The WTF Thread (12 Viewers)

Drunk/stupid/fighting Irish stereotypes are all of a piece for me. I'm not saying anything's OK or not OK. Enjoy whatever it is you like.
Father Ted is not for me. Mostly because it comes off like another in a long line of English people laughing at thick Paddy and drunk Paddy jokes, going back to Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning and long before.
Which again is all fine. Laugh at what you want to laugh at. That particular brand still feels like punching down to me, but I'm not legislating for anyone else.
I have tried to see the show otherwise, but I just can't. A thing that everyone loves leaves me cold.
What I don't get is that a show that is a large part of our cultural DNA at this point, I get no sense from anyone that it for the English it is a minstrel show.
I am really running out of ways to say this. I'm sorry I don't like the thing you like. But what I'm really sorry for is being so fascinated with the blue/gold dress nature of it that I talk about it too much on here.

I thought Ted was more about mocking the church as a rite of passage for the Irish away from complete fear of the church that it was a about drunk paddies. there is one drunk character and pretty much everyone else is a rural type with extreme quantities. The writers themselves said they were pretty much done writing jack by the end of S2. After ted, the church could never assert it self in the same way here again. thats good satire, non?

You know 7, the rest of us got over this shit 10 to 15 years ago. You're missing out on the whole 21st Century bud.

Besides that, you also missed out on the funniest joke of the 90's...ya big feckin gobshite.

(Jokes)

You know 7, the rest of us got over this shit 10 to 15 years ago. You're missing out on the whole 21st Century bud.

Besides that, you also missed out on the funniest joke of the 90's...ya big feckin gobshite.

(Jokes)
you can't show balls.

image.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Phornó

He should be proud to have earned (inherited) the right to be hated. It's a long Tory tradition and they love tradition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back