. I ery much doubt it was the case

I dunno, its all fucked up. Backdated and all, he'll be out in no time. Of course, the guys life has been ruined. Would you hire him for a job? Would you want to go for a drink with him? I doubt it. Nobody's ever gonna be bothered to get the whole story about the semen etc. Its not news anymore. No one will care.

And a kid is dead. He should be alive.

This thread saddens me deeply.

oh shit said:
what does everyone think should be the point of imprisonment in this case? punishment? rehabilitation? protection of society? deterrence?

yes. yes. yes. yes. C'mon Bernard, Sentencing is supposed to reflect the severity of the crime in an effort to uphold the law and act as a deterent. I'm from that area at home, I know some of the houlihans [not the family involved] & o'donohues and generally, I feel sorry for the chap, but imho, his sentence needed to be more severe [for the above reasons...]

oh shit said:

Probably. They deserve satisfaction & justice. It's not a widely known fact, but when deciding an appropriate sentence, the judge factors in the impact [of both the crime and the sentence] on the lives of the victims [or relevant parties] - like it or not, satisfaction for the vicitms is part of that.

piratio said:
yes. yes. yes. yes. C'mon Bernard, Sentencing is supposed to reflect the severity of the crime in an effort to uphold the law and act as a deterent. I'm from that area at home, I know some of the houlihans [not the family involved] & o'donohues and generally, I feel sorry for the chap, but imho, his sentence needed to be more severe [for the above reasons...]

he is being punished and will go on being punished long after he repays his "debt to society" by serving his sentance. For what was basically an unfortunate accident caused by a small bit of carelessness i think he is doomed, dOOOOmed i say, to serve a harsher punishment than he deserves because holier-than-thou fuckheads think its their right and duty to get high and mighty about things they have no business sticking their noses into and hounding the guy for ever which is probably what will happen. thats not to belittle the suffering of the family but i think thats seperate.

im ignoring all the speculation about whaty might have happened of course.

piratio said:
It's not a widely known fact, but when deciding an appropriate sentence, the judge factors in the impact [of both the crime and the sentence] on the lives of the victims [or relevant parties] - like it or not, satisfaction for the vicitms is part of that.
Tis called a victim impact statement.

The charge was manslaughter. Thats the sentence he got, which isn't unusual. The prosecution could have gone for murder, but they didn't for whatever reason.

oh shit said:
what punishment would fit the crime?

if this is not a sufficient punishment, does he deserve different//tough treatment from the public when he is released?

First off - "allegation" is a word invented by law. I prefer "gossip". Whether or not you believe the gossip that you hear usually depends on how much you trust the source. As yez don't know me at all, yezare right to not believe the gossip i passed on. As for me - i believed what i heard from this girl but again - that shouldn't affect what ye believe. It's a funny thing - i reckon all news is pretty much gossip too - warped into something huge and powerful called media. Nasty business these power blockages.
Anyways those are tough questions you pose about legal stuff and i really dunno. I just think there are some serious problems with the state judicial system, but then, there are some serious problems with the state. Somehow the element of common sense is lost when we try to cover all our bases with law upon law upon law. But yeah - sorry - punishment was the wrong word i chose there. I think i was thinking that if someone put his semen anywhere near my son i'd feel like cutting his balls off... But retribution is no answer to anything, and i think it's weird but when you are badly injured by someone, you often come to a point where it is not retribution that you want - just understanding or something.. Sorry I'd need to be specific and I'm not going to be. Dunno. No to the state and it's laws. Yes to humanity, understanding, common sense and solving our own problems. No to media frenzies. Horrible business, terrible amount of publicity, atrocities in Africa, Iraq, your own doorstep etc.

Holy shit - sorry for ending my post with No to... Yes to...
I am a fucking twerp:eek:

seanc said:
The prosecution could have gone for murder, but they didn't for whatever reason.

Actually I'm wrong. The prosecution did go for murder. He was found not guilty of murder, but guilty of manslaughter.

Just thought I should correct meself

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back