the hold steady (1 Viewer)

sweetoblivion

Live from her fairytale world of clouds and pixies
I'm confused.

They're getting five stars all over the place but they sound like Counting Crows.

I've been listening to the album on mp3 but I honestly just don't get it. Also, the lyrics are shit. He mentions the word 'high' about 100 times. Bo-ring.

Maybe I just need to blast the album out loud in my kitchen to really get it??

i was tempted to call you an idiot, but then i felt that would be grossly unfair, so i'll just say you're wrong. sadly so. granted the music is a little twee, and not a patch on lifter puller (two of hold steady's former band) but i think his lyrics and delivery of the lyrics is legend.
that is all i have to say.
thank you, and goodnight.

They sound nothing like Counting Crows, they're Springsteen rip-off merchants and I think they're fucking good ones. I've been listening to Boys And Girls In America lots in the past week. Must find my copy of Seperation Sunday tomorrow and give that another listen.

Lets try to not get this thread locked.

Jaysus, thank you! I've heard people do nothing but rave like loonies about them, and everything I've heard has left me with equal amounts of "whua?" and "meh?"

Brilliant!! The backlash starts here! I'd say worse than the Counting Crows...maybe more along the lines of Soul Asylum or even Hootie and the Blowfish with louder guitars. Jim Carroll said he'd give it 6 stars if he could. Crazy. It's bollocks.

Yay, I'm not alone!
And I'm not, before anyone asks, saying this simply because they're getting five stars everywhere...I downloaded it after seeing it was top of the best of 2006 lists on loads of american music sites. But I simply can't fathom why.

I think 'whua?' and 'meh?' sums it up alright, Roxy!

Jaysus, thank you! I've heard people do nothing but rave like loonies about them, and everything I've heard has left me with equal amounts of "whua?" and "meh?"

they are meh and only meh, nowhere near as good as the hype that they are getting. dont see the counting crows likeness though sorry!

At their worst they sound like a bad pub band my auld fellah id be into. At

their best, I can see where the Springsteen comparison come in. Granted

Boys and Girls in America is a marked improvement on Separation

Sunday. But it certainly doesn't warrant 5 star reviews its gettin all over the shop.

They sound like The Replacements to these ears.

All those toons about meeting MaryLou at the five & dime and trucks and Joe Six Pack getting sore at Uncle Sam for sendin' him to 'Nam.
Yaaaaaawn.

I was rather disappointed with them when I finally heard that Boys and Girdles album. I think it is his delivery/accent that puts me off. The songs are a bit weak generally too. Seem like a watery version of music you've heard much better before, long long ago. But maybe 'tis a grower.

maybe it's just too american.... and true to form, excellent reviews on that side of the atlantic have made reviewers on this side follow suit without thinking for themselves...

...or maybe it's just really good...

...haven't heard it meself

hold steady are class. obviously wont be everyones cup of tea. i was a big fan of lifter puller who i still think are better. Craig Finn is one of my favourite lyricists- great story telling in the songs and an ability to make the ordianary seem extraordinary...or summat...thats a little pretensious. I'd be biased though cos i was such a big lifter puller fan- i think seperation sunday is better than boys and girdles as well.

I've banged on about the hold steady for well over a year to no response from anyone here.

Normally I like bands, other people do, then the cool kids say they are rubbish and everyone hates them. Now you're just skipping the middle bit and going straight from not knowing them to backlash. Pah.

Seperation Sunday is much better than boys and girls if you ask me. I love them both mind.

I've banged on about the hold steady for well over a year to no response from anyone here.

I hate when that happens, but sure tis life! :)

I'm surprised so many people don't like them either! Obviously it's all about taste, what gets you and what doesn't, I suppose. I thought I was going to get slaughtered for saying I didn't like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back