The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (1986) (4 Viewers)

Grand pronouncements are surely what the Thumped album club is all about. Just wait until we get on to Gbv.

You know what? This is good fun innit? I even kinda enjoyed listening to the Slayer album, to my surprise (so long as I concentrated hard and ignored the lyrics)

Oh, you know something else - at a book club (according to my Ma anyway) you're recommended not to select your favourites, cos if someone hates them it causes discord.

Its more crack if theres a bit of discord.

And loads of grand pronouncements..thats what separates us from the top 40 marty whelan riff raff.A bit of passion

This is the only Smiths album that works for me, there's great tracks on them all but the main studio albums are very hodgepodge (the compilations are fucking gears though, if ever there was a band you'd call a singles band, this is it). However, start to finish I love this album. It's eccentric, witty, fun and dour. It's like Coronation Street if it was written by some decadent dandy.

I'm actually rehearsing my grand pronouncement already. Thinking of going with something like this:

"Given that, in spite of what Fukuyuma says, history has not quite ended, it would be rash to declare Bee Thousand to be humankind's greatest achievement; but at least we can say with confidence that it is the greatest one so far."

Grand pronouncements are surely what the Thumped album club is all about. Just wait until we get on to Gbv.
who?

just kidding. I know who they are but I've never heard anything by them? Or they more trash than death metal?

Snuff metal.

Sorry - back on topic. Enjoying QID a lot.. I think someone said this already but it really gets better and better as it goes along

Fairly sure i've never listened to the Queen is Dead before. This should be interesting, approaching the Smiths after having read Morrissey's autobiography.

What's his autobiography like?
In great need of an editor, some good bits in it. I ended up quite liking him.

To summarise:
  • there are more pages about the Smiths lawsuit than the band itself
  • Morrissey hates authority figures
  • Morrissey loves looking at beautiful (male) rebels with nice hair
  • Morrissey doesn't really know what to do with women.
  • Morrissey is the worlds most hapless, gormless eejit who keeps ending up in ridiculous, embarrassing situations like the time he was lost in some fog (no, really).
  • He uses "Irish" as a catch-all adjective

On the headphones...OH YES

The PROFUCKINGDUCTION!

Amazing sound.

Its all there.The lyrics are sublime.The melodies.Everything..ALL THERE

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back