The idea of "selling out" (2 Viewers)

PS: about that 19-year old on Dragon's Lair: I thought we were in for a bit of Dragon bukkake at one stage. Nobody seemed to notice that his invention was ABSOLUTE FUCKING SHIT, nor that his "dabbling in import-export" probably involved selling pirated N64 games on eBay.

what if you let your music be used in a film
about a child killer / paedofile who got lit up
by a town of angry parents...and he comes
back to terrorise the children of said parents
in their dreams and he wears one glove with
metal blades for fingers and wears a hat and
a stripey jumper and makes a lot of one-liners?
that doesn't sound like a very good movie at all.

man those guys are all about selling fire in hell - they don't care
if the product is good or shit. i can't even remember what his
product was.

edit- oh yeah that portfolio thing - looked shit

PS: about that 19-year old on Dragon's Lair: I thought we were in for a bit of Dragon bukkake at one stage. Nobody seemed to notice that his invention was ABSOLUTE FUCKING SHIT, nor that his "dabbling in import-export" probably involved selling pirated N64 games on eBay.

what was the product?

what was the product?

A portfolio case thing, that halves the usual size of the case by semi-bending the paper. So you don't get folding creases - but your work still gets all bendy anyway, so who cares? As was pointed out earlier, you'd be as well off with a cardboard tube. With glittery stars and pony stickers on the outside.

what was the product?
basically like an A4 sized folder that you can put A3 or A2 sized paper in without creasing it. I think he called it a "Foldio". He did graphic design and said he came up with this idea while having to drag his massive portfolio folders on the tube and that.

Sounds good to me!

The pain still lingers from the taunts of Ballyfermot children shouting "artist!" at me when they spotted my portfolio case

children can be so cruel

Print a few of these out:
poopeteer.gif

With your documentary-style illustration, you've outdone yourself. It's like a CCTV glimpse into the mind of deranged sociopath Glen Hansard*.

* no relation

Nothing says "hire me- I'm cool" than a set of these babies on your portfolio case

5392.jpg

5329.jpg

Of Montreal re-recorded one one of their songs for some steakhouse radio advert in the states... with the money from that advert they've stepped up their stage show with visuals and more musicians and all that goes with that sort of thing... and now people are turning up to the gig to heckle them, one group even brought a banner to display at the gig... the gig they paid money into... the gig which wouldn't even happen.. unless Kevin Barnes had re-recorded the song... like they're heckling him over

Ooooh. Really??? Holy shit, I thought that was a horrible cover band doing that. It sounds brutal, really horrible. I never thought it was actually them doing it.
I was all, :mad: "that's fuckin shite, that's a total rip off of that Of Montreal tune. Dickheads. Poor Of Montreal".

The music industry is anything but genuine.

Ah come ooonnn!!!:mad:
We here at the industry put our best efforts into making bands like you successful, don't we deserve a good 70% cut off the top for what we do for you!???Well?
Those cds don't print themselves, nor do those photoshoots to make you look the best for hot press etc... come cheap either.

I figure you guys should have more respect for us in the industry, you think i'm doing this 9 to 5 music shite for shits and giggles?!?You send in a crappy cdr of you 'songs' with a picture of you looking all sad and shit and think thats all it takes?
You think thats all Duke Special did?!?Pah!

Think again brother - think again.

Topic closed.
02.jpg

Ah come ooonnn!!!:mad:
We here at the industry put our best efforts into making bands like you successful, don't we deserve a good 70% cut off the top for what we do for you!???Well?
Those cds don't print themselves, nor do those photoshoots to make you look the best for hot press etc... come cheap either.

I figure you guys should have more respect for us in the industry, you think i'm doing this 9 to 5 music shite for shits and giggles?!?You send in a crappy cdr of you 'songs' with a picture of you looking all sad and shit and think thats all it takes?
You think thats all Duke Special did?!?Pah!

Think again brother - think again.

Topic closed.
02.jpg
you'd think with all the money for cocaine that the rest of them could afford suit jackets.... amateurs. pfffft.

I think selling music for ads became acceptable and then kinda cool from the mid-to-late 1990s onward. I recall an article in a music magazine at the time, I think it were Select (RIP) that talked about the change in attitude. I think Belle and Sebastian or Arab Strap did music for a guinness advert at the time. The summation of the article was that while big bands like Radiohead could be all snooty about their songs being used while signed to Sony and selling millions of albums that lesser selling bands needed the money and/or exposure an ad would give.

I don't so much mind people's songs being used in ads but I hate the way lyrics are rewritten to make songs ad jingles. Most popular '60s and '70s songs seem to have been sodomised in this fashion.

A)The best was when Radiohead made a big deal about their 'tent' tour cos it had no corporate sponsorship and therefore they are better than everyone else. And then their next tour they were right back on the corporate sponsorship rollercoaster.

B) Select R.I.P.

C) If you sell out to the devil you get loads of success AND gain more cred so that's the way of the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back