the healthy thread (1 Viewer)

I should have done that, I know I'm in the wrong....I'm such a fucking eejit. How did I not notice? I'm always living hand to mouth, seriously.

me too - hand goes into crisp packet, hand delivers contents to mouth. seriously.

but no - if you are worries, tell the bank to stop that payment.

Calling your bank and telling them to stop the payment doesn't work so well for Direct Debits - it's the gym's bank that need to stop the charge.

Eircom managed to reinstate my direct debit in spite of the fact that I had closed my account with them, I got the money back, but it was a pain in the backside.

Calling your bank and telling them to stop the payment doesn't work so well for Direct Debits - it's the gym's bank that need to stop the charge.
if you cancel a direct debit with your bank, there is no way anyone else should be able to have it reopened.
the debit is set up on your account.

a standing order is a fixed amount from your account, e.g. a mortgage payment; a direct debit is authorisation to allow someone to withdraw a variable amount of money from your account. if you remove that authorisation, eircom (or whomever) should not be allowed near your account again.

a standing order is a fixed amount from your account, e.g. a mortgage payment; a direct debit is authorisation to allow someone to withdraw a variable amount of money from your account. if you remove that authorisation, eircom (or whomever) should not be allowed near your account again.

You'd think, but it doesn't seem to work that way - I had notified my Bank when I cancelled my Eircom account and when contacted them as soon as I noticed that the Eircom DD was coming out again they told me that the Direct Debit form that I had signed with Eircom was still valid... that I would have to get them to stop requesting the funds.

Edit: Actually, it is because of a few situations like this that I never pay membership for anything by Direct Debit.

I skimmed this thread, so forgive me if I repeat others..

As said above, fuck diets.
Just try and eat good food.
Doing regular exercise will do the job for you.

For me, a team sport is 110,000% better than going to the gym, or jogging or any of that shit.
Real, tangible goals (literally and figuratively).
Being able to compete with your peers and all that shit.
Your teammates encouraging you and stuff.

Oh, and it's actually fun instead of a long, boring grind.

isn't it kind of my fault though cos I never cancelled the DD?

i'm not sure. but they still took money from your acc. AFTER you'd finished your contract? sneaky cunts.

i deal with Direct Debits every day and theres a system that would insure our finance department could NEVER debit someones acc/credit card after they have 'left' us.

but then again i work for a charity, all us ageing liberal lefty douches don't really have the same mentality as these guys...
upper_flex.jpg

Briefly

The direct debit agreement is valid until cancelled in writing by the customer.

If you want to stop paying somebody by direct debit you should:

- Write a letter to the originator (i.e the gym / whoever) stating that you no longer wish to avail of their services and request that they cease taking monies from your bank account.
- Send a copy of this letter to your bank.

Sending the copy of the letter to the bank does not mean that they will take it upon themselves to watch your account on a daily basis and return unpaid any unwanted direct debits. Systems make it difficult to 'block' the direct debit from being debited from the account - unlike say cancelling a cheque or standing order. If they or you see the direct debit going through on the day, then it can be returned unpaid.

Effectively the originator has to remove your bank details from its monthly direct debit run. If they don't the cycle of misery and despair continues.

Sending the copy of the letter to the bank ensures that in the event of a dispute you are covered under the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme. Essentially that means that you have proof that you requested the direct debits be cancelled and are entitled to a refund from the originator. As I said, it can take time to get this refund.

If you don't cancel the payment in writing then you are entirely at the mercy of the originator's goodwill.

In summary, avoid direct debits as much as possible. Take the control back from the pricks and into your own hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back