The Nicholas Cage appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

What are the most out-there ones I'm missing out on.
Seen Vampire's Kiss (amazing if a little flawed in places),
Guarding Tess (randomly caught the last part of this on rte one afternoon),
Deadfall (show me the SAM FUCKIN PEKINPAAAAAAAHS),
Raising Arizona (classic),
Wild At Heart (love fool and love me tender are great),
Rumble Fish (interesting if incoherent mess, kinda cool).

So I have a lot of maniacal watching ahead of me.

Check out Zandalee. It's pretty awful, but it does have some amazing mega acting, Judge Reinhold, Joe Pontonatinatioglaino or however he spells his name as a transvestite and a young lady who spends most of the film walking around in the nude.

This is just plain wrong. You need to go watch Vampire's Kiss. You mightn't like the man, but the last thing he is is a bad actor.

Vampire's Kiss is near perfect. There are just a few scenes where it unneccessarily cuts to other characters (who have issues with Cage's character) instead of sticking with the Cagester. That scene where his date is waiting for him and he's busy being seduced by the vampire and it keeps cutting back and forth. And also all the stuff with the Alma character at home calling in sick etc.
I'm half tempted to edit it.

The style in general really comes across to me as a precursor to all the Charlie Kaufmann stuff (regardless that Cage is in Adaptation) in terms of it being out there and over the top and ripping it out of Hollywood structure and resolutions but always being aware of what it is doing in terms of it's craft. That's what I reckon anyway.

Vampire's Kiss is near perfect. There are just a few scenes where it unneccessarily cuts to other characters (who have issues with Cage's character) instead of sticking with the Cagester. That scene where his date is waiting for him and he's busy being seduced by the vampire and it keeps cutting back and forth. And also all the stuff with the Alma character at home calling in sick etc.
I'm half tempted to edit it.

I agree with you up to a point. I think the majority of the film should have been from his characters point of view, but Alva's character & the brother are essential to the plot, not the theme
(hell it could have been anyone really to finish him off). That cutting thing I think foreshadows the ending beautifully when he is talking to the building and cutting to the office. Between reality & fantasy.
But I don't think of this film as a precursor to Kaufmann whatsoever.

I agree with you up to a point. I think the majority of the film should have been from his characters point of view, but Alva's character & the brother are essential to the plot, not the theme
(hell it could have been anyone really to finish him off). That cutting thing I think foreshadows the ending beautifully when he is talking to the building and cutting to the office. Between reality & fantasy.
But I don't think of this film as a precursor to Kaufmann whatsoever.

I know they are essential to the plot but I just think it could have been edited better. The thing at the end works but in the other parts with the date and alma in her house it just slows down the pace and seems like filler.

I'm not saying that I think Charlie Kaufmann's writing is inspired by it or anything but I think the style and general out-thereness is in the same vein as his collaborations with Spike Jonze.

Con Air was on last night. I'd give it 11/10 for pure entertainment value.

nicholas_cage_a_p.jpg

johnTravolta1860photo.jpg

19th century Face/Off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back