The first Feile / trip to Tipp thing... (3 Viewers)

oh god yes. and the campsite "fare" consisted of a couple of local ladies selling polystyrene cups of tea and hang sangwidges off a table.

thats actually my type of festival.
cup of tea, hang sanger or cheese for the veggies.
its amazing how every other festival gets it so wrong

Sunstroke was great. well the first two at Dalymount were. the indoor wan at the RDS was shite.

was it a feile or some other festival they had in the point one year with yer wan who sang "isnt it ironic" and nobody was allowed out of the point? it was on the news - young wans sitting inside the railings of the point looking like concentration camp inmates

Jim Carroll reviewed a Sawdoctors LP in the NME - not sure if it was the first or the second album and summed up by saying
'The Sawdoctors say nothing to me about my life' - and gave it 1/10.
In hindsight I think they're ok.

they are not. i was at a choir "dinner dance" on saturday (don't ask) and had to flee the room when the sub-wedding dj put on "i useta love her". i had forgotten how mind-meltingly bad it was.

was it a feile or some other festival they had in the point one year with yer wan who sang "isnt it ironic" and nobody was allowed out of the point? it was on the news - young wans sitting inside the railings of the point looking like concentration camp inmates

I was at the 2nd day which had grasshopper, Cast, Bawl, Super Furries and Pulp, SFA and Pulp were amazing. If memory serves the Manics, Teenage Fanclub, Foo's played the 1st day and Alanis played the 3rd day.

dj put on "i useta love her". i had forgotten how mind-meltingly bad it was.

That song always reminds me of the Portmarnock Junior Disco, the dj used to stick it on and all the lads in the place would just get into a circle and kick the shit out of eachother.

they are not. i was at a choir "dinner dance" on saturday (don't ask) and had to flee the room when the sub-wedding dj put on "i useta love her". i had forgotten how mind-meltingly bad it was.

Don't like I Useta Love Her at all but some of the 'later' tunes aren't the worst.

dinner dance? :)

Jim Carroll reviewed a Sawdoctors LP in the NME - not sure if it was the first or the second album and summed up by saying
'The Sawdoctors say nothing to me about my life' - and gave it 1/10.
In hindsight I think they're ok.
I can understand how someone who's afraid to embrace their pint-swillin, GAA-supportin, buckleppin culshie side might hate them. I thought they were amazing at the time, they were just so unashamedly uncool and sang about real-life things like 4th-year presentation girls. They said stuff to me about my life, that's for sure

Féile 90 was the first one.

Thee Amazing Colossal Men, The Sawdoctors, Meat Loaf, Something Happens, Van Morrison, Christy Moore, Hothouse Flowers, An Emotional Fish, That Petrol Emotion, The 4 of us ... that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Hothouse Flowers were mind-blowingly good, unbelievable though it may seem. 1 tap and 2 portaloos for a GAA pitch full of tents

... our tent was in a field of rotting turnips. Nice.

Cork one was fabulous though, my first experience of festival-with-lots-of-drugs-but-a-nice-warm-bed-and-a-bath-at-the-end-of-the-night. It's the only way.

Can't remember who actually played the Cork one though apart from Oribtal....

I'll give the Saw Doctors props for two reasons;

1. Back when they were planning their first gigs in US they enquired about the cost of advertising and promoting a nation wide tour and they were quoted a ridiculously high figure. They simply took out an ad in every regional paper in Ireland with a full list of dates and locations for all their American gigs. The ad also asked the readers to phone any relatives or friends that were working in the relevant cities and tell them about the shows. The gigs were packed with ex-Pats and the entire tour sold out with little or no American advertising.

2. They once recorded a song called "I'd love to Bang The Bangles".

The Saw Doctor's are the real deal.

There were cops EVERYWHERE in Cork. The Fuck Feile Festival was also on in McCabes that year!

I remember the Iggy Pop and Spritualized being quite amazing, in 92? Also there was a two day Feile, and Cypress Hill were pure gold.

Can't remember who actually played the Cork one though apart from Oribtal....
Headliners were Blur, Stone Roses and... Can't remember. There was also elastica, the orb, menswear, ash, kylie, nick cave, m-people, beautiful south, elastica, terence trent darby, tricky, black grape, boo radleys, that norman cook band with the bald guy... Basically every english band going. Come to think of it, i can't remember any american bands at it at all, only three years on from grunge and all we got were soggy britpop bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back