The Cooking Thread (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 324
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 7
I don't know, Dudley, I got my recipe from a priest who brought it back from his time in Rome. He was later named as a coverer-upper in the Ryan report. That kind of cowardly 'just following orders' is a valuable quality in a traditional-recipe middleman.

How the fuck was today the first time I ever used herb passata in my ragu?

Fucking KNOCKOUT dinner ..featuring "zuchetti" also..which is absolutely gorgeous

Zuchetti is fried courgette instead of spaghetti..I'm on an anti white flour thing at the minute..well refined carbs

It was more linguine than spaghetti..I cut the courgette into three strips and then went at it with the peeler.It worked a treat tbh.
Fried up in olive oil and garlic it was easily nicer than pasta..and at 29c on special in Aldi you can't go wrong!

And healthy!

My sister said she's gonna get me a julienne peeler to do the job right

I had an idea today incidentally...to do a blog about living solely on whats on weekly special in Aldi and Lidl .

You would certainly be eating a varied and healthy diet

Made my first ever turkey mince chilli there..first time ever even using that shit for anything ..but its going into rotation.
In fact I'd say thats the end of beef chilli in this house.
Get a load of the macronutritional profile of turkey mince..its lean AF

Also,trying to keep red meat bi weekly these days so this is a move in the right direction

Turkey mince is deadly.I use so much of it for turkey meatballs.Brown an onion,throw in a tbsp or two each of cumin,coriander + chilli,mix in with a kilo of turkey mince.Golfball em,brown them on the pan,then into the oven for 15/20 minutes.Deadly on the side of a salad or with 4 or 5 thrown into soup

what @jimmybreeze said. also burgers, shepherd's pie (matthews' pie?), koftas, meatloaf.
on the flip side, i've recently started to use lard again - did stuffed pork steak for sunday lunch today and used it in the stuffing as well as for roasting the spuds. gave the roasties a nice, chip-shop flavour. also goes in my savoury shortcrust pastry e.g. when i'm making cornish pasties - a big hit round here lately.

for bonus points, i also made queen of puddings today for afters.

I got super lazy and just had the day two of the chilli today.

Incredible. Turkey mince is unreal..it takes on all the flavour of whatever you cook it with.

got home early from work today so i knocked out, from scratch (except for the curry paste): onion bhajis, pilau rice and green fish curry. the kids lapped it up, even the two y.o.
2m2b71w.jpg

eldest turned 10 last sunday. she requested duck with roast root veg and roast spuds for sunday lunch, but the highlight was my first pavlova. pro-standard:
2nve5y0.jpg

what are the logistics of that i.e. how much wood? how soon can you cook on it after lighting? for how long? presumably for outdoor use?
Definitely for outdoor use, there's a lot of smoke (while the fire is establishing itself) and a lot of heat coming off it when it's going. I bought a bag of kiln dried logs in Woodies and have gotten two goes out of it so far, reckon there's one more cook left in the bag.

Ours is a metal oven with a stone floor, traditional design is all stone but this one is easier to work with. Takes about 30-45 min to get up to 350 degrees, didn't push it too far yet but I got it up to about 425 degrees at one point. Pizza's take about 2-3 minutes to cook and we must have done about 12 last weekend when the family was up. Stays hot for a while and all you need to do is chuck another log on to keep it going.

I'm going to try doing bread in it this weekend and maybe do a roast meat in it some time soon. Reckon I can also use it as a smoker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back