Theses (1 Viewer)

I had to do three dissertations in my final year of undergrad. One was on ecclesiastical landscapes in Co. Clare, another was on post-Reformation Renaissance iconography, and the third was on photography and the tourist imagination in the Classical world in the 19th and early 20th centuries. I liked the third one best. Funny how I ended up pursuing all three interests in some way (even thematically) in my postgraduate research. I'd love to do more on the social history/anthropology/archaeology of photography, though. Someday.

My MA was on another ecclesiastical landscape in Clare, and I gave it a really simple title because I got annoyed at the number of titles that promised so much, yet delivered so little.

i have to hand mine in in less than two weeks (Fuck) on Richard Rorty's Neopragmatism.

onnaws in me intaw

i studied anthropology. my thesis was an analysis on the use of esctasy, ketamine and designer drugs.
some of the interviews were hilarious, but overall, not as fun as it sounds.

Brian Conniffe said:
i studied anthropology. my thesis was an analysis on the use of esctasy, ketamine and designer drugs.
some of the interviews were hilarious, but overall, not as fun as it sounds.

Was that Queens or Maynooth?

I was mates with a fella in Maynooth who was doing a Sociology PhD on Heroin addicts and their treatment. He tried out the Horrible H as part of his studies.

Clinton Bapiste said:
Was that Queens or Maynooth?

maynooth.

I was mates with a fella in Maynooth who was doing a Sociology PhD on Heroin addicts and their treatment. He tried out the Horrible H as part of his studies.

hmm, that's the "participant-observation" side of ethnographic fieldwork taken a little too far i would say. that said, i have no problem with people experimenting or using heroin at all, but i would think that their could be problems with that from an academic point of view, most certainly legally and ethically.

Here, any of you who did anthropology, did you come across anything like political anthropology? I never did anthropology except for a few lectures on, um, Franz Boas and Marshall Sahlins, but I'm thinking it might be useful for a PhD I'm thinking about. Plus, is anthropology the sort of thing you need to start from scratch like studying surgery or something?

mine's called

An Taibhse san Inneall: Consciousness Studies and the Literature of Post-Colonial Ireland

could have narrowed it down a bit maybe.....:)

potlatch said:
Here, any of you who did anthropology, did you come across anything like political anthropology? I never did anthropology except for a few lectures on, um, Franz Boas and Marshall Sahlins, but I'm thinking it might be useful for a PhD I'm thinking about. Plus, is anthropology the sort of thing you need to start from scratch like studying surgery or something?

What do you mean starting from scratch? And what do you mean by political anthropology? Do you mean like the history of anthropological theory and its impact on politics? I can recommend some places to start if you like. Archaeology crosses over a lot.

You might pick up some basic introductions to the theory. A basic introductory textbook might be of some use, but it will cover things you might not really be interested in. If you're interested in a particular strand of anthropology, or in using an anthropological approach to a topic, you don't need to be an expert on physical anthro.

I've got some titles I could send you, but I'll have to dig 'em out later. I'm sure the actual anthropologists on here could help you out, too.

potlatch said:

Expect a mail on this very shortly.

I have a book on Political Anthropology which you may find useful. Pluto Press usually have a good deal of stuff.

Anthropology in Maynooth (the only NUI Anthropology department) would require you to do a transition-type Higher Diploma course before you could do a PhD. It's quite clearly a money-making skam!

But there's a good deal of stuff abroad (like England - remember me gently harassing you into moving there!). Queens is also a decent option. SOAS in London could be another (that's in a really, really nice part of the city).

Political Anthropology is very established at this point in time. Em... yeah... give us a shout or something. I'll tell you some heads to contact.

Brian Conniffe said:
hmm, that's the "participant-observation" side of ethnographic fieldwork taken a little too far i would say. that said, i have no problem with people experimenting or using heroin at all, but i would think that their could be problems with that from an academic point of view, most certainly legally and ethically.

Cool... P. Littbarski and myself are former Maynooth Anthropology heads. I was 96-99.

Yer man only tried it once. I think he was doing it for genuine research purposes and had some good reasons for doing so. However I don't think he completed the PhD. - last time I heard he was working in drugs counselling. It was a bit more effective and rewarding.

As for "participant-observation" side of ethnographic fieldwork, I do know of one fella who took his research to bed and brought it to romantic levels.

Jane said:
And what do you mean by political anthropology? Do you mean like the history of anthropological theory and its impact on politics?
I mean applying anthropological perspectives to the study of establishing democracy in, say, Sub-Saharan Africa. There's been some talk about trying to reverse the model from the situation where the rich countries impose their own political traditions in ways that cause more damage than good to one where attempts are made to better understand what democracy means within a particular culture and use that as the starting point so as to better understand potential impacts of aid in developing countries. Would that be some kind of ethnographic research? Some of the Sahlins stuff I've read is really interesting.

SOAS in London could be another (that's in a really, really nice part of the city).
Maybe. Mayyybee. Real nice part of the shitty.

roxy said:
what's the Ghost in the Machine bit? It's probably some major feat of literature that I don't know. How embarrassing.

it's in reference to the idea of a narrative consciousness and how it applies to the telling of the national story as well as that of the individual. the ghost in the machine is the homunculus described by cartesian interactionism. Literature can be seen as something which celebartes this kind of mysticsim, where as cognitive science sees the ghost in the machine dualism as forlorn. Basically we've made Ireland (irish writers have never stopped writing about being Irish, it's this Ireland to which I refer) up. Remember, the cultural revolution preceeded the political one in Ireland, and even such widely established memes as the archaic origins of Gaelic football in Ireland are a complete fiction.

summit like that.

it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back