Votes: 4 12.1%
  • All Is Dream

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • The Secret Migration

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
mrevwebsitepage.jpg

Dont make me Ang Lee, you would'nt like it when I'm Ang Lee

I wish I'd read that properly. I voted for the album where it went tits up!

To restate my opinion, the best album is Deserter's Songs.

I like Deserter's Songs too, it's sentimental for sure but it's mostly the right side of schmaltzy (and the stuff afterwards, from what I've heard, isn't).. Red Box in '99 or whenever was a solid show, and Witness in 2002 was also pretty decent.

Boces is a great album. Bronx Cheer is a smashing song.
Yerself Is Steam really is the best though. Not a bad song on it.

I always thought that Shady album by Dave Baker was good. He recorded a load of it in Dublin (and blathered on about how Dublin was the coolest place in the world in the sleeve notes).

He went on to produce that Comet album, Chandelier Musings - which I thought was good.

Mercury Rev went shit after Baker left. See You On The Other Side has some great songs, but it's obvious that they wrote them when Baker was around.

Went to the Mean Fiddler gig on my own. Was very, very drunk beforehand (was drinking tequila since midday that day). Ended up almost in tears when they did a cover of Cortez the Killer.

1. See You On The Other Side - Just an absolutely amazing album
2. Boces - Something For Joey is one of my all-time fave songs
3. Yerself Is Steam - Great debut. Lego my Ego was a brilliant freebie too.
4. Deserter's Songs - really liked it when it came out, haven't listened to it in years. No plans to either.

I started to really hate them when they started going on about 'the mountains' and wearing sunglasses all the time. Never bought the last 2 albums. Mate had a spare to a Vicar St gig. I didn't go. He said it was the right call. I also stopped like Flaming Lips after Clouds Taste Metallic.
Guy who mentioned the Comet album is right - it's a cracker. What ever happened to them?

I saw them supporting Ride in Brixton Academy. When they did Chasing A Bee they had loads of kids on stage dressed as bees, running around the stage like lunaatics.

I hope I remember that correctly and I didn't just make it up.

Jonathan Donahue interview from 98 or something... it's amusing the way it starts off as if the NASA thing was a very formal thing... and then...

Tell us about the recording at NASA.

I think at the time our interest was perked about some space stuff and we went down and they had these huge old warehouse laboratories, some of them they would barely use. We would just go in there, wandering away from the guided tours for about twenty minutes here and there, turn some shit on, and then with our little portable Mister Microphone we’d go, ‘Yah yah yah, blah blah blah, we’re in NASA, whoo hoo, we’re in NASA, isn’t this funny, ha ha ha ha!’ Then they’d kick us out and we’d take the tour the next day and go do it again. We did it for three days—go and sit in some spacecraft, and Baker would sing and we’d all be banging with sticks on the sides. It was just stuff that little kids do, having fun.

Nah...it's just that Yerself Is Steam was such a great record-still stands up and gets a regular spin.

No 'Lego My Ego' or 'Harmony Rockets' in yr. poll btw-but not to worry-I wouldn't have voted for either ;-)

Harmony Rockets is f'kin incredible. Beautiful Drone music before drone was cool. Lego My Ego is super too.. Car Wash Hair, the snippet of Something For Joey.. David Bakers ramblings and the extra long Very Sleepy Rivers with the nod to Miles Davis' In A Silent Way.

The spark was gone once Baker left. I enjoyed See You On The Other Side especially Everlasting Arm and I enjoyed Holes off Deserter Songs but thats it.. I deserted Mercury Rev after this point..

I feel exactly the same way about Pink Floyd

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back