The Primavera 08 thread (1 Viewer)

yeah there were so many highlights alright

stage invasion for holy fuck was memorable

devo were a good laugh in fairness as were les savy fav

Finally made it back in one piece. Too many great sets to start listing them highlights were Dinosaur, Shellac, Om, Awesome Color, jagermeister and the topless/shoeless party at Holy Fuck.

Sound was shit on the vice stage which was a pisser although the sound on the atp stage was probably the best outdoor sound in the world ever.

best were Devo, Fuck Buttons, Health, Les Savy Fav and Holy Fuck

also amazing were Why, Shipping News, and prob lots others... brain is melting.

is that what animal collective always sound like live? i was pretty bored i gotta say

I thought the Animal Collective show was as good as it gets; just the experience I was after. El Guincho was standing right beside me for it, so that was a little surreal.

Found Bradford from Deerhunter slumped on the ground outside his hotel on the way home. He had just found out the new album had leaked 5 months early and was completely inconsolable. Awkward.

Only got back home from this this evening.
What a festival .|..| .
Way,way too many highlights to mention
one for me was me telling you my tales of woe and you saying "fuck that shit!" and dropping your trousers to the ground and swinging your top over your head shout "WOOOOO!!!!!!".
made my night anyway. and set the theme for the weekend really!

what a deadly festival though and a great long holiday too!
such a great time.

one for me was me telling you my tales of woe and you saying "fuck that shit!" and dropping your trousers to the ground and swinging your top over your head shout "WOOOOO!!!!!!".
made my night anyway. and set the theme for the weekend really!

what a deadly festival though and a great long holiday too!
such a great time.

Iv yet to encounter an obstacle that cant be overcome by profanities and casual nudity :)

I thought the Animal Collective show was as good as it gets; just the experience I was after.

I thought AC were great too. Was weird seeing them in Whelans then playing a stage as big as the estrella Damm one. Was worried it would be too big for them, but thankfull they were well able it! I do think you'd need to have at least a passing knowledge of the new tunes and sound to fully appreciate their recent gigs though.

El Guincho was standing right beside me for it, so that was a little surreal

did he have his notebook with him??????

man that dude is shit! Pour out one bar of some world music loop, repeat for an infinity, add monotonous percussion, simmer with some yelps, let it it stew for far too long, and voila! Bag of mickies.

Found Bradford from Deerhunter slumped on the ground outside his hotel on the way home. He had just found out the new album had leaked 5 months early and was completely inconsolable. Awkward.

Shit to hear that. Knew the album had leaked but didn't know he found out over there! real pity coz he seemed to be having great fun at the festival. He looked mad excited in the queue for Throbbing Gristle! Worth leaving TG early to catch Deerhunter though. Man they rocked my sorry ass. Can't wait to see them again next Saturday

man that dude is shit! Pour out one bar of some world music loop, repeat for an infinity, add monotonous percussion, simmer with some yelps, let it it stew for far too long, and voila! Bag of mickies.

this is exactly my view of El Guincho.
fucking shite.

My Primavera:
Mt Eerie - saw him just that week before too and it was still great. lovely opener for the weekend.
Om were the fucking dog's bollox. didnt expect them to be so deadly. wow.
caught a good bit of Caribou - amazing as i expected. wish i caught more.
Polvo rocked my face off. sound was so bass and kick heavy and it was fucking awesome.
Silver Jews were nice and easy-going specially considering the heads on some of us at that relatively early hour of 7.30pm. they sounded great too. and the wife is shit-hot.
Steve Malkmus & The Jicks were deadly. solo central and jamming away. was really having it. also watched moose down 4 shots of jagermeister at once and try not to get sick.
fun :)

Notwist, Public Enemy & Portishead were pretty good from where we were. didnt get that much into them, id say they were great if you were up closer.

caught a bit of Menomena where we stood near Tod Trainer (ooh!) they seemed pretty decent, if a little samey, they were good though. i couldnt help think that it was the singer of Nickleback up there though.
Shellac were one of the greatest performances ive ever seen. that combined with the fucking superb sound at that ATP Stage was fucking WOW.
looked to my left at one point and the crowd was stretching back past the beer tents to the other stages it was that jammers. "Natina Navratalova we will be your sponsor"
"Natina Navratalova, your name is fun to say...Natina Navratalova"
follwed by Les Savy Fav who were pure entertainment, Tim Harrington even came up and walked through us on the steps. He was at loads of gigs that weekend actually. fair play.
and awesome color were pretty cool and especially when J Mascis got up with them meself & Moose ran down from the steps to rock out.

Bill Callahan - bit dull, short set (although he did play the hits), he was nothing compared to that gig in the village last year. but he was flawless performance-wise (just wasnt feeling it in that big venue for which we had to que outside for 30mins)

spent half of Vampire Weekend (who sounded great) queuing at the bar and then i was there so long that i forgot where Moose & Vinnie were and then i got lost and sat outside the wrong apartment for 2 hours.

Dr. Octagon was fucking abysmal
watched the Go! Team from afar up on the grass, they looked reallllly annoying.

Cat Power looked like she was really giving it socks but she sounded shit and the band were lame, as were alot of her covers.

Why? for me was meh, wasnt happenening for them or me & Polvo were starting soon too. had to go after the first 5 songs. seeing why? here at end of month so will enjoy them better then.

got to meet a few new peoples too and i spent all my monies in the world too. ah well.

as much as i love the idea of Atp and all but i think Primavera Sound may be the best festival. ever. especially when youre in Barcelona, have to sort your own accommodation etc. makes for more of an adventure. that and the sun and the spanish ladies.
and the beach and the sangria.
and the sings and the roundabouts and the rum and the whiskey.
i want to go back right now!

as much as i love the idea of Atp and all but i think Primavera Sound may be the best festival. ever. especially when youre in Barcelona, have to sort your own accommodation etc. makes for more of an adventure. that and the sun and the spanish ladies.
and the beach and the sangria.
and the sings and the roundabouts and the rum and the whiskey.
i want to go back right now!

You left out the adventure of missing flights. ;)

You left out the adventure of missing flights. ;)
you bollox. :p

yes, let me explain people. i have a history of missing flights. and i was up till 6.30am finishing an assignment and i foolishly thought i could put my head down for just 3 hours of sleep after 3 days of not sleeping and wake up lickity-split and go to the airport. idiota!

i slept for many more hours than 3. many.

I managed to get mugged by three dancing gay boys at five o'clock in the morning before the first day. Legged it after them, managed to get my passport and wallet back, leaving the little runt on the ground. I am one naive cunt.

Anyway music wise, it was great to see Enon, they weren't the best, sound was battling the wind, but Schmersal on guitar, first act I was goofy with excitement. Eric's Trip, a bit hippy dippy, but nice. Shipping News were fuckin' perfection in action. Jeff Mueller can't sing, but they were jawdroppingly dynamic. Went down to Boris, who basically wrote off rock music in their heaviosity. Gorgeous guitarist.Killer drummer, hard man to hold up crowdsurfing. Some how managed to stick through Explosions, jesus could have been watching Fuck Buttons. Still though, some aggressive Australisian idiot wading through the crowd - "What's this? I don't see any Explosions in the sky - All I see is a bunch of mellow cunts!"

The next day, No age were cracking, but we left at the decision of some French dude who said we should check out Six Organs. Didn't really fit the mood, some nice subtle drumming. Bob Mould was shockingly good. He played at least four Husker Du songs. Imagine someone drilling Cadbury's Golden Crisp into your eardrums with a jackhammer. Checked out the start of Why?, awful sound, alleged I was shouting MaHomo at Yoni Wolf ( he looks like Steve Guttenberg...)
Then, fuck me, Polvo who were staggering in their rockingness. Just floored, one of the best gig memories ever.
Then I spotted Jason Noble from the Shipping News, and kidnapped him, brought him over to my friends and we talked mostly about Louisville and Harry Dean Stanton. For about half an hour.
During Om I went into meltdown...

Next day Times New Viking were good fun, but nobody was watching them. Silverjews again, good times. Malkmus, nice too loud bass sound, played a lot off Real Emotional Trash, which is his best album yet. Caught a bit of Menomena, who sounded good and crisp. Mission of Burma, fuckin' hell, so loud it took about ten seconds to recognise a lot of the songs. Just blistering, finished with Academy Fight Song. Shellac, another exercise in perfection, Todd Trainer wow! Played everything you wanted them to, finished 'Dear God' with "Little baby Jesus do your job for once." End of Radio, flawless. Les Savy Fav, incredible, seemed to be just one big sausage party. The most fun you could possibly have. In this life.

I had to get an early flight back, landed in arrivals still wasted. I noticed Jason MacAteer sitting down in arrivals. Tried to make conversation with him. He was having none of it. Prick.

Barcelona is some amazing place.

Was there for 12 days in total and arrived 5 days before the festival started. My drink tolerance levels were too high by the time the festival started, i had to sneak in loads of spirits to keep the engine rolling.

Highlights:

Atp stage was pretty much my home for the 3 days. Fuck buttons put me in a very pleasant coma. they have a great sound. You do need to be a bit out of it though to really appreciate them. Shellac and the other usuals were great as "usual". Did any1 else notice they werent using their usual cool equipment...like the travis bean and home made fender stacks....? Public enemy bored the pants out of me...why? looked seriously pissed off that they were playing a gig....metronome was savage....boris were strange and not what i was expecting. Devo were great. I felt like i was in some strange other realm watching them. Loads of other great acts who i didnt know their name (or recognise)

Good festival overall but i really do prefer the atmosphere of atp.

Funny story though. I got really plastered one of the nights and some1 passed me a big fat one so i decided to wander to a soft place and found a nice grassy knole for me to lay my head. Id say i had my eyes closed for about 2mins before i heard southparks "mr slave" singing. I really didnt know what was going on. I put my head up and peaked my head through all of these very promiscuously dressed men and realised i was in the middle of a rufus wainright gig. In my drunken state i made it down towards the jagger stage and who do i see on the rails is les savy fav. Went up to them and acted like a fool i imagine. I remember them telling me something about rolling mastodon up in a big joint and smoking their metal asses somewhere. They brought me half way to go see the go team and i said i had to release a brown beast (or something like that).
Thats two of my fav bands i have met now. cedric and omar from atdi and les savy fav.
I could die a happy man tomorrow.

Oh the thieving is unreal over there. Nearly got robbed twice. The young lads try to do this dancing thing and go for your wallet-im too quick for them though;)

If i was going over again i would do the same and go for at least 1week. No point going for the 3 days as bcn is just a really nice place and worth being a tourist in.

they both had their Travis Beans but yeah, not the usual amp heads. maybe they just re-housed them?

Yeah i was a bit to the side on the little grassy hill and really couldnt make out if it was the travis beans. That does explain now the crinkly bright guitar sound i was hearing. I knew no other guitar could get that sound....or maybe there is one??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back