The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

I heard Mogwai on the The Returned soundtrack. I liked it so I bought the soundtrack cd.

So I guess this means I'm a post rock aficionado now?

I haven't heard Sigur Ros though.

Lads seriously though, all post-rock is shite. Without exception. Fucking embarrassing music composed entirely of crescendo's.

hmmmm, bands of a certain kind dynamically inclined to a... re: mogwai, explosions.

On a positive note, the best possible exponent would be Trans Am

Drummer is an absolute amped up dickhead though. Cool the steroids, bro.

That's certainly true of Explosions in the Sky. Their gig in Tripod was like one big endless crescendo, an empty abyss of false emotion.

Awful gig. They were good in the Hub before then! No bullshit 40 minute set.

Would never have thought to call Trams Am post-rock. Post-rock I usually think as devoid of the funk (and I don't mean that Tortoise elevator music), whereas Trans Am bring the funk with abandon.

you are a pup and make no mistake.

Trans Am epitomize post-rock in a lot ways. Faceless, awesome music. I have a lot of time for Phil Manley.

Tortoise are class. Check out Millions Now Living for fucksake.

Anyway, as time passes, I find myself designating bands historically.
Right now I'm listening to Helmet's meantime - surely the best album of 1991, Steadt Diet notwithstanding?

Would never have thought to call Trams Am post-rock. Post-rock I usually think as devoid of the funk (and I don't mean that Tortoise elevator music), whereas Trans Am bring the funk with abandon.
Trans Am are one of the originals that Simon Reynolds cited when he coined the term post rock in 1995. The idea of post rock solely being instrumental music a la Mogwai came later because all the bands who made it big (in a relative sense) all sounded similar.

Reynolds meant the term to mean all the idiosyncratic and difficult to classify bands that appeared in the mid-90s (like Trans Am, Labradford and even stuff like Bardo Pond, none of whom sound roughly similar). It was to grunge what post-punk was to punk; taking the blueprint and pulling in influences from far outside the traditional rock sphere. Now post punk means angular rock and post rock means instrumental rock but for a while it was a far wider umbrella.

here's reynolds' piece that started it all:

ReynoldsRetro

postrockcountry.jpg

you are a pup and make no mistake.

Trans Am epitomize post-rock in a lot ways. Faceless, awesome music. I have a lot of time for Phil Manley.

Tortoise are class. Check out Millions Now Living for fucksake.

Anyway, as time passes, I find myself designating bands historically.
Right now I'm listening to Helmet's meantime - surely the best album of 1991, Steadt Diet notwithstanding?

Ah, Helmet = post-hardcore surely. (Suffering jesus).

Did I see the drummer from Helmet in a lock in in the Dice Bar one time? Is that possible? I have a memory of this but I was very drunk.

Yep, post-rock as a term was totally co-opted by a particular widescreen instrumental sound in the late 90s.

I remember reading a Select magazine article from late 97 on it where they cited Tortoise, Stereolab, Trans Am, Salaryman.

Jesus, Select magazine taking a break from britpop nonsense and trying to be all varied. Sister, purleeze!

Anyway, they were way too late in the day to be banging on about it.

Bark Psychosis were the first 90s band to be pegged with the term. Retrospectively Spiderland is considered the post-rock ur-text. But I think Slint would be more accurately placed as a type of post-hardcore or proto-math. More helpful historical terms.

Term 'post-rock' was first used by Susan Sontag as an idea in I think 1965.

The term is completely meaningless now. I suppose at a certain point in the 90s, Stereolab were the classic post-rock band - particularly as Tim Gane seemed enthusiastic about being saddled with the term.

I actually like a fair amount of post-hardcore stuff so it's definitely different to post-rock.

FYI everyone.

I know you're all following my tastes with great interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back