The first gig you ever played (1 Viewer)

i think i've only played one normal/public gig and that was in a fairly empty voodoo lounge, I don;t even remember when but I imagine it must have been 2004. i was shocked when somebody gave me money at the end of it, and myself and the bass player could buy a couple of beers each. i really should do some of that again. the other ones were in schools of college or birthdays.

i can't remember much except everyone else seeming to be much more organised than us and having a loads of pedals and shit. i still only have one pedal. i don't really get them.

some pub in Rush. a friend's 21st - he played bass. it was misery. I walked in dog shit on the way to the bus wearing a pair of cons with a hole conveniently located exactly where I walked in the shit. shit sock. shit gig. 2nd gig was playing guitar with npb in the funnel and that blew also. stupid problem with the amp. misery.

84 or 85. High school concert, backing up the girl chorus. Played drums to 'Eye of the Tiger', in a red dickie bow and cumberbun.

also played an elf, in the Swedish Centre in Cali, singing, 'Santa Lucia', about 33 years ago.

playing bass for a cover of creep by radiohead in a band at a school hall event thing. 1995, i think. it went fine, strangely enough. in fact i don't think i've ever had a really shit gig, but then i'm completely paranoid about checking leads/batteries/amps beforehand.

first ever gig (ie real gig, with original songs/band, etc) was december 7th last year, opening up for Leanne Harte in the Cruiscin Lan in cork. got the gig first, then got the songs, and then got the band. fun times!

one of the songs was written 4 days before gig, and the drummer drafted in the night before. we borrowed rhythm section from another band essentially, while the singer, the keyboard player, and myself on guitar had never played a gig before. it was supposed to be a once off gig! hehe

i say real gig cause i wrote all the songs for the gig, etc...i'd played in various orchestras and other shows with macnas for while before that, but it was never really a big thing. apart from the opening ceremony of the special olympics when i was 18 and just finished the leaving cert. that was kinda big.

My first was when I was in school , we played The No Name club
Snap!
They were all over the country, ours was in the Talbot Hotel in Wexford Town. 1987. Played Johnny B. Goode, Message in a Bottle, Run to You, Seeds (a Springsteen song, I think), Alright Now. Maybe one other too

Had played a few orchestral things before that, mostly double bass but a bit of clarinet too - Finlandia, Swan Lake, Enigma Variations, a Beethoven piano concerto, probably some others too

My first gig was in the Earl Grattan. We had a singer, me on keyboards (a real piece of shit toy) and a guy on guitar.

We played all our own songs. They were about forbidden love between men and mermaids and the travelling and settled communities among other things.

Thing is, it was a support gig to this political-punk band called Not Our World. The gig was like Sodom and Gomorrah. People were having sex all over the place while we were doing our plinky-plonky songs.

My first gig was in the Earl Grattan. We had a singer, me on keyboards (a real piece of shit toy) and a guy on guitar.

We played all our own songs. They were about forbidden love between men and mermaids and the travelling and settled communities among other things.

Thing is, it was a support gig to this political-punk band called Not Our World. The gig was like Sodom and Gomorrah. People were having sex all over the place while we were doing our plinky-plonky songs.

maybe your songs about forbidden love whipped them into a sexual frenzy

im hoping le galaxie and betamax format will gimme my big break this december in crawdaddi.
that'd be hawt.

u wont 2 play sinths?

my first ever gig was in Da2 in Christmas of 2002. it was with my first band Spaghetti Western. i was so nervous i hard to concentrate really hard on not throwing up and i don't think we'd played our entire set together in one go from start to finish. all that was going through my head was that bit in 'my so called life' where that girl fucks up the ramones song. i never even liked 'my so called life'

Round '91 or '92 (not too sure, my memories of that period are rather fuzzy)

It was in the DIT collage canteen in Mountjoy Sqr. We were called We're Not Sheep

featuring Anthony out of the Large Mound and co-singer Thairock (who also posts on here)

We did a couple of originals, one called: I'm A Villian (kinda rock/rap/funk thing)
and some fucked up covers.
I think we lasted 2 more shows.
Anthony?

Snap!
They were all over the country, ours was in the Talbot Hotel in Wexford Town. 1987. Played Johnny B. Goode, Message in a Bottle, Run to You, Seeds (a Springsteen song, I think), Alright Now. Maybe one other too

Had played a few orchestral things before that, mostly double bass but a bit of clarinet too - Finlandia, Swan Lake, Enigma Variations, a Beethoven piano concerto, probably some others too

haha-the No Name club

I only went twice- once to play a gig and the second time to buy an amp off a guy

I have a vivid memory of the DJ playing Depeche Modes "just cant get enough" and turning down the volume so all the 12 - 14 year old teetotallers could shout "sex"- a little thing I've carried with me into my own life..much to my girlfriends enjoyment

I'm amazed at the "quality" of the songs you all played

It makes me realise just how terrible a guitar player I was at the time

my first gig was in the fusion bar on townsend street i think. i was the drummer and damo (who posts here) was the guitarist. we did a bunch of original songs and a sebadoh cover. we supported bambi and i remember being really excited that pet lamb were in the crowd to watch us. cause they were my heroes. that band richie/jape was in also, blackbelt jones, they played too. great days. we only played two more gigs though. one in wexford and one a few years later at a house party.

Round '91 or '92 (not too sure, my memories of that period are rather fuzzy)

It was in the DIT collage canteen in Mountjoy Sqr. We were called We're Not Sheep

featuring Anthony out of the Large Mound and co-singer Thairock (who also posts on here)

We did a couple of originals, one called: I'm A Villian (kinda rock/rap/funk thing)
and some fucked up covers.
I think we lasted 2 more shows.
Anthony?

I think two yea.

Ah the Grattan, home of the musical inept. I also did my first gig there, I can't remember what the other bands were called, but we were called The Gift, after the Velvet Underground song (cringe). I was on rhythm guitar, sticky-up hair and panda eyes. I was 14. We were brutal. It was 20 years ago. I feel ancient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back