Things I should have known before now... (3 Viewers)

Seeking comfort is a dead end, I think. Life can be richer with challenges.
Trying to write a song or a short story. We stick with it, because we know/hope it will be rewarding.
I agree on the comfort thing, but I think you're underestimating how much fun writing music is in itself. Same with learning an instrument, especially if you're playing with other people - it's more akin to getting fit playing 5-a-side than getting fit on your own on a treadmill

... but then I've been doing it all my life, so I suppose I can't really imagine whether it'd be also fun for someone who's never done it before
You’re also interested in it, which is really what drives a hobby. Like knitting for me is stressful, counterintuitive and no fun but my wife will happily spend hours on her knitting. Meanwhile, I’m painting toy soldiers for the sheer joy and she looks on in horror at the process. Both of us appreciate the end result but we’re largely doing those things for our own interest and joy.

I agree on the comfort thing, but I think you're underestimating how much fun writing music is in itself. Same with learning an instrument, especially if you're playing with other people - it's more akin to getting fit playing 5-a-side than getting fit on your own on a treadmill
I get it
I run with a lot of groups and there's a serious enhancement of the whole experience versus doing it on your own.
And it can definitely be fun in the moment too. Running into a sunrise with a group and all of you keeping the same pace, there's something universally human about it. You're not physically connected, but you're connected. It taps into something primal and joyous.

Running on your own can be great also.

But you're right. I don't have great insight into making music. I never pursued it. Both of my brothers are dab hands on the guitar. Both good singers. My girlfriend can play guitar and piano. And has a spectacular singing voice. It's actually kind of embarassing tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back