The world does not love the Irish (1 Viewer)

on the point of refering to the all the continent as europe:

ireland is (unless you count iceland) the most isolated country in europe.
ever notice how very few european bands or musicians come to to ireland ? they often don't seem to feel any connection that would make it worth their while coming here. this is quite often true of britain aswell - a lot of bands i like never have played there either.
it goes both ways; yes we are dominated by anglo-saxon culture but i get the feeling we are really included in europe often as well.

oh i think the reason ireland was ranked so low in the dutch poll in the early nineties (mentioned a while back)
was to do with X case where a teenage girl was stopped from travelling to britain for an abortion.
i remember reading at the time dutch youngsters had voted ireland their least liked country in europe with that being given as the overwhelming reason.

me rikey Ilerand.

o_rry.jpg

what's the story with those funky pedestrian signs on o'connell showing the bald bird with the droopy tits walking along? they're gas. i also think the spire is pretty funny. and that clock they put in the liffey that broke after about two hours

hmm, any time i've travelled abroad US, Germany, France, South America, etc people seem very Irish friendly... and the general dislike of Americans and English seems pretty consistent too....but maybe they're lying to us....maybe next time i'll pretend to be English and see what I'm told....

.......Actually in South America people had the attitude of "Irish! We hate the English too! Bad people!"

...Which you kind of had to smile and nod along with a lot of the time...

I was told I look English here in Rio (de Janeiro) today, but that my friends are obviously Irish.
I took it to mean that I was sound and handsome, but they are ugly, arrogant idiots.

here, you know what I always find amusing, the idea that Ireland, or the Irish matter.
Obviously this is a troll, since any self respecting French person would only be dimly aware of the fact Ireland exists.
Countries that matter and people actually have opinions about:
Britain, Norway, Singapore, China, Japan, Taiwan, The US, Russia, Switzerland, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Maybe Portugal.
That's it.

Sunday October 05 2008
Sir -- I could not care less about the replies from readers, as they can only be too predictable: "No, everybody loves us... you're so nasty you the French" etc. Bores! That is the reason I wrote the letter, to tell you how comments like that are boring and pathetic. Did you not understand it? I know my English is not brilliant, but still.
If it was a debate about the existence or the non-existence of God, or a debate about the war in Iraq, yes ok, then, it would be interesting to hear the viewpoints of people.
But, are we loved or are we not loved? Please!
A colleague of mine -- who is Scottish -- checked the internet for some of the responses. I read about two and stopped. As I said, soooooo predictable. We hear it all the time. It makes me yawn.
However, unlike my husband (who believes your paper is too right wing), I enjoy reading the Sunday Independent.
I like the national and, mostly, the international news. I like some of your writers who write some pretty good pieces of journalism when they cover the economy, social issues, finances and politics. It does not mean I always agree, but it is always interesting to read other viewpoints on important matters.
So, keep up the good work.
Oh, one more thing, relax, and get over it. We win some, we lose some. That's life! I hope this is the end of the matter.
Have a good weekend!
Yours FROGgelly,
(Author of the original letter which got such a response)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/nasty-french-label-just-boring-1490339.html

On Saturday night I was standing outside Pravda waiting on my mate to bring out a bottle of rum.
Some girls started talking to me. When I replied, they asked me where I was from - they thought I was English.

being born in a stable does not make a man a horse

I dunno, I thought she was being a bit lenient on us to be honest. She didnt even mention what an ugly shower of cunts we are. A little unbalanced in my opinion.

stupid right wing french woman

I couldn't care less about the replies! I don't care so much i'm going to write you a letter letting you know this:confused:

stupid right wing french woman

I couldn't care less about the replies! I don't care so much i'm going to write you a letter letting you know this:confused:

I looked through the letters from previous issues, I couldnt find any replies, is she carrying on a demented correspondence with the voices in her head via the medium of the irish indos letter page?

here, you know what I always find amusing, the idea that Ireland, or the Irish matter.
Obviously this is a troll, since any self respecting French person would only be dimly aware of the fact Ireland exists.
Countries that matter and people actually have opinions about:
Britain, Norway, Singapore, China, Japan, Taiwan, The US, Russia, Switzerland, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Maybe Portugal.
That's it.

Thanks for clearing that one up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back