The idea of "selling out" (2 Viewers)

I think selling music for ads became acceptable and then kinda cool from the mid-to-late 1990s onward. I recall an article in a music magazine at the time, I think it were Select (RIP) that talked about the change in attitude. I think Belle and Sebastian or Arab Strap did music for a guinness advert at the time. The summation of the article was that while big bands like Radiohead could be all snooty about their songs being used while signed to Sony and selling millions of albums that lesser selling bands needed the money and/or exposure an ad would give.

I don't so much mind people's songs being used in ads but I hate the way lyrics are rewritten to make songs ad jingles. Most popular '60s and '70s songs seem to have been sodomised in this fashion.
any artist that recieves money to have their music used in a marketing situation to try and sell something to someone should die.
in the face.

no, really, in one aspect i think it's a bit sick and horrible. if a band wants to ultimately shift more records or needs gig-goers and think that having their song soundtracked to an ad for how life-changing it can be to give your money to some financial institutional pricks and the attitude that 'well, if we dont do it, someone else will so we might as well make a few bob from it and hope people ask about the song'. well fine.
suckers of Satan's cock.
there ARE other ways around this, like, trying harder but if they want to go to hell, off with them.
maybe there's a line between who you'd let your music advertise for? like a government ad or a money hungry corporation.

Interesting point that. Would you let your music be used in an ad for charity or an NGO or a company you had reason to believe had a sound ethos?
yes to an NGO or charity. would have to depend on the company, probably not, corporate cunts. if it was my mates busines and he was setting up and had an ad that needed music maybe. y'know?

What if you allowed your song to be used on an ad for an evil corporation then gave the cash to help the people toiling in their sweatshops?
You'd still benefit from the extra exposure and sales but at least the money wouldn't go to Moby or some prick.

What if Spike Jonze rang you up and said he was making an arty ad for Halliburton and wanted your music in it?

i'd tell him to call Moby and then suck on a tail-pipe. but remember to remind him to tell Moby to do the same.

What if you allowed your song to be used on an ad for an evil corporation then gave the cash to help the people toiling in their sweatshops?
You'd still benefit from the extra exposure and sales but at least the money wouldn't go to Moby or some prick.

i would follow suit to this: article

Article said:
Super Furry Animals are pleased they turned down an advertising deal with Coca-Cola last year, after meeting a representative of Colombia's food and drink trade union during a recent visit to the South American country. The Welsh band were tempted to accept a $1.8 million deal with the soft drinks giant, but ended up declining permission for their song 'Hello Sunshine' to be used in a campaign.

And the rockers now feel vindicated by their decision, after they were told of killings and intimidation in Colombia allegedly carried out by local Coca-Cola management - something the company vehemently denies.

Frontman Gruff Rhys says, "When you're offered money like that, you have to think hard about it. There's five of us in the band. There's kids to feed. Imagine if we'd taken that money. I'd have spent it by now, too. I don't really like the taste anyway."

Bassist Guto Pryce adds, "I frickin' love it, but I'll never buy another f--king can in my life."
In a statement, Coca-Cola tells British magazine Q, "The allegations against our business in Colombia are false. We have been in Colombia for 70 years and have been an exemplary member of the business community."

they also said in a foggy notions interview that they could have paid off alot of debt to their label or directly given the money to the poor Columbian Coca-cola workers who need it but didnt want to be the voice for corporate america.
fuckin a

What happens if you're in a band and one guy, say the man on lead guitar, says to you "I don't like that bass sound". And you do like that bass sound and you continue playing it. And the man on lead guitar says "its sounds shit. Nobody will like it", because the man on lead guitar wants this song to sell well.

Are you, technically, selling out if you then play the bass according to the way he wants it?

Have you seen I Am Trying To Break Your Heart? Kick out the bass-player/second guitarist/white dreadlocked rock'n'roll cliche car-crash machine/guy who slops 19 vintage keyboards on every song.

I dunno, how can a band be a democracy, someone's gotta make a decision if you ask me. However I've only ever been in one band and I made all the decision and now the band is defunct, so maybe I'm wrong. Opinions?

Have you seen I Am Trying To Break Your Heart? Kick out the bass-player/second guitarist/white dreadlocked rock'n'roll cliche car-crash machine/guy who slops 19 vintage keyboards on every song.
what the fuck are you talking about? "slops" keyboards on every song? have you heard Summerteeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot??

bah!

what the fuck are you talking about? "slops" keyboards on every song? have you heard Summerteeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot??

bah!

Of course I have... but you gotta admit that its completely overdone on Summerteeth. The songs are quality but the production is meh. Some parts are great but in comparison with the two following albums, it struggles. For example, She's a Jar has great stuff on it, but ELT is poxy and is much better on that recent DVD.

Plus Jay comes off like a tool in that film.

Of course I have... but you gotta admit that its completely overdone on Summerteeth. The songs are quality but the production is meh. Some parts are great but in comparison with the two following albums, it struggles. For example, She's a Jar has great stuff on it, but ELT is poxy and is much better on that recent DVD.

Plus Jay comes off like a tool in that film.
you'd be a tool too if you had to deal with Tweedy and his fucking megalomaniacal pill-popping bullshit (at the time)...i know what you mean though, Bennett was a bit all over the place, but i love his contributions to both records. i really think his talent, as part of Wilco, was sadly overlooked. "as part of Wilco", cuz his solo stuff is dire.

Yeh I thought there might be some pro-members-of-Wilco-still-in-Wilco editing, but I wasn't sure. I still think that its Tweedy's band and just cos Jay wrote the chords for the chorus of Jesus, Etc didn't make him on a footing with Tweedy. If they'd had a better and more honest relationship in the band, they probably woulda established that.

The argument they have though in the expensive studio... I mean its just so "late period McCartney" on Jay's behalf (to steal my brother's description), that placating everyone with every sentence style would piss anyone off. Just say what you think, mate.

On the other hand, in many ways Jay made that band a lot more interesting, but clearly it didn't work. Like I said in the original thing, it was Tweedy's band, so out you go. Thats how its gotta work, can't all be bosses, right?

Or am I wrong?

I'd say every band has a different dynamic. It can be hard to say who's the "boss" in a lot of cases...the frontman may actually be hopeless at leading and the drummer might be the one bossing everyone around or knocking the songs into shape.

yeh, I can imagine how it must be different in lots of different situation, but its like being in three different relationships at once, and i think its one of the biggest pain in the arses about being in a band. that and broken guitar leads.

also, i always think jeff tweedy di the right thing by hiring glenn kotche even tho he had to get rid of ken coomer his aul drummer mate. really took the franchise to a different level!

With all this chit-chat and whatnot its obvious you guys have'nt got what it takes to make money in this business...your hippy philosophizing won't get you anywhere today - !bing its 2007 guys!!!!bing
You want to make money?Then act fast. Who's with me?Are we here to talk shite?Or are we here to make money?Eh?eh?:cool:

Jaysus, could we have one thread on thumped that doesn't turn into a discussion of Jay Bennett vs Jeff Tweedy? Can we ban the words Bennett and Tweedy in the same was as ******** is banned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back