The first Feile / trip to Tipp thing... (1 Viewer)

any festival with golden-era blur..orbital..and even sub-par (but full line-up) stone roses..gotta be worth the price of admission, add to that the enthusiasm of the crowd due to the rarity of such events compared to the ten a penny festivals of today and it must have been great stuff..and those strawbs people are mentioning too.

Haha yeah, paul weller arrived on stage sweating profusely. I think that weekend killed off pretty much any interest in english smoking-weed-playing-acoustic-with-an-organ music i ever had. Fuck all those bands.

Haha yeah, paul weller arrived on stage sweating profusely. I think that weekend killed off pretty much any interest in english smoking-weed-playing-acoustic-with-an-organ music i ever had. Fuck all those bands.

What year was that?

I've seen Weller solo live four times. Never less than deadly.
I think he's dismissed way too harshly.

Feile was deadly, the three times i went were cool.

Learnt my lesson back then, never bring whoever youre goin out with to a festival.

1991 was my first year there. Happy Mondays, The Inspiral Carpets, God knows who else
was deadly tho.

Oh yeah Van Morrisson. Met a hottie from Cork. Deadly Buzz.

Next year was good too, year after woulda been good if Id gone on me own.

Feile was deadly, the three times i went were cool.

Learnt my lesson back then, never bring whoever youre goin out with to a festival.

1991 was my first year there. Happy Mondays, The Inspiral Carpets, God knows who else
was deadly tho.

Oh yeah Van Morrisson. Met a hottie from Cork. Deadly Buzz.

Next year was good too, year after woulda been good if Id gone on me own.

What happened? Tell us!

the one in 93 was the bomb. Drank 3 bottles of liebfraumlich robbed out of my da's garage on de way down and was photographed by The Star, sitting on the wreckage of my tent, ossified out of my skull. Photo (complete with my leggings with stars on, bad religion t-shirt and worse hair) ended up ON PAGE THREE.

My mother still has it. I made her so proud.

the one in 93 was the bomb. Drank 3 bottles of liebfraumlich robbed out of my da's garage on de way down and was photographed by The Star, sitting on the wreckage of my tent, ossified out of my skull. Photo (complete with my leggings with stars on, bad religion t-shirt and worse hair) ended up ON PAGE THREE.

My mother still has it. I made her so proud.

GET HER TO SCAN IT UP

Headliners were Blur, Stone Roses and... Can't remember. There was also elastica, the orb, menswear, ash, kylie, nick cave.

Oh gosh, yes, how could I forget! He came on during her set to do Where the Wild Roses Grow (which hadn't been released yet) and she came up to his belly button :)

On the telly coverage, Dustin the turkey counted down his Top Ten Babes of Feile 1995 - Kylie was number one, of course, and I was number 2! It was a proud moment, to be publicly leched by Ireland's favourite piece of puppet poultry.

Was '95 the first time a "Dance tent" was introduced to an Irish festival?
I think I remember watching Moby standing on top of his keyboards? (this was before anyone knew who Moby was).

Feile '94 was deadly though.
Kerbdog
Swampshack (nee Turn)
Prodigy
Cypress Hill (who came out into the crowd after)
RATM
House of Pain
And Féile TV, remember they used to interview people in a portacabin?

The biggest cheer of the weekend was reserved for the dancing Guinness ad, kinda sums up the festival really, "so who was the best act?" "The Guinness dancing guy"

Was '95 the first time a "Dance tent" was introduced to an Irish festival?
I think I remember watching Moby standing on top of his keyboards? (this was before anyone knew who Moby was).
Moby was huge at the time, second last on the main stage on the friday, just before Prodigy and just after The Fourth Dimension (or whatever they were called).

I can understand how someone who's afraid to embrace their pint-swillin, GAA-supportin, buckleppin culshie side might hate them. I thought they were amazing at the time, they were just so unashamedly uncool and sang about real-life things like 4th-year presentation girls. They said stuff to me about my life, that's for sure

I can see that. I remember knowing their songs, but very much in a just droning on in the background type of way. My cousins from Borris-in-Ossory were mad into them. That made me suspicious somehow I think. And that's all.

It was only some time in the last year that I was thinking about them again. I decided that I would have liked to have been in on that buzz, and that they probably could do with being re-evaluated. I've since (in my teens, I guess) come to value a lot of what they were about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back