The Grandmother Thread (1 Viewer)

My paternal gran died when I was quite young, about five or so. According to my folks I was brought to visit her in hospital, but can't remember it, yet can still vividly recall being in her old house in Walkinstown. She was orphaned quite young, raised by her older sisters, and lived down near the part of the north strand that was bombed during ww2.

My maternal gran died around fifteen years ago, we we're quite close, used to call down and do odd jobs for her. Saw her laid out in hospice, and like a lot of ye, it was my first encounter with seeing a loved one after they'd died. Which was very odd. She was a great historian, and had loads of stories of the history of the local area.

Right, i'm on break so here's a longer post.

My ultra-religious grandmother (maternal side) met my grandfather when they were young enough (teens I think) and they decided to get married...... in four years..... after she went and worked in America. As you do. She ended up working as a maid for some ridiculously wealthy family in the Boston or New York area, can't remember which, the type of family who would be all over the society pages back in the 30's. She came back with all kinds of high-fashion clothes that made her the talk of her town in Kerry, the hoor.

not that anyone read my post but I asked and it turned out to be Doris Feigenbaum's family, future wife of Donald Fisher.

so there you go

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back