The World Cup (4 Viewers)

The post robbed Chile.

Why do so many Brazil players only have one name?

How Brazilian soccer players get their names.

Why do so many Brazilian soccer players go by one name?
That's the Brazilian convention. Nicknames and first names are used in all settings, no matter the gravity. Brazil's president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, is known to all by his nickname, Lula. Clergymen, doctors, and other professionals are frequently known by an informal name. The phone book for the town of Claudio even lists inhabitants by their nicknames rather than their surnames.

Brazil's affinity for nicknames might stem from the country's historically high illiteracy rate. As such, shortened spoken names are typically used more often than longer birth names. In Brazilian society, the use of a first name or nickname is a mark of intimacy. It's also often a class signifier. Lula, for one, is known for his working-class roots.

Some scholars speculate that the use of single names could have its roots in the slave system. (Slavery was abolished in Brazil in the late 19th century.) When they were documented, slaves would be referred to either by their first name only—say, Joao—or by their first name and country of origin—say, Joao Congo.

When the English introduced soccer to Brazil in the 1800s, Brazilians referred to players in the English manner, by their surnames. But as the sport grew in popularity, nicknaming took over. When the Brazilian national team played its first match in 1914, the squad featured a forward called Formiga, which means "ant" in Portuguese.

Seventeen of the 23 players on Brazil's current World Cup roster go by a single name. There are no hard and fast rules, but naming conventions reflect the Brazilian adoration for goal-scorers and their relatively diminished affection for the players defending their own end. The most famous forwards in Brazilian soccer history, Edson Arantes do Nascimento and Manuel Francisco dos Santos, are better known as Pele and Garrincha. Defenders typically do not have nicknames—the given name of fullback Roberto Carlos is Roberto Carlos da Silva. Goalkeepers tend to be known by their surnames as well as their first names. In almost a century, there has been only one major keeper known by a nickname: Dida, Brazil's starting goalie in this World Cup.

Players with the same first name often change their moniker to differentiate themselves. In recent decades, there have been several Ronaldos at the national level. One became known as Ronaldao, meaning "big Ronaldo." Another became Ronaldinho, meaning "little Ronaldo." When another Ronaldinho came along in the late 1990s, he was called Ronaldinho Gaucho—that is, "little Ronaldo from Rio Grande do Sul." Eventually, the first Ronaldo left the Brazilian national squad, so Ronaldinho became Ronaldo. Ronaldinho Gaucho became Ronaldinho.

Three other nations in this year's World Cup feature lots of players known by only one name. Portugal, Brazil's former colonial overseer, has 10. Portugal's neighbor Spain has six players known by a single moniker. Angola, another former Portuguese colony, has 16, including Jamba, Loco, and Love.

I forgot to ask. Is anybody boycotting The World Cup?
I did 22.5 hours over the weekend and just caught up now. Fucking devastating.

When you look at it. Brazil have played the two best (most organised, best passers, most direct and best to watch) teams in the competition and beaten neither of them (In 90 or 120 minutes, penalties is something different) Holland have played the same 2 and beaten them both, and both Holland and Brazil have a bit Chelskiness about them. They're a bit dour, a bit dull really. I fear that the final may be even worse than last time.

No need to be afraid of this German team.

Would love to see Algeria win.

tumblr_l7mct8cnSQ1qc073co1_400.gif

No need to be afraid of this German team.

Would love to see Algeria win.

tumblr_l7mct8cnSQ1qc073co1_400.gif
The possibilities that come out of this tie are fascinating. France vs Germany would be a grudge match alright, but they've played each other a few times and it's been bruising. France vs Algeria ? fucking hell. Could be the game of the tournament.

No. There's a somewhat superior bloke who I see on my FB newsfeed who is. I'd say he has mates here so was wondering if somebody would say

"No. But I know somebody who is".
He is in his hole. I could say I'm banging the singer of Perfect Pussy on facebook but in reality I'm watching the world cup because I'm a man damn it.

Sorry what was my point ?

Schurrle's made a difference since he came on. Lahm back in defence. This one's probably over lads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back