The Cooking Thread (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 324
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 7
I didn't think anyone still did unless they were in an airport or something.
NO EXCUSE:
a27752-p-02-rgb-72.jpg

MINI SALT & PEPPER GRINDERS SET OF 2
st_mini_Black.jpg

Minimill Peppermill Black 3-inch

it's about pepper varieties, if you read past the intro

in part, and i did, but, as someone who's never heard of "salt tastings" let alone attended one, i gave the pepper-tasting a wide berth. short of peppercorn sauce which, i.m.o. only ruins decent beef, pepper is a (vital) background note and life's too short to have a dozen almost-full jars of different peppercorns languishing on my shelf.

black, white and maybe pink for the ladies.

i've been getting into more esoteric spices through indian recipes over the last year or so; i definitely want to investigate this pepper business at some point

there's great stuff out there

more esoteric spices
which ones? i only cook indian once every few weeks and i've the sense that you'd need to be doing it way more frequently to justify the spice larder most indian cook books demand. there's a good spice bazaar in swords, though, so i'm open to suggestion on a few additional staples which might get some use.

kasoori methi is my favourite so far (dried fenugreek leaves), definitely worth a packetful

and asafoetida, it's like natural MSG or something, smells so good when you add it to hot oil

i got some sumac in a middle eastern shop recently, haven't used it yet but it tastes great--sour and tangy

vegrecipesofindia.com is my go-to recipe site. i only came across that ndtv site (with the pepper article) yesterday, looks good too (http://food.ndtv.com/). i used a tandoori chicken recipe from there yesterday and it turned out great:

Tandoori Chicken - NDTV Food

otherwise mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella and fennel seeds come up a lot in spice mixes
and cinnamon and cloves but you probably have those

Last edited:
if you're trying this one note the tandoori masala makes 8 times the amount you actually need for the marinade--i threw the whole lot in before re-checking the ingredients list. it didn't harm the flavour but was quite a waste of a fairly labour-intensive spice mix. i think i need an electric spice grinder to speed up that process...
i used big chicken fillets, deeply scored, and they were done just right after half an hour at the top of the oven at 260 C, which is the hottest my oven goes

i've tried a few tandoori chicken recipes and this is the best so far by a long shot

made pakora-type cauliflower florets to go with dinner tonight, in a besan/paprika/turmeric batter. nice terracotta colour, crispy outside, tender (but not soft) inside. c.10 minutes in 2cm hot oil, turned a couple of times. kids lapped them up.

I made a pile of tamales yesterday
It being Caldelmass day.
It's traditional for the person who finds the little baby figurine in the Rosca De Reyes to make tamales for everyone on Candlemass.
It's impossible to get corn husks here - they are crazy expensive - but bananna leaves are available frozen in the chineese shops.
I'm still struggling to find a good tamale recipe though. Everything thus far was a bit heavy.

I made a pile of tamales yesterday
It being Caldelmass day.
It's traditional for the person who finds the little baby figurine in the Rosca De Reyes to make tamales for everyone on Candlemass.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back