The idea of "selling out" (1 Viewer)

Jesus, trust thumped to take a fairly simple concept like selling out and be all obtuse about it. The first post had a fairly good definition - if someone offered you loads of money to write a bunch of radio jingles. I couldn't do it, but i wouldn't do it either - i'd feel like a twat going on stupid telly programmes and fako corporate festivals playing a bunch of music i didn't believe in to a mass of people who buy one album a year and wear rugby shirts to gigs. I'm sure we can all relate to that without having to get all defensive and snooty.

So has any band sold out and been successful recently then?

anyone?

Would anyone play for the troops if the troops were fighting pure evil (e.g. a nation of terrorists)?

Jesus, trust thumped to take a fairly simple concept like selling out and be all obtuse about it. The first post had a fairly good definition - if someone offered you loads of money to write a bunch of radio jingles. I couldn't do it, but i wouldn't do it either - i'd feel like a twat going on stupid telly programmes and fako corporate festivals playing a bunch of music i didn't believe in to a mass of people who buy one album a year and wear rugby shirts to gigs. I'm sure we can all relate to that without having to get all defensive and snooty.

I think people are mixing up 'selling out' and 'cashing in'.

Of Montreal re-recorded one one of their songs for some steakhouse radio advert in the states... with the money from that advert they've stepped up their stage show with visuals and more musicians and all that goes with that sort of thing... and now people are turning up to the gig to heckle them, one group even brought a banner to display at the gig... the gig they paid money into... the gig which wouldn't even happen.. unless Kevin Barnes had re-recorded the song... like they're heckling him over

Accussing people of selling out was big in the 90's, if Devandra had been around then and done a phone ad, it would've been big news. Now with internet piracy, smaller labels, the devided between the BIG rock bands and the rest of them widening, I think people are more saavy to the fact their isn't buckets of cash for Devandra and he should just do what he go to do

see some folks would do it with the idea in their mind that down the road they could ditch that bullshit band and do their own thing - while having cash, contacts and being well known or whatever. I dunno if I would do it. I've thought about it - mostly because some jerk friend of mine keeps asking those kinda questions "ok ok..say some guy from some label said..". maybe I would do it. it'd probably be better than working some bullshit 9-5 and scraping by. also, it'd give you the opportunity to go hog wild on live tv or something - by attacking some celebrity or decking someone in your own band. instant cred.

see some folks would do it with the idea in their mind that down the road they could ditch that bullshit band and do their own thing - while having cash, contacts and being well known or whatever. I dunno if I would do it. I've thought about it - mostly because some jerk friend of mine keeps asking those kinda questions "ok ok..say some guy from some label said..". maybe I would do it. it'd probably be better than working some bullshit 9-5 and scraping by. also, it'd give you the opportunity to go hog wild on live tv or something - by attacking some celebrity or decking someone in your own band. instant cred.

Kinda like the dude from Busted who went on to form Fightstar with the money he made with Busted?

...it'd probably be better than working some bullshit 9-5 and scraping by. also, it'd give you the opportunity to go hog wild on live tv or something - by attacking some celebrity or decking someone in your own band. instant cred.

That's a rather studied way of attracting attention to yourself and shamelessly buying into some daft rock 'n'roll idealogy...playing the game...as punk rock as Simon Cowell/Pete Doherty.

Your Megadeath rip off riff man.:)

Sell out argument is a load off bollocks.
Bands cream themselves when they get offered money and rightly so because its so few and far between they do they should take while its going.

Sell out comments usually come from people in the audience who spend too much time on the internet or people in shit bands who are bitter because they will never get the chance to sell out.

QOTSA..possibly my favourite band of all time are on a major and I'm glad so they have the time and money to churn out great records in succession.

Talent aside, bands need to put in alot of work to 'position' themselves in order to get signed i.e. they have to try to get a profile by employing PR and management type folk so that makes the original proposal here pointless i.e. I would have said in most cases that only bands who want to get signed will get offers. The exceptions would be those indepedent folk who are actually pretty good at what they do and so attract interest based on good output and an organic following (as opposed to a manufactured following). But sure, I could be talking bollox.

That's a rather studied way of attracting attention to yourself and shamelessly buying into some daft rock 'n'roll idealogy...playing the game...as punk rock as Simon Cowell/Pete Doherty.

attacking celebrities I don't like in a public place has been a lifelong ambition of mine and who is anyone to take that away from me?

I don't really have much of a problem with someone hawking (or Stephen-ing, for that matter) their music to ad wankers - just as long as they're upfront about the fact that they're doing it for the cash.

The dudes from Air once tried to make out that they were allowing their music to be used in commercials "so they could reach out to more people". Which made me want to punch their balls in.

what if you let your music be used in a film
about a child killer / paedofile who got lit up
by a town of angry parents...and he comes
back to terrorise the children of said parents
in their dreams and he wears one glove with
metal blades for fingers and wears a hat and
a stripey jumper and makes a lot of one-liners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back