The World Cup (1 Viewer)

Hector Grey

Contributor
Since 2000
Let's face it, lads, it's going to happen.

Brazil squad doesn't really inspire much confidence, does it? Potential winners? With the same Maicon who stunk up the place at City last season? Fred? Jo? No Lucas Moura, Couthino, Kaka etc

Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC), Jéfferson (Botafogo), Victor (Grêmio).

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Roma), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Forwards: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jô (Atlético Mineiro).

Not much guile in midfield is there ? Oscar will have to play out of his skin. Aside from Oscar you can't imagine anyone actually beating a player. Neymar will beat his man then fall over, over and over and over again. They do have some good player at the back though. Cesar at Toronto now ? Two goalkeepers who haven't played at the top level in europe ?

I can't see them winning it with that squad.

Big Phil likes to defend. He's got a bag of defensive midfielders there. I can see three of the front four starting, which doesn't give him much off the bench. So, unless Bernard has turned into Pele, I don't see them winning it either.

Here's a good article about Brazil and the World Cup:
BBC Sport - Brazil's defensive brilliance 'key for a nation that demands winners'

Brazil have a better defensive record in the World Cup than the Germans.

I reckon they'll win it.

Who's supporting England in the World Cup?

Me. Maybe not to win it but I'd like to see them make the semis. I had fancied Brazil but that squad doesn't inspire confidence, can't underestimate home advantage though. It'll either be them Spain or Germany, the usual suspects as they say.

I don't think Jogi Love has the chops to win it. He's underachieved with those lads consistently. "But they made semi-finals and a final, Stu." They're good enough to win. They lack belief and versatility. Jupp Heynkes would win it with that squad.

I wouldn't mind seeing England do well.. It's more entertaining for us the longer they stay in it. Don't want them to win it, mind you.

Of the favorites, would like to see Argentina or Brazil win it. My underdog support goes to Japan and Bosnia.

From a purely selfish North American-based perspective, the kick-off times being set for European TV audiences is a pisser, I'll get to see just the later game live on weekdays if I rush out of work.

There was plenty of afternoon games last time out, as I recall. Luckily i was "working from home."

I wouldn't mind seeing England do well.. It's more entertaining for us the longer they stay in it. Don't want them to win it, mind you.

Of the favorites, would like to see Argentina or Brazil win it. My underdog support goes to Japan and Bosnia.

From a purely selfish North American-based perspective, the kick-off times being set for European TV audiences is a pisser, I'll get to see just the later game live on weekdays if I rush out of work.

yeah, the first two US games are set for 6pm
Then if they need a result, you can claim World Cup fever to leave early for the third.

Where you living? Canada?

yeah, the first two US games are set for 6pm
Then if they need a result, you can claim World Cup fever to leave early for the third.

Where you living? Canada?

Yeah Toronto.. Was hoping for some local interest but Canada were pummelled 8-1 by Honduras when they needed a draw to make the final qualifying round. There are enough different emigrant groups here that it should be good craic no matter who's playing though. Will probably try and catch the US games, should be a bit of interest in those.

I live in London, last world cup I made a fair bit of money betting against them, including a big return on correctly predicting a 1-1 with the USA. I was not popular in the pub that night but this year I'd like to see some of the younger LFC players give a good show. can't see it happening though, fuck roy hodgson etc.

Don't really feel very strongly about any of them really though. Will see who looks the most hilariously aggressive early on and support them

England could go out in the group stage. Costa Rica have a good goalkeeper and Uruguay could score goals. Belgium might do well - Courtois could make a big difference.

I reckon it'll be like Mexico '86. This time Messi will out-do Maradonna and score a goal against England which will involve a 50 yard Gaelic football dribble.

Apparently Jo is thriving in Brazil.

There's a heap of past-it or just generally not very good players who are thriving in Brazil, though.
Elano Blumer and Ze Roberto both line out for my favourites Gremio. Ronaldinho is, I think I read, playing brilliantly for whatever team he's with. I can't imagine he even bothers with training ever anymore.

There's a heap of past-it or just generally not very good players who are thriving in Brazil, though.
Elano Blumer and Ze Roberto both line out for my favourites Gremio. Ronaldinho is, I think I read, playing brilliantly for whatever team he's with. I can't imagine he even bothers with training ever anymore.
Yeahhe plays for Atletico Minero they won the Copa Liebetadores last season. I watched a few of their games online when I was unemployed. The standard isn't great to be honest. It can be very slow and defensively a lot of teams are hopeless. Brazil is to south Americans what Italy is for europeans it seems. Move there play til you're 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back