The first gig you ever played (1 Viewer)

earl gratten on capel street, september of 92. we were called 'guilty as sin' and we played mostly originals but we did 'ace of spade' (twice) and an instrumental version of 'jump in the fire' because i couldn't sing and play it at the same time. like pat i was stoked/nervous because anthony was in the audience and i really liked his then band 'Here be Monsters'. none of us were legally old enough to be in a pub and my best mate had to go home in the car with my mum cause the bouncer wouldn't let him in. my brother just dug out a video of it and i got the wife to transfer it to DVD. i watched a bit of it the other night. the place was rammed. i was a WAY better guitar player when i was 14/15 then i am now.

got the same band together to play some songs at my wedding last year.

2003, at this:
18230.jpg

i spent all 15 minutes of it with my back to the audience, staring at the ground.

my first gig was in an phoenix, union quay
we were the superbugs of the 90s

Attachments

• superbugs1stgigposter.jpg
    superbugs1stgigposter.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 35
School assembly hall in Downpatrick in 1989 with the band that would go on to become ash (they must have been about 13 at the time).
Then the pennyfarthing in Belfast with jobbycrust and bleeding rectum (nice boys).

The band was called Lodern. Ballymahon Summer Festival 1994, on the back of a lorry with practice amps. God knows what it sounded like.

Dave Agitated Radio Pilot was the singer and as far as I remember he howled like a beast. My grandfather (RIP) was watching, and said we sounded like a swarm of bees. He was also freaked out to be surrounded by people in black t-shirts.

First proper gig was in the local arts centre in Letterkenny when I was 17 with a band called fizzbomb(the guitarist would later go on to front Berkeley and the drummer is in my neew band) with another band called Tame(bass player now in Berkeley and singer Ian recorded Glenwash ep and I think is in The Terribles) and two other bands.

I organised the gig and charged a quid in, people still complained about the price but we made enough money to all get wrecked that night.

Ian never mentioned singing in a band, the dark horse. Any mp3s?

first "proper" gig was in the rock garden in (i think) 93, singing with a band called cinnamon. i suspect we were not very good. loads of choir and orchestra concerts before that.

oh, and my stage debut was in the sfx (aka the st. francis xavier hall) in 1977, being a flower fairy in my ballet school show...

Ian never mentioned singing in a band, the dark horse. Any mp3s?

Well it was ten years ago like. I don't have any of their stuff, I can't even remember if they had anything recorded to be honest.

My first gig was as guitarist in Rinty on Feb 23rd 1993 in the Earl Grattan on Capel Street. Other bands were Pigmeat and Pyrex Death.

Everyone here is so old.

My first gig was on my 18th birthday,opening for Nomeansno. I was shitting myself.But since then I've not had pre gig nerves.

I've mentioned a couple of mad / humourous stage experiences on similar threads (can anyone dig em out?) But my first real gig experience 'in earnest' was Siamese Pigeon who played with Wormhole (as they were then called) and two other groups in the Fox and Pheasant in 1991 or 1992.

We were bottom of the bill and we proceeded to show everybody why.
We played 'Pictures of matchstick men and you' by Status Quo, '1969' and 'I wanna be your dog'; 'New rose' by The Damned and a couple of originals based around Dead Kennedys and AC/DC riffs. I was the nearest thing we had to a drummer.

It wasn't as earnest as all that, we just cobbled a set together that we could wing our way through for the sake of having played a gig where we actually knew what was supposed to happen. Yes, they were the blurst of times

Well it was ten years ago like. I don't have any of their stuff, I can't even remember if they had anything recorded to be honest.

Ha I was shooting in the dark with that one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back