The Grandmother Thread (3 Viewers)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
A nod to I Is John's Grandfather thread.

I didn't really know either of my Grandfathers and my Dad's Mam died before I was born. But our Gran lived with us for about 17 years. She had a tough time, practically raising my Mam and 3 sons alone - one of whom was knocked off his bike and killed when he was just a young fella, and another who died of alcoholism in his forties. She was amazing though and despite all her hardship, she was great fun to have around. She could rhyme off practically any poem, Shakespeare play and old movie scenes, and introduced me to lots of music like Sean O'Se and Sean O'Riada. And she loved tea! She died in 1994, aged 82, at home in bed, with the local priest singing Molly Malone to her, during her last few hours. Amazin' woman. Here she is, getting her hair cut at home about 25 years ago.

My grandmother is a religious lunatic. My other one died when I was 12.

I'll think of a better post later today.

Mothers mother died in her sleep in August 1986. It was my first experience of death. She was a farmers wife who made awesome tarts and kept a neat parlour. She lost twin boys within a year of their birth but went on to have 5 kids, my mum being the second youngest. She used to make me and my brother 'goodie' before bed. Goodie was white bread, sugar and warm milk. She always looked older then her years.

Fathers mother died in her sleep in January of 2004. She lived with us for years in a granny flat upstairs. Born in Carlow and moved to Dublin to work in the civil service which she gave up when she got married, though she did help my grandfather in hs business. My dad was an only child so she was very reliant on him after he moved out as my grandfather died in suddenly in 1962 and my nana never really got over it. Later life she used to do volenteer work in a charity shop on Parnell street a few days a week, getting the bus in from Dunshaughlin and I was always sending her down the Sound Cellar to buy me metal. She spoiled me, my brother and my sister rotten. In the late nineties she had a bad fall on O'Connell street and that was the start of a long process that saw her end up in a home just down the road form where we lived. Someone visited her everyday but she went from being an abled bodied independant eighty something, to a bed ridden old lady very quickly.

Both of my grandmothers died in the 1950s, both of cancer. Don't know a lot about either, other than that my maternal grandmother lived on Lord Edward St. growing up and her brother was Bob Thomas who who played for Bohs. Looks more or less the same as my ma in photos. She used to clean some of the big houses in Rathgar in between having children.

Paternal grandmother... I believe she was from around the Drogheda area but I'm not sure.

Must ask more about them.

Tell us about your grandmother(s) Scutter

I wouldn't be bucking the trend of misery

one dead before I was born.

the other the only grandparent I really knew. I didn't really like being around her because she lacked tact in a kind of way that made it seem like she had turrets (but it was just a lack of tact). She just said really offensive things. Then she had a stroke and went steadily downhill and eventually died.

My maternal grandmother died when I was 15 years old. I really didn't know her other than her last few years. My mother moved out of her home and into my father's house when she was 16 years old and then married him at 18. My mother hated her stepfather and refused to live in a house with him when she was old enough to do something about it. The only time I saw my grandmother before about the age of 12 was in Sunday mass. She always sat a row up from my mother and gave me a dollar every week. They never spoke. After my step grandfather died they slowly started to talk again, mainly because she was sick. During the summers my dad always took us camping during the weekends and I started to hate it because I was grumpy teen. My mom let me stay with my gran instead of camping and that's when I got to know her. She always dressed up (even just to go out for milk) and (looking back) oddly seemed lost without her husband. I think attention from men took prescient over most things, like her children. I remember during the funeral my uncle (born of the step grandfather) laughing when the priest was calling her a good woman. Then my mother and her older brother started in. It was very weird.

My paternal grandmother smoked a lot. That's what I remember most. After Sunday mass we always visited her without fail. My mother would cut out coupons in the paper with her and my dad would sit and watch sports. She always had candy on the table but it always tasted of smoke so I never wanted it. I think this is why I was never a smoker. She started to lose her mind quite early and often forgot me. I was the youngest (my next sibling is 9 years older) so at Christmas everyone would get an envelope of money but I'd always get a present. It was because my siblings were older and wanted money and she'd always forget me. So my mom would have a present ready to compensate and lie saying it was from her. I didn't catch on until later in life when I noticed all my siblings had the same card and mine was different and always ...'misplaced for a minute or two' because my mother would see how much my siblings got in the card then add the same amount to one she bought me. She died when I was in college but and I didn't go home for the funeral. I know that sounds harsh but I never really knew her and she had no clue who I was. She had a pretty tough life and children from three different men. My surname is that of my father's father even though they were never married and was only around a few years.

Right, i'm on break so here's a longer post.

My ultra-religious grandmother (maternal side) met my grandfather when they were young enough (teens I think) and they decided to get married...... in four years..... after she went and worked in America. As you do. She ended up working as a maid for some ridiculously wealthy family in the Boston or New York area, can't remember which, the type of family who would be all over the society pages back in the 30's. She came back with all kinds of high-fashion clothes that made her the talk of her town in Kerry, the hoor. My mother actually has a story of how when they were kids they cut all the buttons off one of the dresses thinking they were 'treasure', and running into the house to show my grandmother, who had something of a minor-breakdown at this. aaaaanyway, since then she's lived the quiet life, raising children and generally turning my grandfather away from the drink, which took a long time (he, eh, retired in disgrace) but seems to have been successful. She's also become more and more religious to the point of absolute intolerance. My mother has to lie about going to things like Yoga as this is an unholy, 'earth-based' practice that isn't praising god. Despite this she's a very nice woman, even if she goes to mass 2-3 times a day. Oh yeah, and she's terrible and giving presents, she once gave me a camera with 4 pictures already taken on it. Another time she wrapped up her own handbag and gave it to my aunt.

I don't know enough about my paternal grandmother except that she was absolutely lovely, tolerant and always kept up to date with modern pop-music and general youth stuff. Always had biscuits in the house. My parents think she died fairly young from the stress of hiding my other grandfather's drinking so well for so many years. I think she was the very first dead person I ever saw, she didn't really look at peace to be honest.

i only realised when i got into the habit of smoking inside that that was what my granny's house always smelled like.
ehhh....she had a series of debilitating strokes
so lay off the smokes
fiddle de dye de dee dee

My dads mother died in the december following the february i was born. my mother says that before dying she taught me to walk and talk but i dont remember this (or believe it).

My mothers mother was an incredible woman. Born into a wealthy family on Market St., SF. Had her pilots license ar 16, classical pianist, diabetic. She spent her time meditating/astral projecting, playing piano, drinking Ernest Julio Gallo White and giving back rubs to who ever asked for one. She died about 25 years ago, but still visits from time to time.

My dads mum had a difficult life. Baked the the best apple pie even though she had lost her sense of smell and taste after being beat up by home invaders 20 years before. She died too, but not before losing both of her legs to gangrene from years of smoking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back