The WTF Thread (5 Viewers)

have you considered actually watching it some time?
I have tried. Watched it in 10 minute bursts or as long as it could hold my attention.
And I have probably heard every word of it done by casual reenactors in pubs. I am probably a lost cause.

One thing I saw was a very good joke about Dermot Morgan trying to fix a ding in a car and then he wrecked the whole thing. I loved that gag and I had hope.
Then it reverted to type.

ted trivia
The dancing priest was inspired by Neil Horan, a real Catholic priest who "danced for peace". A young Aidan Gillen auditioned for the role. As part of the audition, he had to dance alongside Linehan (who performed Ted's lines). According to Linehan, Gillen became so embarrassed by the situation that he ran out of the building and never returned.

In retrospect, the writers were unsure what the joke in Father Purcell's line "Ah, it's yourself!" was. Linehan thought the joke was that Purcell believes the throw blanket is really Jesus, while Mathews thought the joke was that Purcell will simply talk to anything.
i thought the joke was a combination of those and that he'd be completely unfazed to come face-to-face with jesus in someone's living room and immediately start boring the tits off him, too

It's OK because Americans wrote this. But had it been made in England...

right @7 - No tomorrow ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's OK because Americans wrote this. But had it been made in England...

right @7 - No tomorrow ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jeepers.
That looks dumb as shit to me, but everything's funny til it's about you. If all The Simpsons were was a long succession of Irish stereotypes, would you like it?
The guy with a case for his two-piece shillelagh got a laugh though.

Drunk/stupid/fighting Irish stereotypes are all of a piece for me. I'm not saying anything's OK or not OK. Enjoy whatever it is you like.
Father Ted is not for me. Mostly because it comes off like another in a long line of English people laughing at thick Paddy and drunk Paddy jokes, going back to Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning and long before.
Which again is all fine. Laugh at what you want to laugh at. That particular brand still feels like punching down to me, but I'm not legislating for anyone else.
I have tried to see the show otherwise, but I just can't. A thing that everyone loves leaves me cold.
What I don't get is that a show that is a large part of our cultural DNA at this point, I get no sense from anyone that it for the English it is a minstrel show.
I am really running out of ways to say this. I'm sorry I don't like the thing you like. But what I'm really sorry for is being so fascinated with the blue/gold dress nature of it that I talk about it too much on here.

I will say this. Half my Facebook feed yesterday is Irish people mocking Americans for calling themselves Irish or for saying St Patty's Day or railing against Plastic Paddys or whatever. The American Irish love us, but we don't approve of how they express it so we have a good ol' laugh at them. It's usually open season on them, but particularly on the 17th. Again, fine. You do you.
But if I suggest that the English - whose feelings toward us are certainly more complicated than misdirected love - might be having a laugh at us, then I'm bitter and unevolved or whatever.
There's a real disconnect for me there and I'm offering a different perspective. That's it.
I hold no hope of convincing anyone to my point of view, I'm just saying, is all.

gross

i like this little snippet
For her first live appearance in Australia in 23 years, Madonna eventually reached the stage at 1am, and then performed a somewhat experimental circus-themed show called Tears of a Clown. That concert sparked speculation she might have been intoxicated, with Madonna rambling, asking for drinks to be brought to the stage and reportedly falling off the tiny tricycle at one point.

Jeepers.
That looks dumb as shit to me, but everything's funny til it's about you. If all The Simpsons were was a long succession of Irish stereotypes, would you like it?
The guy with a case for his two-piece shillelagh got a laugh though.

Drunk/stupid/fighting Irish stereotypes are all of a piece for me. I'm not saying anything's OK or not OK. Enjoy whatever it is you like.
Father Ted is not for me. Mostly because it comes off like another in a long line of English people laughing at thick Paddy and drunk Paddy jokes, going back to Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning and long before.
Which again is all fine. Laugh at what you want to laugh at. That particular brand still feels like punching down to me, but I'm not legislating for anyone else.
I have tried to see the show otherwise, but I just can't. A thing that everyone loves leaves me cold.
What I don't get is that a show that is a large part of our cultural DNA at this point, I get no sense from anyone that it for the English it is a minstrel show.
I am really running out of ways to say this. I'm sorry I don't like the thing you like. But what I'm really sorry for is being so fascinated with the blue/gold dress nature of it that I talk about it too much on here.

I will say this. Half my Facebook feed yesterday is Irish people mocking Americans for calling themselves Irish or for saying St Patty's Day or railing against Plastic Paddys or whatever. The American Irish love us, but we don't approve of how they express it so we have a good ol' laugh at them. It's usually open season on them, but particularly on the 17th. Again, fine. You do you.
But if I suggest that the English - whose feelings toward us are certainly more complicated than misdirected love - might be having a laugh at us, then I'm bitter and unevolved or whatever.
There's a real disconnect for me there and I'm offering a different perspective. That's it.
I hold no hope of convincing anyone to my point of view, I'm just saying, is all.

jesus. I only expected a " ha" or a "meh"

Today was gonna be the day i quit the internet

lloyd.jpg

In @Scientician 0.8 's post about the death of Alejandro Nieto there is a reference to the "Church of ST. John Coltrane".

I wondered if the musician was named after a saint I'd ever heard of.

Nope.

Coltrane Church
st_john_coltrane_fmivnl.jpg

The "Coltrane Church" has been in the Fillmore since 1971 and is the only church born out of the music of John Coltrane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back