The Thumped Cup (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
I have another bullshit idea...

How about this? A FA Cup-style competition where bands play each other through Thumped polls? So just list off a big list of all the bands and musicians you can think of... these are then put in to a database. Then a big round of fixtures is worked out, where one band plays the other. So you'd have stuff like:
The Dudley Corporation vs. Coolio
or
Cornelius vs. Isis
or
Godspeed you Black Emperor vs. 5ive

So that'd be the first round. The winner of each game (which will be a poll that would only be open for a day) would then go in to the next round.. until there's a final... which could be
Guided By Voices vs. New Colour Soul
or
Jive Bunny vs. Betamax Format

Anyway... what do you reckon? Is it a runner?

No point, the winner is inevitable...

big_jimmy.jpg

I thought of something like this once, a "fantasy underground league" type thing, where you'd have a certain amount of time/money to invest and you could invest it in different bands. You'd get points when your bands put on well-attended gigs or got played on the radio and shit

Just an idea I had, that's all, never went any further than that

egg_ said:
I thought of something like this once, a "fantasy underground league" type thing, where you'd have a certain amount of time/money to invest and you could invest it in different bands. You'd get points when your bands put on well-attended gigs or got played on the radio and shit

This would just be run through daily polls on Thumped. Nothing too complicated.

The winner would get medals and cup though.

egg_ said:

popex is pretty much what you're describing here. only it's not exactly underground, just general pop music.

nlgbbbblth said:
Good idea Billy.

You'd need a separate sub-forum and a time limit on the polls.

Have seen a Wedding Present and Fall songs (and albums) poll work well.

Don't know about sub-forum... and you can do the time limit on polls. The database thing is a piece of piss...
all i need is a big list of bands. I'd like to kick it off in time for the start of the football season.

billygannon said:
Don't know about sub-forum... and you can do the time limit on polls. The database thing is a piece of piss...
all i need is a big list of bands. I'd like to kick it off in time for the start of the football season.

The sub-forum would help keep all the 'matches' in one place as each one would need its own thread. Otherwise they would get lost down the page.

Look at the Fall Cup

256 bands would work nicely downwards. Although that aspect of it is endless. How would you choose what to include?

do it billy!do it

yeah it should definitely run concurrently with the premiership season

and it should be limited to 32 bands who WANT to sign up, points attributed for gigs played, full attendance, value for money.
Italian style corruption shall not be put up with, docked points for made up gigs or lies about attendance, mcd style booking fee's.could deduct points for shit sound too.

How one would go about doing this is beyond me but if anyone could muster that together i'd buy them a pint/rep them good

nlgbbbblth said:
The sub-forum would help keep all the 'matches' in one place as each one would need its own thread. Otherwise they would get lost down the page.

Look at the Fall Cup

256 bands would work nicely downwards. Although that aspect of it is endless. How would you choose what to include?

Maybe everyone go with their top, I dunno, 30 bands? Then take it from there...
I can see the sub-forum point. Hmmmm....
Pete?

c0De_n1NjA said:
get everyone to bring in their school bags and see what the most popular bands are.

Also poster from bedroom walls might be like a penalty shootout.

How about a Flash site with a satchel bag where people can then write their favourite bands? The outcome could then be posted on to their blog/bulletin board/e-fridge/ass etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back