the shining (1 Viewer)

Better question: whats a better soundtrack - Suspiria or Tenebrae?

A lot of the music in the Shining is excerpts from Ligeti's Requiem, also there's bits of Penderecki's Threnody. And a little snippet of Ligeti's Lux Aeturna which he also used in 2001. I didnt know there was a bit of Lontano used, if anyone wants that Ive got it. Its gift.

Re Ligeti ...For those with small amounts of cash, there's a really excellent HMV Classics CD that has a (very poor) performance of Lux Aeturna, as well as a lot of his very early choral skecthes and its only like 6 bucks so there you go. The choral sketches rarely turn up anywhere else, so its a bit of a find.

Suspiria or Tenebrae?
suspiria in every way!
i think one of the gentlemen of exotique dropped some goblin after the 99 gig. a good call.
what's up with goblin being called The Goblins on the dotd credits??

andrew

ps - everyones forgetting bartok. bartok ruleszzez

Speaking of forbidden Planet (as, eh, someone was)....

colour21.jpg

deadly or wha?
that's my best friend's arm too.

fuckin a! it's way better than the full back piece of Gort from the day the earth stood still that i did myself with a pin and a biro .

book is better
stephen kings books are deadly(mostly)
but the films are always shit with a few exceptions
off the top me head
the shining
rita hayworth the shawshank redemption
the body
the running man(havent seen this since i was young,so it might well be crap)
and theres a couple more im sure

apparently king hated the shining so much he made a 3 hour tv movie of it? anyone seen? somehow i think it wouldn't be as scary as kubricks film.....;)

spectraljanitor said:
apparently king hated the shining so much he made a 3 hour tv movie of it? anyone seen? somehow i think it wouldn't be as scary as kubricks film.....;)
It wasn't.

He followed closer to his book - right down to Jack going nuts with a croquet mallet, not an axe. How fucking unscary is that shit?

They played the old chick in the bath for full effect though - that bit was scarier that Kubrick's version, but not nearly as fucked up.

Oh, and they show Tony. Casper the friendly fucking ghost. That kid's finger was way scarier.

george mcfly said:
ah shit
didnt know it was on last night, its one of my favourite films

its worth picking up the dvd for the making of documentary
lots of cool stuff like jack nicholson getting himself ready for the door smashing scene
and stanley kubrick fucking with shelley duvalls head
that r2 dvd looks vanilla
maybe not tho

or is the doc on r1?

jackofficer said:
It really wasn't worth watching last night (although I did anyway), they showed the "cut to ribbons" version. I kept thinking I'd momentarily fallen asleep and missed out on bits, but they were just cut out. Not for censorship reasons or anything, just to keep the running time down. TG4 must be a bit short of cash to be buying up 15 year old cuts of movies....

I've seen the soundtrack on vinyl a couple of times. Remember that market that used to be adjacent to Stephens Green Centre, but on the opposite side of Stephens Green? Can't remember what the street name is. Anyway, there was a guy there with a cool record stall, who sold loads of old soundtracks on vinyl. He had quite a few original Kubricks, 2001, Shining, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket etc. I meant to get them all, but in the end the only one I bought was the original Lolita one, which is pretty funky in a 50's kinda way....

If you like the music in The Shing though check out all Penderecki, Bartok and Ligeti...it's all that good!
i remember that stall
Once Upon A Time In America LP was bought there

The documentary is on R1 and R2 (both with commentary from Vivian Kubrick). But the R1 disc is the American cut of the film, so it's about a half hour longer.

nlgbbbblth said:
cujo and pet semetary are works of art
the mushing truck scene to the ramones rules

Still... late at night, when I have to take a piss, I have to turn the light on just in case that fucking old lady is standing in the bath...

thegoone said:
its just too hard to put his shit to film
thats why the best ones are shawshank and stand by me
no horror
When he writes horror, he tends to come up with really good concepts, but completely blow it about three-quarters of the way through. Look at the Langoliers (Dudes get left behind as time goes on without them, and they find that time gets destroyed by.. meatballs with teeth) or the Stand (m-o-o-n spells Fuck This).

Anyone see the almost shot-for-shot remake of Carrie with David Keith?

THRILLHO said:
When he writes horror, he tends to come up with really good concepts, but completely blow it about three-quarters of the way through. Look at the Langoliers (Dudes get left behind as time goes on without them, and they find that time gets destroyed by.. meatballs with teeth) or the Stand (m-o-o-n spells Fuck This).

Anyone see the almost shot-for-shot remake of Carrie with David Keith?
got the Langoliers for €2 recently
not watched it yet but remember seeing it on Sky some years ago

great story

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back