The Roaring Twenties (3 Viewers)

While I love Father Ted, I find the IT crowd occasionally funny but generally has an undertone of, to borrow carbide's wording, heteronormative bullshit.

Episode 1: Women don't know anything about computers, with hilarious consequences.
Episode 2: Women irrationally love shoes, with hilarious consequences.
Episode 3: Women only like bastards, with hilarious consequences.
Episode 4: Women like to clean things up all the time, with hilarious consequences.
Episode 5: Women like to go on dates with losers they can't get rid of, with hilarious consequences.
Episode 6: Women have periods, with hilarious consequences.

Meh.

ha yeah, women are pretty great alright.

what's the word for how they portrayed priests then?

Had a look at the thread over on Boards.ie. Amused by the writer's response to the howling deranged mobs. He seemed to concede it was shite! That he had no time to write the script.

It was a pilot episode! He should have had plenty time. What about Seinfeld et al., with their 20+ episodes a year at peak? God forbid another 6 episodes are commisioned and the time-frame becomes even tighter.

oh come on, rte come to him after seeing his student film or whatever
and say "you have six weeks to give us a pilot, here's a hundred grand"
(maybe it wasn't six weeks but there was some figure in the newspaper
article linked earlier)

is he really gonna say - "no way jose, i'm not prepared enough, i'm too
young and inexperienced, not in a million years will i try to wing it lest
some guys on the internet get all in a tizz - you can take your 100 grand
and STICK IT! as for getting my foot in the door trying to work in tv
and film professionaly in this country? fuck that - DUES MUST BE PAID!"?

it's not like seinfeld was good when it started. anyway i'm not defending
this guy or his show, i didn't see it and i'm sure it's rubbish

ha yeah, women are pretty great alright.

what's the word for how they portrayed priests then?

Well, you can't really compare and contrast because nearly all of the characters in Father Ted are priests and they're pretty varied, whereas Jen is pretty much the only woman character in the IT Crowd. That said, the overwhelming majority of her setups/gags are prediacted on the fact that she is a woman which is a bit lazy. I dunno.

By contast, Elaine in Seinfeld is pretty much the only main female character in Seinfeld, but her storylines/setups are pretty mixed and she's not there just a female foil to the men. Sayin.

All of the priests in father ted are male, and they're all idiots. Sounds pretty sexist to me.

Just by the way, in terms of TV, making something that is going to be broadcast, 100,000 Euro is (I think) almost the same as giving them nothing at all.

100 grand doesn't buy you shit in terms of making a (more than one???) TV program. It wouldn't pay for the camera and sound. Like, its fuck all.

Soupy Norman is different, there are next to no costs involved. But to actually create, write, cast, film etc etc a TV program, and get it to air... on 100 grand, is doing very well.

Just by the way, in terms of TV, making something that is going to be broadcast, 100,000 Euro is (I think) almost the same as giving them nothing at all.

100 grand doesn't buy you shit in terms of making a (more than one???) TV program. It wouldn't pay for the camera and sound. Like, its fuck all.

Soupy Norman is different, there are next to no costs involved. But to actually create, write, cast, film etc etc a TV program, and get it to air... on 100 grand, is doing very well.

Good ideas dont cost anything though.

has anyone actually watched the Irish Seinfeld in it's entirety? im starting to think it's not humanly possible.

I tried man I tried. I fear I will now spend the rest of my days with a vacant lobotomised look about me, I've been damaged. I exposed myself too long. The damage is irreparable.

No one ever disputed this. My point about begrudgery is that we seem to be harder when its one of our own. I couldn't imagine there being a thread this long and this scathing if it was some english tv show we were on about.
can't you see how lazy an explanation this is? it doesn't explain anything. it just stops any further thought or insight by killing it with "oh it's begrudgery, that's that explained then." it's the mental equivalent of junk food.

And to 's', either you're very lucky to be surrounded by happy-go-lucky well-wishers that only want the best for everyone, or else I'm unlucky to be exposed to people who'd begrudge you any bit of luck or good fortune that came my (or anyone else's) way.

i just do my stuff and don't give a shit what the haters be sayin' - it ain't so hard.

I tried man I tried. I fear I will now spend the rest of my days with a vacant lobotomised look about me, I've been damaged. I exposed myself too long. The damage is irreparable.

Me and George McFly were discussing this over brunch today. I never got past the part of "George" walking down the street approaching the charity worker.

I never even got to see "Kramer". He could be the saviour of the show though......

Me and George McFly were discussing this over brunch today. I never got past the part of "George" walking down the street approaching the charity worker.

I never even got to see "Kramer". He could be the saviour of the show though......

I skipped forward to Kramer. I will live to regret it.

Right, so I'm gonna offer up a prize to the first person to watch the Irish Seinfeld all the way through. Even though you won't be able to get those minutes of your life back, I will offer to do someting boring and excruciating (within reason) for the length of the running time, in empathy.

Since I have no way of determining whether you have seen it all the way through, I will not guarantee that I'll do whatver it is I'm told. And anyway, I've got a problem with authority, so STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO DO, OKAY?

And to 's', either you're very lucky to be surrounded by happy-go-lucky well-wishers that only want the best for everyone, or else I'm unlucky to be exposed to people who'd begrudge you any bit of luck or good fortune that came my (or anyone else's) way. Either way, cheers for the de-repping. A form of begrudgery for having an opinion imho.

Yeah, s lives in Belrin and you live in Dublin. Simple. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back