The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

Ah, Helmet = post-hardcore surely. (Suffering jesus).

Right confusion. I wasn't stating they were post-rock.

I think Meantime deserves its own genre.

Absolutely straddles a range of heavy styles with concision and force.

Post-rock as a term has been lost as far as mainstream press goes.

Same with emo. Sure Emo was originally coined to intend stuff like Rites of Spring but emo is something totally different now!

Different and unfortunate.

I think the Slint debate debunks post-rock as a useful term.

Instead of mythologizing it to the extent, it would be more helpful to draw the dots back to Squirrel Bait. Additionally, think of all the other bands from that era with similar tone, dynamics, etc

Bastro, Tar, Codeine, and of course Bitch Magnet.

Admittedly, there are some weirder moves on Spiderland but even the resonant talky voice can be found in loads of bands from that era.

I would claim Sooyoung Parks as the first proponent of this vulnerable vocal style - Slint were definitely influenced by Bitch Magnet, c'mon.

Also, sonically Slint are closer to a band like Lungfish than they are say Trans Am, Bark Psychosis, Stereolab, Tortoise.

Here, Nate, put that coffee down.

I think Slint listened to Gore as a big influence. They're not at all post-hardcore to my ears.

I was drinking coffee actually.

Right, I've never heard Gore. I must admit.

Frank Gore, the running back though. Bit of a thing for him.

Still, I think my point stands. Plus, there is a whole Louisville scene like Crain and that stuff from the early 90s.

Quicksand and Dischord stuff would be the classic post-hardcore sound, but I think if you prefix 'post' to any existing genre it has to or should cover a far wider range of stuff than the original model. As a term it should complicate the original genre but not to the point of ridicule.

I never listened to a slint album but their gig in vicar street 10 years ago was one of the worst musical experiences of my life. Pure shite.

Yep, I saw them elsewhere on that tour and they were pure muck. Shame really, as the first record is really great.

Instead of mythologizing it to the extent, it would be more helpful to draw the dots back to Squirrel Bait.

this squirrel bait family tree is from mid-90s:

squirrelbait_family_tree.jpg

I never listened to a slint album but their gig in vicar street 10 years ago was one of the worst musical experiences of my life. Pure shite.

3 friends of mine felt the same about them at Primavera, i thought they were great

this squirrel bait family tree is from mid-90s:

squirrelbait_family_tree.jpg

hmmm, no Shrimp Boat though. Sam Prekop's pre- C in Cake band.

Modest Mouse essentially ripped off Shrimp Boat wholesale.

Never listened to Big Wheel. He of the big rock voice. The David Lee Roth of hardcore punk.

I have one King Kong album. Not good. Bought it in Mississippi Records, Portland, O though (hipster stripes again).

Also, Ben Daughtry of Squirrel Bait was the original drummer in Lemonheads? Evan Dando might spoil that little tree though!

hmmm, no Shrimp Boat though. Sam Prekop's pre- C in Cake band.

Modest Mouse essentially ripped off Shrimp Boat wholesale.

i guess shrimp boat are only tangentially related to squirrel bait through mcentire's involvement with the sea and cake and bastro. both prekop (oddly missing from that family tree) and eriic claridge (neé schneller, i.e. ian's brother) were in shrimp boat. their song 'smooth ass' is my wife's and my "our song"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the shrimp boat 4cd box on aum fidelity is amazing - from the earliest mid-80s stuff right up to the post-cavale session which is on a par with the first sea and cake lp. in fact, i've reconstructed their final, unreleased album, which i called saudade, from those tapes, but they split before rough trade could release it, which is why the first sea and cake lp came out on rough trade first - prekop basically owed them an lp [/sea and cake nerd]

if you take grubbs as the trunk of that tree, you could arguably include codeine, bitch magnet, seam (whose 'the problem with me' is all-time top 20 for me), directions in music and quite a few others, so maybe early lemonheads isn't such a stretch...

ETA: i don't know modest mouse at all. can you point me towards something that echoes shrimp boat?

Last edited:
Used to hate this song back when i was 15 or so, just listening now, it's so amazing

@RayRay you were much more tolerant of George back then, good on ye.

if you take grubbs as the trunk of that tree, you could arguably include codeine, bitch magnet, seam (whose 'the problem with me' is all-time top 20 for me), directions in music and quite a few others, so maybe early lemonheads isn't such a stretch...

ETA: i don't know modest mouse at all. can you point me towards something that echoes shrimp boat?

Yep, one of my favourites too. Goosebump central. Arguably prefer to it Bitch Magnet. Some great lyrics on that album. It is vulnerability in excelsis!

Right from the get-go with 'Rafael'

"I turn out the lights when I'm thinking about you."

Can't really pinpoint anything. Not big enough into Modest Mouse to accurately direct you anywhere. I suppose that album Cavale reminds me of Modest Mouse - the Prekop vocals on that record seem similar to your man Brock and that sort of skittish rhythm you get on certain MM. As if Shrimp Boat had acted as a template for a certain form of indie that was to come in their aftermath.

Thus my 'wholesale' comment was perhaps a little crude in terms of judgement!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back