The wonderful Laser video shop is closing (1 Viewer)

DVDs are seen as almost worthless now. Shame.

have to admit that I never hang on to them these days. I've given pretty much all mine away to charity shops over the last year or so.

It's a shame about laser. Hadn't been there in years because I haven't been living in town but they always had some hidden gems there

Hello again, I suppose I am a person who loves objects; vinyl, films, books, and see home as a little library (certainly I seem to lend a lot of stuff to other people!), and Laser feels like an extension of that. Like going into a bookshop and browsing, Laser had that feeling, you'd go in for Friday Night Lights Season 3, and come out with an old Haneke film, and then something by Bergman, and then the Metallica documentary. They have/had such a great collection, it was more than a video shop, it was a real library, carefully crafted, and everyone who worked there over the years really cared, and it felt like a community, and part of my weekly ritual, I suppose. You perhaps don't really know you have rituals until they are under threat. As I wrote on Saturday, I don't watch anything online, except little Youtube videos of musicians, and for some reason, Will Ferrell, and I know that a lot of people watch so much online, but we still need places like Laser as an alternative, and also as an outlet, going in and shooting the breeze with someone about Hannah and her Sisters, and then heading home after getting messages, and I don't know, it seems small, but it's impact has been so huge. It began in Ranelagh, and then they expanded, and then over the years it felt like they were a fading light, but Georges Street was still reliably there, and now the light is really waning - and I am desperately sad and feel helpless that this is the way things are going, I wish I was a wealthy philanthropist. I don't want little lovely shops to leave Dublin, or anywhere. Sorry for the ramble!

Pretty gutted also to be honest and only have myself to blame. Haven't rented anything there in about a year, kept putting if off coz I lost my card and was afraid I had a rather large fine. Regret it now. I did buy some poster's there and often dipped in to kill time. Depressing. Pretty soon there'll just be hairdressers and coffee shops in the city how fucked up will that be??

I am not sure I ever set foot in the place but as someone who has recently enough had to close down a small business based on an old fashioned mode of entertainment delivery I sympathise with those involved and with the customers that will feel their loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back