The Kfc Chicken thingy (1 Viewer)

broken arm said:
I think I discussed this with jane before: the vegetarian diet generally warrants high food miles not to say that a nonvegetarian diet automatically has less food miles as you are still transporting animal feeds long distances. actually one of the facts that added to my initial vegetarianism was the fact that during the ethiopian famine the country was exporting foodstuffs (linseed cake, cottonseed cake and rapeseed meal to be used for European livestock. It made me think about the ironies of global food distribution.

Localisation seems like a better choice, economically and environmentally, but if the demand remains the same then the associated problems can't decrease, they can only be dispersed.

On a simple level you could suggest that the carbon sequestered by the production of the barley lessens the impact of transportation but the production of the cattle only compounds the problem because of the added impact of the methane emitted, the pollution caused by slurry and the disposal of blood etc. This is weak but do you see what i mean?
Hmmm...I do seem to remember discussing something like this before....oh yeah....

It's funny, the more you think about the delicate balance, the more complex it becomes. I think it's about making decisions based on the context of where you are and what choices are available to you. I do see what you mean, I think: we could probably come up with an equation to get the balance right, but all that would be is an equation, and would only work in the abstract.

As for famine, that's even harder. I think that, when I was younger, I sort of believed that if everyone ate less meat, and wasted less food, there would be enough to go around. But it isn't that simple when you factor in the politics, or even just the general economic practicalities.

I did nutrition for a while in college, and when we learned what famine really was, I started to recognise how complicated the whole situation is. It's not as simple as saying that there's enough food to go around, or saying that it's nothing to do with crop failures and climate (because, of course, it is), but that these scientific, environmental and climatic factors cannot, in practice, be de-politicised.

Did I mention that for our final exam, 45% of the exam was one single question that simply said: "Solve world hunger."

So if localisation is the answer to some of it, I guess we just have to be aware of what 'local' actually means?

jane said:
As for famine, that's even harder. I think that, when I was younger, I sort of believed that if everyone ate less meat, and wasted less food, there would be enough to go around. But it isn't that simple when you factor in the politics, or even just the general economic practicalities.
I wouldn't suggest that vegetarianism would have prevented famine just that the event and the fact that their own food was being used to feed European cows opened my eyes to the politics of food distribution.

egg_ said:
I kinda think shellfish tastes more like fish should taste than fish does.

I used to be a real picky eater - wouldn't eat vegtables at all, I used to retch when my Ma tried to get me to eat mushrooms, but when I left home I didn't know how to cook anything I liked so I got used to eating stuff whether I liked it or not. By the time I learned how to cook my pickiness was in the past. Acquiring tastes is fun
I have attempted to acquire the taste for mushrooms many a time
the only way I can bring my self to consume them is swallowing
without chewing, love the taste
hate hate hate the texture makes me retch, I have a talent for
being able to find the smallest bits of mushrooms in anything from lasagne
to tiny chopped up bits in stir fry's.

nlgbbbblth said:
let me get this straight

so the veggies/vegans say it's wrong for humans to eat animals
Well actually it would appear that most vegetarians here are concerned about their health and their environment and their socio-economic injustices - all remarkably selfish reasons for giving up eating meat.

I gave it up because as soon as I gave it any amount of thought i couldn't justify the killing of an animal for food. Any other benefits are a bonus.

but what about animals who eat other animals?
What about them?

Find me a self-aware carnivorous animal capable of independent thought and the capacity to change their diet, and i'll tell them they're wrong too.

Note: In the normal course of events, I don't actually go around telling people they're wrong to eat meat. Much.

broken arm said:
I wouldn't suggest that vegetarianism would have prevented famine just that the event and the fact that their own food was being used to feed European cows opened my eyes to the politics of food distribution.
the "if everybody goes vegetarian everyone will have enough to eat" argument is total bollix. all famine is man made.

Troy: Nothing beats a stroll in cattle country. Hi, I'm Troy McClure.
You may remember me from such educational films as "Two Minus
Three Equals Negative Fun" and "Firecrackers: The Silent Killer".
Jimmy: Mr. McClure?
Troy: Oh! Hello Bobby.
Jimmy: Jimmy. I'm curious as to how meat gets from the ranch to my
stomach.
Troy: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down Jimmy. You just asked a mouthful.
It all starts here, in the high density feed lot. Then, when the
cattle are just right [swipes his finger along the top of a cow
and licks it
] Yum...it's time for them to graduate from Bovine
University.
Troy: Come on Jimmy, let's take a peek at the killing floor.
Jimmy: Ohhh!
Troy: Don't let the name throw you Jimmy. It's not really a floor,
it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice
through so it can be collected and exported.
Troy: Gettin hungry Jimmy?
Jimmy: Uhh, Mr. McClure? I have a crazy friend who says its wrong
to eat meat. Is he crazy?
Troy: Nooo, just ignorant. You see your crazy friend never heard
of "The Food Chain". [Flash to a picture of "Food Chain",
with all animals and arrows pointing to a silhouette of a
human.
] Just ask this scientician.
Scientician: [Looking up from a microscope.] Uhhh...
Troy: He'll tell you that, in nature, one creature invariably
eats another creature to survive.
[Images of various wild carnivores attacking and eating
others appear.
]
Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance,
he'd eat you and everyone you care about! [Image of a cow
quietly chewing cud.
]
Jimmy: Wow, Mr. McClure. I was a grade A moron to ever question
eating meat.
Troy: [Laughs.] Yes you were Jimmy, yes you were. [Briskly rubs
his hand on Jimmy's head.
]
Jimmy: [Timid] Uhh...you're hurting me.

There's A KFC just down the street from my house, Just ate there 3 days ago.

The chicken is real, ......Good stuff man, I have never had a problem in all of my life eating there. Just a bunch of animal rights activist stiring up trouble.
Gimme a 3 piece meal, original recipie, mashed taters and gravy, cole slaw and an extra bisquit please ! oh, and a little bucket desert also....thanks.

Paul: Linda and I both feel strongly about animal rights. In fact, if
you play "Maybe I'm Amazed" backwards, you'll hear a recipe for a
really ripping lentil soup.
Lisa: When will all those fools learn that you can be perfectly healthy
simply eating vegetables, fruits, grains and cheese.
Apu: Oh, cheese!
Lisa: You don't eat cheese, Apu?
Apu: No I don't eat any food that comes from an animal.
Lisa: Ohh, then you must think I'm a monster!
Apu: Yes indeed I do think that. But, I learned long ago Lisa to
tolerate others rather than forcing my beliefs on them. You know
you can influence people without badgering them always. It's like
Paul's song, "Live and Let Live".
Paul: Actually, it was "Live and Let Die".
Apu: Well, whatever, whatever. it had a good rhythm.

nlgbbbblth said:
so the veggies/vegans say it's wrong for humans to eat animals
but what about animals who eat other animals?

My personal take on this is, it is not wrong per se for animals (including humans) to eat other animals. As a wise man used to say to me, "It's nature's way". But other species don't have a choice in what they eat, for the reason that pete pointed out, and we do. And other species don't have massive and horrendously cruel industries built up around the consumption of animals. We do. I personally would rather not support companies that have had allegations of mass cruelty made against them, be they Nike, the Gap or meat producing/processing companies.
Nature is not a happy place full of cuddly bunnies and proud lions. Nature is cruel. As a human being I have the option not to have anything to do with natural cruelty. If I was living in direct contact with nature, with none of the trappings of civilisation, and I had to do it to survive, you can be damn sure I'd be eating whatever meat I could get my hands on. But I don't have to, so i don't.
Organic meat is another argument again, and it's a bit of a grey area for me, but I definitely have less of a problem with it than with, say, battery farms.

All that said, it's my choice, and if people don't get all arsey with me about being vegetarian, I won't give them any grief for eating meat. I can't be arsed with imposing my dietary choices on anyone else...as Stampin' Ground used say, bless their convoluted syntax, "True friends are hard enough to find without adding to the constraints what's in their diet".

spiritualtramp said:
the "if everybody goes vegetarian everyone will have enough to eat" argument is total bollix. all famine is man made.
I don't anyone was claiming otherwise.

nlgbbbblth said:
so the veggies/vegans say it's wrong for humans to eat animals but what about animals who eat other animals?
dogs lick their own assholes, should we.
only messin', sort of.

Liadain said:
As a human being I have the option not to have anything to do with natural cruelty
Once I would have thought - humans evolved eating meat, so why fight it? But then I thought - humans evolved in groups with pretty rigid hierarchical structures (like all social animals), and I'd be very much against that sort of thing. And then I thought fuck it, I agonise over 90% of my behaviour as it is, if I think about this too much I could end up depriving myself of one of my great pleasures - and for what? Life is too short

Oh here's something else I wanted to say - if you don't eat animals because you think killing them is cruel, fair enough. If you don't eat animals because you don't want to animals to be treated badly on farms, then it makes more sense to organic meat than to abstain totally - encouraging good practice is more effective than discouraging bad practice, I reckon

How many veggies here own a cat? Now that's even more of a contradiction than leather shoes ... I ain't criticising mind - a person needs joy in his/her life as well as the knowledge that they are in the right

cats have to eat meat, they're 100% carnivorous

dogs can get by on a veggie diet, but you have to be careful

humans have evolved to have a complex diet, and the complex brains to deal with it and justify it - and the gut to digest it -vegetarianism is a perfectly normal outcome of evolution, same as celibacy, depression, all these other things peculiar to humans

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back