The idea of "selling out" (1 Viewer)

Its funny actually, the other week I was asked by a DJ to send some tunes in to his station to be played on his show. A week later he called me up asking if we had any songs with 'lyrics' in them and if I could send one of them in instead. So, I guess that rules us out of being offered a record deal.

As it stands, the record industry is in a bit of crisis at the moment, with 90% of signed bands operating at a loss and subsequently getting dropped, dreams, aspirations, artistic integrity etc... crushed in the process (though not always the case). All the big companies are losing money still, with big drops in CD sales etc...

The weird thing is that, while all this is happening, Ireland seems to be full of indie rock type bands trying to get signed/voted/nominated for all number of gig slots/ awards/ showcases etc... when its probably the worst kind of market worth getting involved in at the moment, or at least from a purely financial point of view.

Am I missing something here? (I probably am)

Anyone got any ideas?

Now I know all you thumped homos and homettes are fiercely independent buckos but if the prospect of signing to a decent label, potentially making loads of money, touring the world, having the freedom to spend months writing and recording your music and generally not working a nine to fiver for the sake of compromising how you make your music would you take it.
Dude, I'd take hand and all (apart from the touring, I'm too old for that shit) but this ...

Say a big label came to you and said right off you go we want you to write an album full of catchy guitar pop songs.

... might be a problem. I only know how to write the sort of music I write, y'know. Catchy guitar pop? They'd be better off asking me to write a musical. John-out-of-Stoat (stoat is my band) could do it I guess, though as far as I'm concerned that's what he's been doing for years, but very few "industry" people would agree

How do you folks apporach writing music? Would you take pop sensiblity into account at all or is it a case of writing something which challenges convention and is beyond immediate accessibility.
I just try and make up some shit I think is cool. Same as everyone else, I would say

The idea of selling out is a moot point...generally perpetrated by deluded persons who only sell records to friends and well-wishers.
What is 'selling out'? Compromising 'artistic integrity' or accepting money for your music?
Either one is a grey area.
I find it laughable when derivative indie no-marks pour scorn on musicians who 'sell out' when they haven't an original idea themselves.
Bah to the lot of them. When the moneymen come calling there's very few who resist. And why not? We all want a more comfortable life.

When's the last time 'selling out' actually worked?
Some time in the early 90's?

actually, I guess Rod Stewart's american songbook collection but that's a whole different league

The idea of selling out is a moot point...generally perpetrated by deluded persons who only sell records to friends and well-wishers.
What is 'selling out'? Compromising 'artistic integrity' or accepting money for your music?
Either one is a grey area.
I find it laughable when derivative indie no-marks pour scorn on musicians who 'sell out' when they haven't an original idea themselves.
Bah to the lot of them. When the moneymen come calling there's very few who resist. And why not? We all want a more comfortable life.

people who call other people sell outs are fucking idiots. and if you say i am wrong you are a fucking idiot.

cheers

richie

You have to be pretty f**king talented to be able to sell out at all - which rules out most of us on here.

I seem to recall a press interview with Decal in the days of 404 Not Found where you chaps were talking about making a conscious decision keep Decal as "local music for local people", and not making the big leap, despite a growing 'next big thing' buzz... I thought that was pretty cool at the time...

b

[Also, Tool's "Hooker with a Penis" is a great tune on this subject]

When's the last time 'selling out' actually worked?
Some time in the early 90's?

actually, I guess Rod Stewart's american songbook collection but that's a whole different league

When Spandau Ballet went from being a decent white boy funk band to releasing 'True'.

ah yeah well thats a load of bollox now! Getting signed aint sellin out... unless you are some hard core no labels type extremist which i def aint! There's a difference if a band changes their music and approach to their whole buzz purely to get signed and get their music out there..... cause the music isnt what it was at the start anymore...?

Interesting thread. Some might argue that you've already 'sold out' by getting your music outside of your bedroom/rehearsal space/wherever, i.e. that as soon as your music is out in the public domain (gigs, myspace, band website) that you have effectively sold out.
The kind of situation that you posit is one way to do things - it depends on what you want and where you want to take your music; but its not the only way to do things. Most musicians who post here I'm sure make music (albeit perhaps not full time, with some exceptions) independently and are happy to do so. That can still mean getting music recorded, released etc..For myself, I know I'm quite happy taking that tack.

When Spandau Ballet went from being a decent white boy funk band to releasing 'True'.
I'm disappointed Budweiser never used this song for their 'True' commercials.

Say what you like about the Spallet, but there's not too many people who can say they scored for Melchester Rovers and had a top ten hit in the same year.

Interesting thread. Some might argue that you've already 'sold out' by getting your music outside of your bedroom/rehearsal space/wherever, i.e. that as soon as your music is out in the public domain (gigs, myspace, band website) that you have effectively sold out.

This is a joke yea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back