The Things (1 Viewer)

BAD LUNATIC said:
Last time I saw them live i kind of enjoyed them. Their bass player is awesome, really excellent basslines. The singer has a bit too much of a cramps thing going on but it beats people who stand still on stage staring at the sky who have an indie star gazer thing going on. At least he gets stuck into his job...
yeah, fair doors.

if you have a front man in a band they may as well give it some welly,People do pay to be entertained and I don't think there's many acts in this city that can pull it off by the power of their music alone.More extoverted front men please,throwing shapes is an integral part of rocknroll,if you ain't feeling it you should give up and do something you're more suited to,I take schtik and a bit o'bluster over faux-cool any day

I agree with the 'the things are very good at what they do' argument. Don't know if I'd actively go and see them headline a gig or anything, but when I've seen them at festivals/supporting other bands I have enjoyed them. I'd rather see them than another Dublin post rock band...

I don't agree with the 'they're good at what they do argument'. What is it that they do other than rip off other bands esp. the lead singer who thinks he is *in* Danzig. Sure they may aswell be a cover band then.

Deaglan - what's the story with John Reynolds trying to sue them?

All bands rip off other bands to varying degrees. Very few make original, never heard before music. Mogwai rip off slint, TFC rip off big star, the corpo rip off pinback blah blah blah...

Floozie said:
I don't agree with the 'they're good at what they do argument'. What is it that they do other than rip off other bands esp. the lead singer who thinks he is *in* Danzig. Sure they may aswell be a cover band then.

Floozie said:

He thinks he's in DANZIG!???

Robbie Analog said:
All bands rip off other bands to varying degrees. Very few make original, never heard before music. Mogwai rip off slint, TFC rip off big star blah blah blah...
Exactly. You can go though every single Dublin band and claim that they ripped someone off.

I saw The Things once last year and thought they were really good fun.

Yeah but not to the same obnoxious level as the things though....I hope this doesn't start a big debate about who rips off who or should it be whom!?

Large Mound > sebadoh
Omelette > the cure
The Corpo > Pinback
Yakuza > sonic youth
Damien Frost > probably melt bannana
The Things > stooges
The Frames > dues
etc

Anthony said:
Large Mound > sebadoh
Omelette > the cure
The Corpo > Pinback
Yakuza > sonic youth
The Things > stooges
The Frames > dues
etc
yeh buh see, almost everyone is influenced by the music they love, thats one thing. its another altogether to ape that band completely, or, my personal gripe, slip into the whole image too, its as if they have no fuckin identity themelves. just my opinion tho, probly doesnt help that that stuff isnt really my thing. anyway, wasnt iggy pop just bowies lab rat? ;)

Anthony said:
They wish!

I think its Don Caballero you're thinking of ....

I liked DRN's Slam album; must dig it out and play it sometime.

I remember when they supported Bonjovi in Dublin. Musta been Slippery When Wet tour (early 1987). At least I don't think it was the New Jersey one.
Anyway I didn't go - was on a Wednesday night which was my badminton night - but people came back saying that the DRN blew them off stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back