the death penalty. right or wrong? (2 Viewers)

Is the Death Penalty Right or Wrong?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Pete Brady

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I don't believe in death

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rampz

i say totally fucked up.

guillotine.jpg

I'd like to hear from someone who thinks it's right. I find it hard to imagine there are many people/is anyone on this forum who does. Someone brainy play devils advocate here.

I am against it under any circumstances.

i had to turn away when the news showed saddam hussein being prepared for execution, even though he's definitely a bad egg.

there's something about systematic murder i can't quite wrap my head around.

so, you guys are saying you agree with the death penalty? hmm interesting.

I'd like to hear from someone who thinks it's right. I find it hard to imagine there are many people/is anyone on this forum who does. Someone brainy play devils advocate here.

I am against it under any circumstances.

I think it's a great idea, otherwise we wouldn't have had movies like Fallen and, em, The Green Mile.

I would say wrong. But there probably have been other people executed who were far more deserving of a thread about wheather it's right or wrong than Saddam Hussein.

I disagree with it it heartily. Thought I'd post this bulletin a South African friend of mine wrote as it makes a lot of sense to me.

"I am absolutely disgusted by events today. Hypocrisy is alive and well it seems. He may have caused terrible suffering to some of his own people, but then again, have the coalition caused less suffering? Was there the same lawlessness and lack of security in Iraq in Saddams time compared to now? Will coalition leaders be executed for crimes against humanity? NO
This is an example of victors justice. Its an insult to my intelligence to be told the west is "civilised".

I do not believe in the death sentence under any circumstances as I believe that the state has absolutely no right whatsoever to decide when someone should die. I can't say that the execution of Saddam brings me any joy or relief at all. I can only hope that it means something to those who have suffered at his hands and I hope that the country can move on.

I wish the Iraqis has learnt something from the South Africans. After apartheid was over it was 'truth and reconciliation' which they wanted and not revenge. There was so much more truth to be discovered about Saddam and now we will never know. I heard someone quote the other day "Saddam should not be executed, because one day when Tony Blair and George Bush are standing trial for crimes against humanity he will be a prime witness".

He was an evil man and should have remained in a cell for the rest of his life.

As for the world leaders that have engineered his capture and downfall, I wonder if you can sleep soundly at night. Personally, I would find it difficult."

I disagree with it it heartily. Thought I'd post this bulletin a South African friend of mine wrote as it makes a lot of sense to me.

"I am absolutely disgusted by events today. Hypocrisy is alive and well it seems. He may have caused terrible suffering to some of his own people, but then again, have the coalition caused less suffering? Was there the same lawlessness and lack of security in Iraq in Saddams time compared to now? Will coalition leaders be executed for crimes against humanity? NO
This is an example of victors justice. Its an insult to my intelligence to be told the west is "civilised".

I do not believe in the death sentence under any circumstances as I believe that the state has absolutely no right whatsoever to decide when someone should die. I can't say that the execution of Saddam brings me any joy or relief at all. I can only hope that it means something to those who have suffered at his hands and I hope that the country can move on.

I wish the Iraqis has learnt something from the South Africans. After apartheid was over it was 'truth and reconciliation' which they wanted and not revenge. There was so much more truth to be discovered about Saddam and now we will never know. I heard someone quote the other day "Saddam should not be executed, because one day when Tony Blair and George Bush are standing trial for crimes against humanity he will be a prime witness".

He was an evil man and should have remained in a cell for the rest of his life.

As for the world leaders that have engineered his capture and downfall, I wonder if you can sleep soundly at night. Personally, I would find it difficult."

Thats all well and good but whats your opinion on the matter?

For all those he murdered, I'm glad he has hanged

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] Jason Burke
Sunday December 31, 2006
The Observer

[/FONT] I walked through the smoke-blackened gate and through a foul courtyard strewn with debris. I entered the building, a typically ugly, concrete block, distinguished from hundreds of other such buildings in cities across Iraq only by the odd red hue of the blistered paint on its walls. It was the headquarters of the security service, known locally as 'Red Security', in the Kurdish-dominated northern Iraqi city of Sulaymaniyah which had been liberated a short while earlier after a stiff fight.In the basements were the torture chambers. A vile stench filled the filthy rooms. Wires, excrement and bloody pools lay on the tiles. A hook was embedded in the ceiling.
It was the aftermath of the war in Kuwait of 1991 and the Kurds had rebelled against Saddam. I had spent weeks with the peshmerga, their militia. They were usually a talkative, lively and rowdy bunch. But no one said much as we walked through the Red Security.
This was where Saddam's henchmen had tortured, raped and murdered. And this was where they had themselves been hunted down and killed in cold blood by the Kurds when the building was stormed.
Through the late 1990s, I made further visits to Iraq. Saddam was back in full control. For obvious reasons, no one spoke of the disappearances, the killings over the previous decades, the videos of violent, slow deaths that circulated among security officers. But I won't forget the fear that lay over every human interaction.
In 2003, back in Sulaymaniyah, I sat down in a prison cell with a captured Baath party torturer. 'How old was the youngest person you ever tortured?' I asked him. 'Oh, about two or three,' he said unapologetically. 'We didn't torture the kids themselves obviously, but holding a toddler over a boiling saucepan is a very good way of getting their parents to talk.' Why do I return to all this? Because I can't help but be happy that Saddam has been executed.
I know all the very good arguments against capital punishment and I recognise the logical inconsistency of welcoming Saddam's hanging. Writing in the Guardian on Friday, Richard Dicker, the international justice director of Human Rights Watch, said that the execution 'follows a trial whose serious flaws rendered the verdict unsound', which is true.
Though there were witnesses, a defence team, opportunities for Saddam himself to declaim, the judicial process that led to Saddam's sentence for the killing in 1982 of 148 men and boys from the Shia Muslim town of Dujail did not follow correct procedure. But we know what Saddam is guilty of. If you want an idea, read some of Human Rights Watch's research into the killings in the north in the late 1980s or, even more shocking, the repression in the Shia south of Iraq in 1991. In all, Saddam was directly responsible for the deaths of somewhere between 200,000 and 400,000 people in a five-year period. He was on trial for this, not just Dujail.
I am also aware of the legitimate fear that Saddam will become a martyr and that his death will exacerbate violence. But the former dictator would have been an inspiration and a rallying point if walled up in prison. As for aggravating the Sunni minority, they are not fighting for Saddam but for what Saddam brought to them: political power, security, prestige, dignity, often wealth. Give them enough of that and they'll stop fighting.
Though Jalal Talabani, the President, is said to have opposed the death sentence, the rest of the elected government apparently did not. In this, they are representative of their nation. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said that opposing Saddam's execution was an insult to his victims. 'Our respect for human rights requires us to execute him. Whoever rejects Saddam's execution would be insulting the souls of the martyrs of Iraq.' The first sentence is certainly controversial. But the second? Al-Maliki was speaking for millions of ordinary Iraqis who will now feel that justice has been done.
The US-led occupation of Iraq has been an almost unmitigated catastrophe. The fact that Saddam is now dead, whatever the manner of his passing, is a rare bit of positive news. Given the nightmare that is Iraq today, I'll save my sympathy for those who suffered under his bloody reign and those who still suffer today.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. The death penalty is not in principle something that I would ethically agree with but at the same time I'm fucking appalled at some of the liberal hand-wringing that's going on over this.

Remember who you're talking about. If one fascist hangs another then that's one less fascist.

ps.. What the fuck south africa's whitewash of a TRC got to do with Iraq is beyond me.

pps.. Romaan is spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back